556 can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

556 can

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Hello all. I am finally ready to break down and get a 556 can for my FNC. The FNC will have a thread adapter to 1/2-28, and it is full auto. The can will be used mostly semi-auto, but some full auto also. Durability? Cleanability? Mount? Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Re: 556 can

Post by Jt.kline19 »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hello all. I am finally ready to break down and get a 556 can for my FNC. The FNC will have a thread adapter to 1/2-28, and it is full auto. The can will be used mostly semi-auto, but some full auto also. Durability? Cleanability? Mount? Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Saker 7.62
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hello all. I am finally ready to break down and get a 556 can for my FNC. The FNC will have a thread adapter to 1/2-28, and it is full auto. The can will be used mostly semi-auto, but some full auto also. Durability? Cleanability? Mount? Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Very few takeapart 556 cans if you are worried about "cleanability".

Unless you are shooting .22LR out of it as well, you should be fine with a sealed rifle can
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Are they ever dipped or just left alone? Any other can suggestions???
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Are they ever dipped or just left alone? Any other can suggestions???
Since you got full auto, Saker 762 or Specwar 762. Both have a stellite baffle stack; the most durable alloy used in cans right now.

Rifle cans are just generally left alone. Hell you can do FA.... there's your cleaning process right there :mrgreen:
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Given that there is about a $200.00 difference between the Saker and the Specwar, is it worth the difference. I am guessing that the cost difference is due mostly to the mounting system. This can will be almost exclusively on the FNC with maybe 1 or 2 more hosts in the future, so switching between a lot of hosts is not an issue. I am still leaning toward a 7.62 can even though my host is 556 to accommodate future hosts such as 300Blk. Opinions and suggestions please. Thanks.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

If you're absolutely sure about sticking to just a single mounting system, then go for the Specwar. It's longer than the Saker so it's a hair quieter.

Yep the mounting options are the extra cost with the Saker. Even on other silencer brand mounts. Direct thread mounts too... you can even put the Saker on a bolt action.