Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Liberty Suppress

Re: Whitehouse.gov petition to remove silencers from the nfa

Post by Liberty Suppress »

DMY wrote:I signed it. At least we have the right to petition the government in this country. It's not to be taken for granted.

Some countries don't allow petitioning the government. Their citizens die fighting for such rights...

...and this is exactly why I went on there and signed it!

Tim @ Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Ah too funny that anyone thinks a whitehouse.gov petition is "fighting for your rights"

All you're doing by making a list like that, a list which WILL fail to get to 100k, is showing how much of a minority you are. They can't get mag limits past because of millions of people protesting those changes - ok - Well, what else can we do? Oh look, here are 40,000 people that we can stomp all over with little difficulty. Thanks for enumerating yourselves for us to see how insignificant you are with so very little effort required on our part!

That's nice you signed it Liberty co, now maybe you guys could go back in time and not go on The Daily Show because I'm not sure we need a lot of "help" like that. Oh Oh, I know! Maybe to increase awareness of silencers we could ask some Open Carry Texas "advocates" to attach cans to their long guns in public... You know... Raising awareness could never go wrong, right!?

I now refer back to my original post in this topic.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Don't be a sheep, fight the fight, right the wrongs.

There would be no independence if people didn't want to rock the boat. :wink:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

este wrote:Ah too funny that anyone thinks a whitehouse.gov petition is "fighting for your rights"

All you're doing by making a list like that, a list which WILL fail to get to 100k, is showing how much of a minority you are. They can't get mag limits past because of millions of people protesting those changes - ok - Well, what else can we do? Oh look, here are 40,000 people that we can stomp all over with little difficulty. Thanks for enumerating yourselves for us to see how insignificant you are with so very little effort required on our part!

That's nice you signed it Liberty co, now maybe you guys could go back in time and not go on The Daily Show because I'm not sure we need a lot of "help" like that. Oh Oh, I know! Maybe to increase awareness of silencers we could ask some Open Carry Texas "advocates" to attach cans to their long guns in public... You know... Raising awareness could never go wrong, right!?

And all your a$$hole posts are good for gun and NFA owners. ( kettle black) :idea:
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

este wrote:Ah too funny that anyone thinks a whitehouse.gov petition is "fighting for your rights"

All I ever see from you is post full of butt hurt and negativity lol.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
plumber576
Silent Operator

Post by plumber576 »

I signed with the expectation that nothing will change but at least someone will notice.
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

Good old facebook activism, just like the myspace activism before that, and the random scrap of paper stapled to a telephone pole activism before that.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Deathray wrote:
Good old facebook activism, just like the myspace activism before that, and the random scrap of paper stapled to a telephone pole activism before that.

And before that Paul Revere and lanterns in steeples. :idea: silly people. :mrgreen:
zeiss

Post by zeiss »

No, it probably won't happen,BUT we must try and let some know what are feelings are. If we don't try, then just sit back and let the Powers To Be run over us. Is that what you want ?. Not me.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Emilio wrote:
Deathray wrote:

And before that Paul Revere and lanterns in steeples. :idea: silly people. :mrgreen:
Paul Revere left his house. These petitions are beyond stupid. Even if the White House was sympathetic to our cause, it would take an act of congress to remove silencers, not an executive order. And the White House is most definitely not sympathetic to our cause. Even if 100k people signed, which they won't, this would only cause a chuckle in the Oval Office before being immediately tossed in the garbage.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
zeiss

Post by zeiss »

As of 10:35 AM CDT. 64,238.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Which means what, exactly? That 65,000 people have no idea how the White House petition system works? That 65,000 people in the NFA community are clueless armchair activists?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

zeiss wrote:As of 10:35 AM CDT. 64,238.
I just clicked on the actual petition. There are only 36,000 signatures. 65,000 is the number remaining to reach the 100k mark. Christ, if the people signing this can't even read a website or perform basic addition, why does anyone bother?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Conqueror wrote: Paul Revere left his house. These petitions are beyond stupid. Even if the White House was sympathetic to our cause, it would take an act of congress to remove silencers, not an executive order. And the White House is most definitely not sympathetic to our cause. Even if 100k people signed, which they won't, this would only cause a chuckle in the Oval Office before being immediately tossed in the garbage.
Yes, Paul Revere left his house and went directly to the taverns where people got drunk and talked ( like today's net) I'm sure that caused a chuckle too. ( at first :mrgreen: )

Every root starts a a seed, nothing gets done sitting on your hands.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Emilio wrote:...
Here's another root to seed.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... p/h3YQxFCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

lol
swapmeet

Post by swapmeet »

I don't think a petition would get this done, but the wait times really are the issue.

I can't speak for anyone else, but $200 isn't breaking me. I consider it "cost of entry" for the NFA world.
But the 4-6month wait times are ridiculous. Imagine if the ATF had a expedite fee of $200 on top of the stamp. So many people would pay that simply because people in today's fast food society want instant gratification.

FWIW, the points in this conversation are the tip of the iceberg for a much bigger discussion. Do we sit back and mind our business trying not to attact attention or do we stand up for whats important to us?

This applies to any subject, but the most important factor in the equation is WHEN do you stand up? When do you say 'enough is enough?'

Perhaps this isn't the subject or the time to stand up. I just hope those who ridicule this idea don't always "stand down" against the those who look to legislate against the freedoms we enjoy.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

I sincerely doubt anything in the NFA rules will get better for us until after a "government reset". In fact, I suspect they will get materially worse in the near term. I, for one, will not be signing that petition as I don't want to be the mole in "whack a mole".

I do not wish for a reset as that will be a Very Bad Thing(tm) that will cause much pain and suffering for most people.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

swapmeet wrote: This applies to any subject, but the most important factor in the equation is WHEN do you stand up? .
I think this is the key point here. Considering that sugar bear is in the big house, ....maybe this term isnt the right time to bring up this fight. Sun Su states "One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant". Seems to me that we are not in the best political position to attack at this moment. Best to wait till we have a friend (if there was ever such a thing) in the big house.
Blackhorse Scout
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

What about this is not "sitting on your hands?"

Typing your name and email into a website and clicking "submit" does not make you an activist. I used to be a national media liaison for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. I was on the radio, on TV, in newspapers, etc. the reason I got fed up and quit is that everyone seems to think that Facebook-based activism is the same as regular activism. That by clicking "Like" or signing a petition, they are somehow "fighting for the cause" and can pay themselves on the back. I got news for you, it ain't the same. SCCC basically became a handful of dedicated individuals doing real work, and tens of thousands of members doing virtually nothing. Online petitions are just like Facebook groups; joining requires virtually no effort and is meaningless to anyone who opposes you. Don't fool yourself into thinking this is "fighting for your rights." There are cat memes that have half a million Likes on Facebook, what makes anyone think that 100,000 Likes for an NFA petition will somehow motivate Obama to care about silencers, or Congress to revise an 80-year-old law?
DMY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DMY »

Edit: Correction - 37k signatures!
Last edited by DMY on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

DMY wrote:Almost up to 63,000 people. Not bad!
I didn't read it that way .... it has 37K and needs 62K more
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

Emilio wrote: Every root starts a a seed, nothing gets done sitting on your hands.
WTF do you think these petitions are? They do nothing, it is nothing more than an outlet for the facespace activist types to make themselves feel special.