1911Threaded Barrel needed for Springfield Operator

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

1911Threaded Barrel needed for Springfield Operator

Post by Joker31D »

I was given "Presented with" a Springfield Operator back in 2011, now I ordered an Osprey and it came in, now while I'm waiting for my stamp I'd like to get a threaded barrel for it. I am pretty able when it comes to fitting and have fitted things like bushings, Comps and Magwells but prefer something easy to fit. Any suggestions? I have heard the Storm Lake's are hard to fit. I see Sig 1911 barrels everywhere. Do they work in a Springfield? I am a Sig Armorer but only their P series pistols not the 1911's.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: 1911Threaded Barrel needed for Springfield Operator

Post by chrismartin »

Any and all 1911 barrels need to be fit to the gun. Some barrels will drop right in, some won't.
I would not say that there are any particular barrels that are easier than any other, except for the one that are specifically stated to be "Hard fit" or "Gunsmith fit" barrels, which would be much harder going.
Kart for example has two barrels, one an "EZ-Fit" and the other a "Hard fit". Obviously, the Hard Fit barrel is harder to fit :)
The same goes for Storm Lake. If you get the "Drop In" barrel, you will have an easier time.

I have installed three Storm Lake 1911 barrels. One was super easy, the other two were harder going.
My Sig 1911 barrel dropped right in to my Sig 1911 with very little effort, similar to the easy storm lake barrel (Just had to adjust the hood length.)
That was in a sig slide, however. I could not say that the sig barrel would be any easier in a non-sig slide.
Even if the barrel drops right in and hand cycles, that doesn't mean that it's properly fit to the gun. There are a lot more timing issues with the 1911 than there are with other semi-auto's. You could drop in the barrel and have it work, but could be damaging the slide or barrel with each shot. Hood length, lug engagement, slide stop/lower lug engagement, link height, etc. all come into play with the 1911.

There are many resources on the web for fitting a 1911 barrel and what is involved. Remember, you could always send it to a gunsmith if needed.
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

I also have a SA TRP Operator . I used a Jarvis threaded bull-barrel with an SWR HEMS2 . With water , it is very quiet , and recoil is just about non-existent . I have seen a few threads concerning lug damage with the heavy threaded barrel . There do not appear to be issues with a standard barrel , per others' posts . I don't shoot it enough to give experienced data on wear and tear ...
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

still looking for a barrel, the Jarvis barrel he listed for some reason I cant find in stock, for less than $400 anyway. Found a storm lake, anyone have experience with them?

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

You should find a good smith that works on 1911 pistols.Its not a hard job fitting a barrel but the right tools are needed.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

EFK Fire Dragon.
I have a .40 barrel for a SIG 239 and it was perfect.
I most likely will get a barrel for my Ruger SR1911 from them.

Lateck,
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I can do some work, I just never messed with 1911's, I was a backup armorer in the Army but it mainly color by numbers or parts changing. I am a Colt trained Armorer for AR15/M16/M4A1 but 1911's take a skill set I never developed.

I had a problem with a firedragon P229 barrel, they screwed it up 3 times. but that was years ago, back when they first started.

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I've fitted two storm lake barrels and they are a very good bang for the buck and go on sale often . I cut and threaded a 6" to a $280 Norinco that out shoots most . :lol:

Stay away from fire dragon and don't buy a loose barrel, at least get semi fit.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I recommend Storm Lake's gunsmith fit barrel. I've got a few in my personal guns and my local gunsmith builds some pretty serious 1911s and that is the barrel he uses in all of them.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K