Cleaning barrel through suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mfrey

Cleaning barrel through suppressor

Post by mfrey »

I have a Specwar 7.62 that I run under a Seekins MCSR handguard.

Since I can't manipulate the lock ring under the guard like I had hoped that I would be able to, I've been running it unlocked like a screw-on can, checking it frequently to make sure that it is tight. I'm always nervous I'm going to forget and get a strike, though, and would like to engage the lock.

I only run the can on one host and only take it off to clean the barrel. Do you think it would be okay to lock it down and just clean through the Specwar as if it were an integral unit assuming I'm careful not to loose a patch in the can?
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: Cleaning barrel through suppressor

Post by 700PSS »

You don't want to get all that other crap in the can either, do you?
mfrey

Post by mfrey »

Yeah, that is a concern.

I wouldn't want a bunch of bore solvent in there. I'd have to be pretty disciplined and fastidious about how I cleaned and with what.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Use a bore snake, and lock it down.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

Cleaning suggestion for you. Insert a tube into your silencer. Outside diameter smaller than the hole, inside diameter larger than the rifle bore. Keep it in place, somehow, when you clean the barrel and any errant patches or debris won't get into your baffles.
mfrey

Post by mfrey »

I called Silencerco and talked with Tyler for a while. His advice was exactly that: lock it down and use a bore snake.

He said that from Silencerco's perspective, their only concern was leaving a patch in the bore of the can as an obstruction. He said routine cleaning can be performed through the can assuming that care is taken to prevent that scenario.

I also asked if Stellite was prone to chemical erosion from normal bore solvents and he said that was not a specific concern.

He advised that at intervals remove the handguard and can and do a thorough cleaning and lube of the areas of the mount and suppressor that interface with one another as well as the ASR lock assembly to prevent excessive carbon build-up.