Lightweight suppressor for a Grendel build...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Lightweight suppressor for a Grendel build...

Post by Variable556 »

Edit: I only need suppressor advice. I should have anticipated this happening, and worded it more carefully.LOL The caliber is set, and I'm sure your favorite caliber works great for you. This one works great for me. :lol: :D

I'm contemplating doing a lightweight Grendel build, and I'm wondering what suppressor to factor into it.

I have a regular (non-lightweight) 10.5" Grendel that I run my old 7.62SD on, and it works great, but I want to build something new that is on a serious diet. I want to build with a Balios receiver set, Ti BCG, etc. For weight concerns I'd use a very slimmed 12.5" lightweight barrel, and a thread on can.

I'm currently looking at the Liberty Triumph, and I'm wondering how it'd work if they'd bore it for use on a 6.5mm? Liberty seems well liked, but I can't seem to find much info about the Triumph can in the wild. I only see a handful of videos posted far and wide across the net. Anybody here have one? Do you like it? Does it spark? I realize the Grendel is a larger cartridge, but it also runs at lower pressures, so maybe it'd equal out? I dunno...

I'm also looking at the SilencerCo Harvester. It seems ideal for it's weight and my intended use, but it's considerably longer than I'd like to go. For a short light carbine build.

My concerns in ranked order of importance:

1.) Weight
2.) Length
3.) Don't want sparks (from Ti)
4.) dB Reduction
5.) Durability
6.) Cost (within common sense of course!LOL)

What do you all think?
Last edited by Variable556 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
AAC 762-SD, AAC M4-2000 ('06), AAC TiRant 45, Bowers CAC-9, SWR Trident 9, SWR Spectre, YHM Mite....
Ordering next...?
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Lightweight suppressor for a Grendel build...

Post by Variable556 »

Hmmm, AAC's Ranger 3 looks interesting too. I wonder if it could be ordered for a 6.5? Probably not since they joined big green, or maybe so?
AAC 762-SD, AAC M4-2000 ('06), AAC TiRant 45, Bowers CAC-9, SWR Trident 9, SWR Spectre, YHM Mite....
Ordering next...?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

10.5" to a 12.5" Grendel ? ..... Um.... OK

Two things...

One, you have 4 cans maybe that are going to fill your lightweight quota. Try Thunderbeast for a custom bore Ti can I guess.... Maybe gemtech's Ti can.

Two, just going out on a limb here. But either you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Or you have no idea. I'd highly recommend taking a defensive carbine class AND a precision carbine class then evaluate what you are doing with SBR 6.5G. It's possible you really do have a great purpose, and I honestly do not care what it is. But something tells me 556 or MAYBE 300blk is actually what you want. But whatever.
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

este wrote:10.5" to a 12.5" Grendel ? ..... Um.... OK

Two things...

One, you have 4 cans maybe that are going to fill your lightweight quota. Try Thunderbeast for a custom bore Ti can I guess.... Maybe gemtech's Ti can.

Two, just going out on a limb here. But either you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Or you have no idea. I'd highly recommend taking a defensive carbine class AND a precision carbine class then evaluate what you are doing with SBR 6.5G. It's possible you really do have a great purpose, and I honestly do not care what it is. But something tells me 556 or MAYBE 300blk is actually what you want. But whatever.
Yes definitely 12.5" Grendel.LOL I have been in the Grendel game for a long time (in Grendel terms anyway). I have 3 Grendels in 19.5", 14.5", and 10.5". I am well aware of the cartridges attributes. I'm quite happy with my 10.5" for most stuff, but would like a little more velocity for some things and I'm currently jonesing to do a lightweight build. Hence the search for a lightweight can.

In looking at the Thunderbeast 30PS and 30PSS, I note that they use all Ti construction, and I don't want a can that sparks when I shoot it. I'm not sure how much of an issue that'd be, but I've seen vids of sparking Ti cans, and I definitely don't want that happening. I see the same possible problem with Gemtech's GMT-300BLK can and their 5.56 Trek-T. Anybody here using a Ti can on a SBR that can chime in on spark issues? Especially the Trek-T or 30PSS?

