Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw

Post Reply
wilson12789
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am

Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by wilson12789 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 am

First ill start by saying im a toolmaker turned cmm programmer at a local machine shop, i can run lathes and mills and surface grinders decently. I own a south bend 9a lathe and im looking at getting an older bridgeport mill.

And now the questions, I have been talking with a gunshop owner here in illinois that has the class 7 ffl manufacturers license and I brought up jokingly if i was possible for me to make a silencer/suppressor the same as a firearm with personal tools and for personal use only and he told me no, obviously. He then said that he could get an SOT and i could move my lathe to his shop and start making them there to sell. I know its not simple and there would have to be test fires and more research done but ive been reading on here a lot recently.

I guess what i am trying to ask is, is the the market already flooded with manufacturers or would it be a good idea to try this out?

UtahYoteCaller
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by UtahYoteCaller » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

wilson12789 wrote:First ill start by saying im a toolmaker turned cmm programmer at a local machine shop, i can run lathes and mills and surface grinders decently. I own a south bend 9a lathe and im looking at getting an older bridgeport mill.

And now the questions, I have been talking with a gunshop owner here in illinois that has the class 7 ffl manufacturers license and I brought up jokingly if i was possible for me to make a silencer/suppressor the same as a firearm with personal tools and for personal use only and he told me no, obviously. He then said that he could get an SOT and i could move my lathe to his shop and start making them there to sell. I know its not simple and there would have to be test fires and more research done but ive been reading on here a lot recently.

I guess what i am trying to ask is, is the the market already flooded with manufacturers or would it be a good idea to try this out?
There's always room for competition it's the American Way! Proven quality with good pricing will win out every time. That's not to say others will go out of business, some might, most won't, and there will always be those that insist on buying name brand products. If you do end up doing that I would recommend making sure you are listed as a partner on what ever documentation that is required by the powers that be so you can partake fully in the business of making suppressors.

wilson12789
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by wilson12789 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

UtahYoteCaller wrote:There's always room for competition it's the American Way! Proven quality with good pricing will win out every time. That's not to say others will go out of business, some might, most won't, and there will always be those that insist on buying name brand products. If you do end up doing that I would recommend making sure you are listed as a partner on what ever documentation that is required by the powers that be so you can partake fully in the business of making suppressors.

absolutely, i have found out from previous, less serious situations that i always cover myself first. before anything is set in stone i plan on talking with an individual from the atf and make sure that what im doin isnt going to send me to prison lol i cant imagine fed time being any fun. but all laughing aside, being in q.c. i do understand quality and the value that a nice finish or smooth, easy threads make. my main concern is the startup cost and finding a customer "base" i guess. being in illinois i know i cant sell them to individuals so id have to travel to all out of state gun shows. i could however make the fake supressors for illinois customers as far as i know. i do have a continuing list of questions that i want definite answers on before im willing to go ahead with all this.

wacki
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 913
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by wacki » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:16 pm

All I know is that nobody makes a quick attach 300 BLK take apart suppressor.

Nobody makes a large volume integral .22 LR for the AR15. I just paid for custom work to be done. It's monocore and I'd prefer baffle stack to handle the lead.

Nobody makes liberty style cans with baffle stacks instead of monocores.

Nobody makes a .308 can with cast boolit friendly take part baffle stacks. Thompson thirty is a monocore with freeze / lock issues.

There are niches to fill. Can these be profitable? I dunno but I'd by one of each of the above for cast boolit friendliness reasons alone.

UtahYoteCaller
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by UtahYoteCaller » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:27 pm

wilson12789 wrote:
UtahYoteCaller wrote:There's always room for competition it's the American Way! Proven quality with good pricing will win out every time. That's not to say others will go out of business, some might, most won't, and there will always be those that insist on buying name brand products. If you do end up doing that I would recommend making sure you are listed as a partner on what ever documentation that is required by the powers that be so you can partake fully in the business of making suppressors.

absolutely, i have found out from previous, less serious situations that i always cover myself first. before anything is set in stone i plan on talking with an individual from the atf and make sure that what im doin isnt going to send me to prison lol i cant imagine fed time being any fun. but all laughing aside, being in q.c. i do understand quality and the value that a nice finish or smooth, easy threads make. my main concern is the startup cost and finding a customer "base" i guess. being in illinois i know i cant sell them to individuals so id have to travel to all out of state gun shows. i could however make the fake supressors for illinois customers as far as i know. i do have a continuing list of questions that i want definite answers on before im willing to go ahead with all this.
Websites and YouTube video can go along ways. I build websites for a living, hint hint, and willing to trade services for product :D

User avatar
Conqueror
Elite Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: RTP, NC

Re: Realistic demand for new silencer manufacturer

Post by Conqueror » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 pm

You have to find a niche in this market. You won't make many waves selling a 30dB 5.56 can for $700, that sector is flooded with options that are frankly better than you can make in your shop. Look around the market and find demand that the big names aren't capitalizing.

Take-apart QD rifle suppressor (personally I think this is silly but there are a lot of people who want one for some reason).
Good-quality integral barrels for common rimfire guns (savage, CZ 455, Ruger - many of these have barrels that can be swapped at home; if someone was making a good off-the-shelf CZ455 integral barrel I would own it immediately)
A 1.5" diameter rimfire takedown can with stainless components that doesn't weigh a ton but looks right on a .22cal AR. Has to be quieter than an M-baffle can or no one will care.
A line of bolt-action .300BLK SBRs, sold with or without your silencer. Put it in a good folding chassis for a nice compact hunting/truck rifle.
etcetera.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]

Post Reply