Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

cflshooter
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 am

Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa.

Post by cflshooter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:25 pm

I saw this on the Spikes Tactical Facebook page. We need 100000 signatures. Get signing people.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/wVgXbqP8

User avatar
este
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by este » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:43 pm

lol

66427vette
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1873
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by 66427vette » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Pipe dream .

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am
Location: FL

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by rimshaker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Ain't happening. Sadly, NFA 1934 is too firmly entrenched in our laws.

DMY
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by DMY » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 pm

I signed it. At least we have the right to petition the government in this country. It's not to be taken for granted.

Some countries don't allow petitioning the government. Their citizens die fighting for such rights...

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by Bendersquint » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Its been at 75 signatures all day after at least 50 more people have signed it that I know of!

The counter isn't working......coincidence?

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by redtazdog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm

I like it the way it is :twisted:
+ if we bitch too much it may be a wake up call and then the price of a tax stamp of 1934 prices may inflate to
2014 price or some change that could take us out of the game.
If you have one NFA item its too late to stay low so even if they did remove silencers from the nfa
as of 2014 all others made before will still be nfa.
$200 aint s--t compared to what it could be.
If the Big O knew more about nfa items in the American peoples hands I bet he would be trying to change something to price us out of the game.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am
Location: FL

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by rimshaker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:18 pm

redtazdog wrote:I like it the way it is :twisted:
+ if we bitch too much it may be a wake up call and then the price of a tax stamp of 1934 prices may inflate to
2014 price or some change that could take us out of the game.
If you have one NFA item its too late to stay low so even if they did remove silencers from the nfa
as of 2014 all others made before will still be nfa.
$200 aint s--t compared to what it could be.
If the Big O knew more about nfa items in the American peoples hands I bet he would be trying to change something to price us out of the game.
Try ~$3500 in today's money. And even THAT number is way understated since it's going by the "official" inflation rate calculated by the Feds :shock:

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by redtazdog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 pm

rimshaker wrote:
redtazdog wrote:I like it the way it is :twisted:
+ if we bitch too much it may be a wake up call and then the price of a tax stamp of 1934 prices may inflate to
2014 price or some change that could take us out of the game.
If you have one NFA item its too late to stay low so even if they did remove silencers from the nfa
as of 2014 all others made before will still be nfa.
$200 aint s--t compared to what it could be.
If the Big O knew more about nfa items in the American peoples hands I bet he would be trying to change something to price us out of the game.
Try ~$3500 in today's money. And even THAT number is way understated since it's going by the "official" inflation rate calculated by the Feds :shock:
Even if they bumped it up to $1000 per stamp most would be out of the game.

cflshooter
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 am

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by cflshooter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:18 am

Its up to 3500 signatures now.

User avatar
DarkStar
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:02 am

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by DarkStar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Petition Created: 7/6/2014

Signatures from 7/6 through 7/10: 78

Signatures from 7/6 through 7/11 (@now): 4,285

All the activity seems to be from today.

User avatar
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Augusta, Georgia

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by TROOPER » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm

I did my part. I'm only really responding here to keep this thread near the top. I'll be asking my wife to also do this.

vike
Silent Operator
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by vike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Why would we want to mess with the chance of Big Sugar raising a lowly $200 tax fee from 1934 to $3,500+ to cover inflation :?: All that fun and waiting for the toys you have today through the current process will be all for nothing if over turned :lol: Seriously though, I don't think its a sound idea to be able to buy a suppressor over the counter as easy as ammo purchases in America :? Theres way too many idiots & murderous thugs walking around in our inner cities with guns today. Can you image a gang banging homey with a silencer :shock: . Expect a whole new can of worms being opened with much new legislation eventually if that happens here. We are an extremely litigious society anyway. Just a thought.
The few European countries who have easy silencer purchasing do not have the amount or vareiety of firearms nor the diversity of behavior in their country. Most of those countries are pretty socialized(controlled) and homogenized so you never hear of silencer use crimes. I think America would be much different than Finland or Switzerland etc if we could buy over the counter. Though it would be nice to go to the local hardware store and walk out with a Sparrow :D Its worth a try!

Besides, even if we really get 100k signatures be sure computers can be manipulated through applied software just like our current voting process is now in some states, if not all. Do you really think the controllers will allow such a thing forward? The same reason we will be stuck with the one party system pretending to be two forever. Republicrats and Demicans. Votes should only be counted by hand, NEVER computers. Gosh we are stupid for allowing The Man to pull this one off. :roll:
Those who vote have no say, while those who count the votes have all the say :cry:

User avatar
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Augusta, Georgia

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by TROOPER » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Freedom dies for a simple reason: because defending a never ending stream of attacks is a losing proposition. The left - and sometimes the right - asks for legislation which hampers firearm-freedoms in some way. We protest, then they settle for less. They always either break-even or win. We always either break-even, or lose.

