Brakeout Fouling Issues

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Casper
Silent But Deadly

Brakeout Fouling Issues

Post by Casper »

I'm having a bit of an issue with fouling on my 16" 5.56 AR. The Brakeout seems to be developing a lot of carbon fouling. The reason I'm posting is the fouling has gotten so bad that I was almost unable to remove my 762SDN6 from the muzzle. In fact, it took two of us to manage it.

Does anyone else have any experience with this, or any advice on how to remedy the situation?
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Brakeout Fouling Issues

Post by bitfi3nd »

It's normal, take it off every 200 rounds to minimize problems. I leave the carbon on, but you can scrub/scrape it off if you want.
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

I've got to believe this is out of the norm. I'll snap some picks and upload them later this evening but the buildup has gotten so bad that it takes about 30 pounds of torque to get the can 75% on, I haven't pushed it further than that just because I don't see the point.

As a side note, the setup only has about 2k rounds through it and this particular range trip it got stuck on the mount after less than 100 rounds and that's after I tried to remove the carbon prior to the shoot.

I'm thinking of taking a wire brush on a drill to it because using the hand held steel brush is having only minimal effect on the carbon.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

What kind of ammo are you shooting through it? Something super dirty?

I leave most of the carbon on mine because it snugs up the mount. Maybe you have a super-tight mount that mates exceptionally well with your can & that's causing the problems.
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

bitfi3nd wrote:What kind of ammo are you shooting through it? Something super dirty?

I leave most of the carbon on mine because it snugs up the mount. Maybe you have a super-tight mount that mates exceptionally well with your can & that's causing the problems.
I've been shooting Federal 55 grain white box and PMC x-tac 55 grain. So I doubt it's the ammo, but I could be wrong, anyone else had any issues with these?

Attached are 2 photo's (and wow are they big, wanted to give all the detail) of the mount. You can really see some of the hard carbon on the first. After I brush them for a while the carbon just shines up but I haven't been able to remove it.

Thanks again for all help on this.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Eww. Take it off and throw it in the dip. Not only will any lead disappear, but all the carbon gets really softened up and you can just wipe them off or use a nylon brush.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

rimshaker wrote:Eww. Take it off and throw it in the dip. Not only will any lead disappear, but all the carbon gets really softened up and you can just wipe them off or use a nylon brush.
There's not really any lead there, just carbon and copper. (the blue is copper)
But yeah, just clean it off. Use a carbon solvent & a bronze brush.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

I have had the same issue on AAC muzzle devices.

I have taken to cleaning them off after every shooting session. I spend about 5 minutes with a welder's brush and knock all the s--t off them prior to them going back in the safe.

Thing is, you need to clean the threads inside the silencer as well.

Take a small flathead screwdriver (or dental pick) and run it inside the threads inside the can. You'll be surprised at how much s--t there will be in them.

The fouling on the mounts and the fouling inside the threads both conspire to cause your can to stick on the gun.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

The threads on mine were so bad on my 9" AAC 300BLK upper that the can wouldnt thread off(it would go on just fine, but I could hardly get it off). I took a wire wheel on my dremel and made quick work of it.