If it doesn't spark, the Trek-T or 30PSS (bored for 6.5) would be about ideal for what I'm wanting. I have never been a Gemtech fan (past shenanigans), but this could maybe motivate me. I kept the Triumph in consideration because I either read or heard in a video (can't remember which) that the Triumph is lined (somehow) to stop/reduce sparking.

While digging around tonight I finally realized that the Liberty Triumph and the AAC Ranger 3 don't appear to have actually shipped out. I guess that's why I can't find user feedback on them. :oops: :lol:

For your second thing: I'm not understanding exactly where you are going there? I'd like to go to some outside carbine courses, but as a FLEO I don't have the time or money to allocate for things like that. I do train at work though, and I used to be a weapons instructor from pistol through beltfeds and grenades when I was still in the service. Not trying to be a smartass by saying that, just that "yes" I've been around the block a few times at least. :D

5.56 and 300 Black? I have lots of 5.56 rifles, but prefer the energy of the Grendel. I think the 300 Black is pretty interesting and can see where it'd be useful, but I have more than enough cartridges to keep up with it as-is.LOL The 6.5 fills the roles I have for it perfectly.

Anywhoo--- Thanks on directing my attention towards the Trek-T. My dislike of the brand name made me miss that one.
Ordering next...?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

A 6.5 gren with that short of barrel is like having a 4 banger engine in a new Vette
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

Just found this vid comparing the 30PSS, the 30PS, and the Harvester.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xSt-IDgl44

I was thinking about the 30PSS, but that vid leads me to believe it'd probably be a bit louder than I'd like. The Harvester is pretty darn interesting, but if only it wasn't so darn long!LOL I wish it was available without the muzzle brake and with just a tad shorter stack.
Ordering next...?
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'm building a SBR grendel as well and chose the Silencerco Saker 7.62 for it, the 10.5 Grendel works very well from the ones I have seen. I'm building mine for shooting hogs from a Helo. I tried last year with an 18" and a 14" in 5.56, both failed big time, the 5.56 didnt knock the bigger ones down and the 6.5 was too heavy to keep up without a strap and the owner of the helo wont allow a mounted platform because its a sightseeing helo most of the time. It was a pita to get permission to fly with the door off of it. He had to put up a plexi rear windshield to do it.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

Joker31D wrote:I'm building a SBR grendel as well and chose the Silencerco Saker 7.62 for it, the 10.5 Grendel works very well from the ones I have seen. I'm building mine for shooting hogs from a Helo. I tried last year with an 18" and a 14" in 5.56, both failed big time, the 5.56 didnt knock the bigger ones down and the 6.5 was too heavy to keep up without a strap and the owner of the helo wont allow a mounted platform because its a sightseeing helo most of the time. It was a pita to get permission to fly with the door off of it. He had to put up a plexi rear windshield to do it.
You're going to have a lot of fun.LOL For what you're wanting, the Saker should work well. The .308 cans work great on Grendel (of course) because they have plenty of volume.

I love my old 762-SD on my 10.5", but I just want something much lighter for humping around. I'm going 12.5" also to stretch the range for energy threshold. I normally take my 14.5" when it's going to be medium-ish distance, but I'm thinking a 12.5" would split the difference nicely. The 12.5" can run a 123 Amax or SST at about 2300 to 2350fps, and that's good for 800 plus foot pounds at 400 yards (at my altitude) and will still expand at that distance.

Here's my 10.5" and my 14.5".

Ordering next...?
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

AAC used to make an M4-2000 in 6.8.
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

Yeah, it was the same as the old M4-2000 (pre-M4-1000) I have now IIRC. A bit heavier than I'd like, and not a thread on. I need direct thread on to negate weight. I plan on using the raciest new parts to shave every ounce I reasonably can.
Ordering next...?
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

That's all I've got to contribute. Nice project and good luck!
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

Anyone here have any experience with the Templar Ark30 SBR, Nemesis 30 SBR, TBAC 30PS, Griffin Sportsman .30, or SAS Reaper on a short barreled AR?
Ordering next...?