How screwed am I ???

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

How screwed am I ???

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Hello all. I am into my 3rd roll of Tums so please help me out. I have an Octane9HD. After about 600 rounds I broke it apart to clean. Long story short, the baffle stack is stuck. After much pounding and PB penetrating oil, I was only able to move it enough to get 1 baffle out. I then noticed that the blast baffle (the "poundee") was beginning to deform. That was the beginning of the Tums. I have cleaned it many times with no problems at all. It is always reassembled with a light coat of gun oil on the baffles and anti-seize on the end cap threads. If sent to SilerencoCo can they fix this? Can one baffle be replaced or is the whole stack shot? Is the stack or the tube the registered part? Any idea what this might cost??? Please give me answers that won't send me straight to the Liquor cabinet!! Thanks very much.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Re: How screwed am I ???

Post by mpallett »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hello all. I am into my 3rd roll of Tums so please help me out. I have an Octane9HD. After about 600 rounds I broke it apart to clean. Long story short, the baffle stack is stuck. After much pounding and PB penetrating oil, I was only able to move it enough to get 1 baffle out. I then noticed that the blast baffle (the "poundee") was beginning to deform. That was the beginning of the Tums. I have cleaned it many times with no problems at all. It is always reassembled with a light coat of gun oil on the baffles and anti-seize on the end cap threads. If sent to SilerencoCo can they fix this? Can one baffle be replaced or is the whole stack shot? Is the stack or the tube the registered part? Any idea what this might cost??? Please give me answers that won't send me straight to the Liquor cabinet!! Thanks very much.
Call them up, get an RMA and send it in.

They will take care of it. I don't know the cost, but they can replace 1 baffle, typically, they would just replace the entire stack.
The tube is the registered part.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Yea give Silco a call monday. Shouldn't be a big deal; they deal with way worse things.

Are there any bulges or deformations anywhere along the length of the tube? Was your front endcap already loose when it was taken apart?
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Have faith in silencerco.

The tube is the only important part.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Most silencer companies can fix something like this without much trouble if the tube is intact. Call them and they will help you out.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Thanks very much everyone. Haven't had an issue like this before so I didn't know what to expect. I think I can back off of the Tums now!!
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Just curios, what kind of ammo where you using? Was it jacketed? Dirty in some way? Any clue what caused the freeze up ?
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

About half and half American Eagle 147gr fmj and Freedom munitions reloads 147gr fmj. I have used a lot of Freedom reloads in the past without any problems. No idea about the freez up. Always has been easy before. If SiCo tells me anything I will pass it along.
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

I had a baffle strike in my sparrow, sent it to Sco and they had it back to me damn near same week. All free and prepaid, very painless.

My only complaint is that the baffle is a mm to long so has some play when I use it now. But it functions so whatever, I can live with it
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Just an update on my situation. Tyler at Silencerco had me send my Octane back to them and had it back to me in 1 week, fully repaired. At no cost!! I have to say that their service was excellent. Not just the service itself, but the tone used as well. There was no reluctance or hesitation, just friendly, helpful service. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and they really earned it. This experience will weigh heavily on any future purchases. So thanks to everyone for their support!!
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Glad to hear it ...

Silencerco does have really good customer service!!!

One of the main reasons I own 6 of their cans.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

They really do have an incredible group of folks working at Silencerco. I can't think of a single thing they could have done better when they helped me out with servicing my Octane9. Truly top notch customer service.
TacRedline

Post by TacRedline »

Glad I found this thread, definitely going with Silencerco now.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Let me point out, that penetrating oil can take up to 2 weeks...so be patient.

my YHM Mite was froze shut...I put KROIL in it and every few days, tried as I might, couldn't unscrew it...then, magically, it moved perhaps 1/2 degree rotation. back forth I went (twist left, twist right), and in 2 min it was opened.

be patient on PB oil or Kroil...

glad you got it back...I have an OCTANE 9 and love it.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Kroil is the nectar of the gods. That stuff has saved my bacon a million times. dont try getting out of your clothes though, doesnt work like that, still have a stain in my apron from lapping a chamber with bore paste and kroil.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!