Shooting 9mm through a .45 suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

RichUrich

Shooting 9mm through a .45 suppressor

Post by RichUrich »

Is there a big difference in sound suppression between using a 9mm suppressor (Osprey, Octane, TiRant) on a 9mm pistol (P9S, SIG) and using a .45 suppressor on a 9mm pistol?

Ammo used: Fiocci 147gr sub sonic
Rich Urich
Aurora Tactical
www.auroratactical.com
cpatterson86
Silent Operator

Re: Shooting 9mm through a .45 suppressor

Post by cpatterson86 »

RichUrich wrote:Is there a big difference in sound suppression between using a 9mm suppressor (Osprey, Octane, TiRant) on a 9mm pistol (P9S, SIG) and using a .45 suppressor on a 9mm pistol?

Ammo used: Fiocci 147gr sub sonic
I have first hand experience with all of the ones you mentioned and the 45 can on a 9mm host sounds just as good as a dedicated 9mm can to my ear.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Generally not a big difference. At least not worth giving up the capability of being able to shoot 40 and 45 suppressed also.

It's not just a single factor though. Any sound differences depend on the host, the can, the ammo, and how good your hearing actually is.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Have done it with the Octanes with 9mm and 300 BLK pistols and SBRs. The sound level seems to me to be very close but the tone is a bit different. The 45 can seems deeper in tone.

If monies did not allow otherwise I'd go with the 45 can for its greater flexibility even if I didn't own a 45 yet.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

The only drawback I see is weight. I like the lightest suppressor I can get hanging off the end of my pistol. Otherwise it's like a 5.56 through a 7.62 can, more versitility for your dollar. My perference is still for a 9mm on a 9mm...
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Not pistol cans like you were asking about, but I was running the VERS-9S and CAC-45 on a pair of Uzis recently. Both sounded excellent.

If anything, I thought the longer .45 can sounded ever so slightly better than the shorter 9mm can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPAkUbUcW8
TMHonfire

Post by TMHonfire »

I have to say shooting a 9mm with my SWR Octane 45 can seems just as quite, when I shoot it wet it is so much more quite.

http://youtu.be/0fb8CLXll9I
"In LULZ We Trust"