Cleaning my aluminum baffles - how?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Euroguy

Cleaning my aluminum baffles - how?

Post by Euroguy »

Let me start off by saying that I've searched extensively on this forum and on google. Search results tend to be based on stainless steel baffles or non-serviceable Pilots.

I have a 3 year old AAC Pilot 2 w/ about 5,000 rounds through it that's never been cleaned. I tried taking the baffles out, but they won't budge so I've got the AAC tool on it's way from Midway. I hope that works...

I do not own an ultrasonic cleaner, a tumbler, or even a compressor. What is a solvent I can use to clean the baffles that won't damage the anodizing or aluminum? Can I use a brass brush? I'm not concerned with making it squeaky clean - the thing is caked right now and still functions fine. I just want to get most of it off.

Edit: After even more extensive searching, it looks like soda blasting is the only way to really do this?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Cleaning my aluminum baffles - how?

Post by chrismartin »

Pretty much soda blasting or brass brush.

I will never own another centerfire pistol or rimfire silencer with aluminum baffles.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I blast mine with glass beads at around 80psi.
Euroguy

Post by Euroguy »

I noticed in the manual the first baffle is Stainless Steel. Is that baffle (and that one alone) safe to use the "dip" with? I was very surprised how clean the suppressor is. There was a ton of "dust" everywhere, but the baffles themselves aren't too bad. The only one that really needs a cleaning is the first baffle. Not bad for thousands of rounds.

chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

The dip is some nasty stuff. I'd avoid it. Yes, you can dip a stainless baffle, but you are left with a hazardous chemical in the end that you have to keep around and dispose of properly.

For that stainless baffle I'd just do what you do to the aluminum baffles.
Otherwise, you could use ultrasound or wet pin tumbling, or other harsher chemicals and methods if needed.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The dip will get any SS baffle squeaky clean, literally. No manual labor on your part. But as mentioned, it's toxic stuff. I would only use it if you have no kids or pets around the house.
Euroguy

Post by Euroguy »

Just me and the dog. Could I just keep it sealed in a jar labelled as poison and reuse it multiple times? I only have one baffle to clean so <3 oz of fluid should be plenty. What is a good container for that stuff?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Euroguy wrote:Just me and the dog. Could I just keep it sealed in a jar labelled as poison and reuse it multiple times? I only have one baffle to clean so <3 oz of fluid should be plenty. What is a good container for that stuff?
Not meant to be reused. I had the same train of thought about a single baffle at first, but in reality the more solution the better, and you can use it longer. You'd be surprised how much lead can come off a single baffle. Besides, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are cheap... dollar stores have tons of them in 32oz bottles. I use a 32oz glass jar where the opening is big enough to use tongs. If a single charge isn't enough, simply empty it out and make another new batch. I use a solution for up to 24 hours each.

Milk jugs and plastic containers can hold the toxic stuff until ready for disposal at a hazmat center or maybe a landfill. And don't forget you need heavy nitrile gloves, face mask, and a plastic funnel to safely pour the solution into containers.