Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Post Reply
713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

My first post here, but I've been backstage reading for a while now. What a wealth of knowledge on here, thank you all for that.

I've recently caught the can bug, and I am currently waiting on stamps for a Ti-Rant 45, Osprey 45, Osprey 9.

I am looking for one more 9mm can for my HK USP Compact 9.

My two options are either the Ti-Rant 9 or 9s. I can't decide. I know that going with the full size 9 can will give me max db reduction, but I will have a larger can. If I went with the 9s, it would allow me to have a more compact package paired with my compact pistol, but less db reduction.

I'm not too sure which route would be better. I would like to know what you guys would do. Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

Cheers!

CThomas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by CThomas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 pm

If you like to shoot a lot I would think the 9s would get old quick.
If you want to go small go small and look into a can like the DeGroat "Nano" or the Thompson Machine "Poseidon".

713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 pm

CThomas wrote:If you like to shoot a lot I would think the 9s would get old quick.
If you want to go small go small and look into a can like the DeGroat "Nano" or the Thompson Machine "Poseidon".
CT, why do you think the 9S will get old quick?

CThomas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by CThomas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 pm

As I said if you like to shoot a lot you will have to recharge the system after "X" number of rounds and that might get old. Of course you can just shoot it dry and deal with the increased noise.

dan9591
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dan9591 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Compact for what? Are you going to conceal carry it?.

If its just a range gun, go with the standard size.

If you plan on mounting a light you will get less shadowing with the short.

Having shot both, I honestly could not tell a difference so I went with the short. I'm happy with it.

713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:36 pm

dan9591 wrote:Compact for what? Are you going to conceal carry it?.

If its just a range gun, go with the standard size.

If you plan on mounting a light you will get less shadowing with the short.

Having shot both, I honestly could not tell a difference so I went with the short. I'm happy with it.
Thank you for this info.

This gun will be my HD night stand piece. I really just want a can I can leave by my bed in case of an emergency. Having a can that would allow the host to be quiet enough to not disorient my members in the home.

I'm thinking for range use and max db suppression, I will use my Osprey 9 if I go with the 9S.

I'm leaning towards the 9S for its portability and compact benefits, but would also like to know what others would suggest.

713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:39 pm

CThomas wrote:As I said if you like to shoot a lot you will have to recharge the system after "X" number of rounds and that might get old. Of course you can just shoot it dry and deal with the increased noise.
CT, your suggestions look interesting. Those were not on my radar as I've not seen them around before. I do like that you can keep your cans wet until use.

713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 am

Dan95,

Is the 9s hearing safe dry? Does it make your ears ring when dry?

Also, if anyone owns a 9s, please do let me know your thoughts.

dtom29
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 pm
Location: Pa.

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dtom29 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:31 am

My thought has always been that I buy a silencer for the Db reduction. I pay the price plus $200 and wait +/- 10 months. I'm not interested in buying half the available Db reduction to save 3 inches. When you are going to be sitting this in a nightstand(very good idea by the way) will that 3 inches really make a difference? The only problem I see is when you get the TRant you're going to wonder why you bought the Octane.... :mrgreen:

dan9591
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dan9591 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 am

713HoustonTX wrote:
dan9591 wrote:Compact for what? Are you going to conceal carry it?.

If its just a range gun, go with the standard size.

If you plan on mounting a light you will get less shadowing with the short.

Having shot both, I honestly could not tell a difference so I went with the short. I'm happy with it.
Thank you for this info.

This gun will be my HD night stand piece. I really just want a can I can leave by my bed in case of an emergency. Having a can that would allow the host to be quiet enough to not disorient my members in the home.

I'm thinking for range use and max db suppression, I will use my Osprey 9 if I go with the 9S.

I'm leaning towards the 9S for its portability and compact benefits, but would also like to know what others would suggest.
That is exactly my setup. Tirant 9s for bedside and osprey 9 for range.

dan9591
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dan9591 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 am

713HoustonTX wrote:Dan95,

Is the 9s hearing safe dry? Does it make your ears ring when dry?

Also, if anyone owns a 9s, please do let me know your thoughts.
Absolutely hearing safe with subs. No ringing at all.

dan9591
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dan9591 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 am

dtom29 wrote:My thought has always been that I buy a silencer for the Db reduction. I pay the price plus $200 and wait +/- 10 months. I'm not interested in buying half the available Db reduction to save 3 inches. When you are going to be sitting this in a nightstand(very good idea by the way) will that 3 inches really make a difference? The only problem I see is when you get the TRant you're going to wonder why you bought the Octane.... :mrgreen:
Yes, the reduced length makes a noticeable difference. If you need a light on your gun, the extra length casts a longer shadow.

Yes, you can use a handheld light, but that takes two hands. If I'm going to devote two hands, Ill use a rifle...

713HoustonTX
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by 713HoustonTX » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:25 pm

dan9591 wrote:
713HoustonTX wrote:Dan95,

Is the 9s hearing safe dry? Does it make your ears ring when dry?

Also, if anyone owns a 9s, please do let me know your thoughts.
Absolutely hearing safe with subs. No ringing at all.
Thanks for this info Dan! Much appreciated.

User avatar
Emilio
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by Emilio » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Configuration Sound Meter Readings
Unsuppressed M&P 153 dB
Ti-RANT 9mm 125 dB
Ti-RANT 9mm (Short) 140 dB
Depends on the definition of hearing safe. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!

dan9591
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by dan9591 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Emilio wrote:
Configuration Sound Meter Readings
Unsuppressed M&P 153 dB
Ti-RANT 9mm 125 dB
Ti-RANT 9mm (Short) 140 dB
Depends on the definition of hearing safe. :mrgreen:
Meh. After a while it all just sounds like bubble wrap anyways!

But yes, you are correct. I made that statement because I tested it out in an environment similar to my home, without ear pro, and it was hearing safe TO ME. Someone else... you're on your own!

Totally unscientific conditions were typical sea-level south Florida, so hot and humid, using 9mm Winchester RA9B 147 grain Subsonic. Pistol was a Glock 17 with a TiRant 9S can. Your results may vary.

User avatar
Conqueror
Elite Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: RTP, NC

Re: Need advice on either Ti-Rant 9 or 9s

Post by Conqueror » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 pm

USPs are gob-smacking giant pistols. Their "Compact" versions are still the size of many duty pistols. The Tirant-9 will not look out of place on a USPc and will sound much better than the 9s. Fullsize gets my vote.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]

Post Reply