Trouble removing piston in AAC TiRANT 45

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

lifesizepotato

Trouble removing piston in AAC TiRANT 45

Post by lifesizepotato »

I'm having trouble removing the ASAP/piston from the back of my early AAC TiRANT 45 (2-digit serial) silencer. In videos and the instructions, it makes it seem like you just twist it off, but mine won't budge. I've never had it off before, and it's had a few thousands rounds through it, so it may be seized or something.

Any suggestions on what I could do? Boil it? Bake it? Freeze it? :?:
cpatterson86
Silent Operator

Re: Trouble removing piston in AAC TiRANT 45

Post by cpatterson86 »

lifesizepotato wrote:I'm having trouble removing the ASAP/piston from the back of my early AAC TiRANT 45 (2-digit serial) silencer. In videos and the instructions, it makes it seem like you just twist it off, but mine won't budge. I've never had it off before, and it's had a few thousands rounds through it, so it may be seized or something.

Any suggestions on what I could do? Boil it? Bake it? Freeze it? :?:
Soak it in Kroil overnight and then put the rear cap in a padded vice and turn the tube counterclockwise. You may need a strap wrench depending on how much build up you have in the interface. I wouldn't go more than 5-600 rounds in the future without at least busting it loose.
lifesizepotato

Post by lifesizepotato »

Thanks, I will try that. I will be sure to loosen it every 500 rounds or so in the future.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Sounds like the piston housing might be carbon locked. Next time apply some grease or anti-seize on the tube threads. You never swap out with other pistons?