THIS petition is about actually moving the line backward instead of simply resisting its forward movement.

They might take away more firearm freedoms if we try this?

They're going to try that no matter what.

There isn't some "status-quo" where they're satisfied and will stop pushing as long as we leave them alone.

Fight BACK - we can't 'defend' our way to a victory.

DMY
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by DMY » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:19 am

Thank you!!

TROOPER wrote:Freedom dies for a simple reason: because defending a never ending stream of attacks is a losing proposition. The left - and sometimes the right - asks for legislation which hampers firearm-freedoms in some way. We protest, then they settle for less. They always either break-even or win. We always either break-even, or lose.

THIS petition is about actually moving the line backward instead of simply resisting its forward movement.

They might take away more firearm freedoms if we try this?

They're going to try that no matter what.

There isn't some "status-quo" where they're satisfied and will stop pushing as long as we leave them alone.

Fight BACK - we can't 'defend' our way to a victory.

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by redtazdog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:55 am

If they raise the tax they are not taking away our freedom to have nfa items, they would be pricing the average person out of the game.
Back in the early 1990's I used to see silencer tubes and end caps on gun show tables on the east side of the building and baffles on the west side.
This went on for a couple years until some dumb ass cried to atf and soon after the rules changed to any part is a silencer.
NFA is not on the news but if they get enough wind then I'm sure the sheeple will cry and soon after the rules will change again with or without your vote.
The way it is now we have to jump through hoops to have nfa items but that's not as bad as it could be if you awake the sleeping bear.
Just imagine how fast they would get banned if you could just walk in a store and purchase a can and walk out with it the same day, yes this would be great! but in reality the nut jobs on meds would soon be using them because they would be easier to get and a mass killing spree would have tripple the deaths because nobody in the next room heard the shots.
They don't focus on the nut job , they focus on removing the tool that was used by the nut job. :roll:

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by redtazdog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:28 am

If this petition does work then great! as I think there should be no such thing as the nfa
But if it awakes the sleeping bear and you loose then you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Like I said, if you have NFA items its too late to be under the radar so having some that are not on the books wont do much for you but save $200 for each stamp.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am
Location: FL

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by rimshaker » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 am

The tax stamp was definitely a financial deterrent. The average salary in the 1930's was around $1500. The $200 tax was more than 13% of someone's salary.

Assuming today's average salary of $50k, 13% of that is $6500.... almost twice as much as the $3500 from "official" inflation stats.

Would you give up 13% of your salary just to legally own a single NFA toy? That's not even including the price of the NFA item itself!

So yea, let's not poke the bear on this one.

User avatar
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Augusta, Georgia

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by TROOPER » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 am

rimshaker wrote:The tax stamp was definitely a financial deterrent. The average salary in the 1930's was around $1500. The $200 tax was more than 13% of someone's salary.

Assuming today's average salary of $50k, 13% of that is $6500.... almost twice as much as the $3500 from "official" inflation stats.

Would you give up 13% of your salary just to legally own a single NFA toy? That's not even including the price of the NFA item itself!

So yea, let's not poke the bear on this one.
Good point. Run and hide. Don't piss off the "master".

Let better people than yourself fight for you.

User avatar
silencertalk
Site Admin
Posts: 33985
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by silencertalk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 pm

You can't tax a right. Try taxing the right to vote.

11% ammunition and gun FET is also not ok.

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 am

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by Joker31D » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:29 am

I dont think drawing attention to this is a good idea, if they did remove it from the nfa, whos to say that the protection that the nfa gives will go away and it would be opened up to an outright ban.... in govt 2 things matter:
Legislation to allow and funding to regulate.
as of right now legislation to allow is the NFA, which protects our rights as much as it restricts. Its like taking the laws out of the "Will issue" states, some would try to remove carry permits just to ban them. Many have tried to defeat the NFA from both sides but its language is bulletproof. What we need to defeat is the Gun Control Act of 1986, there is NO positive language in that law.

FET is ok because the money goes into a well regulated fund that conserves hunting property and the animals we hunt. I wrote a position paper on it for my constitutional law course. it and the Ammo test was setup by sportsmen and is regulated by sportsmen and the dept of interior.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!

User avatar
silencertalk
Site Admin
Posts: 33985
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by silencertalk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:02 pm

I would not choose to donate 11% of all of my gun and ammo purchases on hunting stuff. It is based on the mistaken notion that gun ownership is all about hunting.

skierjt
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:57 am

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by skierjt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

I actually agree with the process we have to go through to own our nfa items - it weeds out the people that don't really want them. But the wait times are outrageous and need to be addressed somehow in my opinion.

User avatar
cwilliams
Elite Member
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:32 am
Location: KY

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by cwilliams » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm

This really needs to happen.

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by redtazdog » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 pm

sgtmajor wrote:This really needs to happen.
And if it did soon after they would get banned, careful what you wish for

Post Reply