anyone know if Alan Paulson is still planning on vol 3?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BearTHIS
Silent Operator

anyone know if Alan Paulson is still planning on vol 3?

Post by BearTHIS »

I'm hoping someone here knows him or knows if he's working on vol 3. I'm sure lots of us are eagerly awaiting it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: anyone know if Alan Paulson is still planning on vol 3?

Post by Bendersquint »

BearTHIS wrote:I'm hoping someone here knows him or knows if he's working on vol 3. I'm sure lots of us are eagerly awaiting it.
Last I heard, no.

But I can ask.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

I have not talked to him in a while and he wanted too, but it didn't seem like it was really going to happen
NP
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Last time I inquired was over two years ago and like others have said he wanted to but I think the reality is that anything he pens today will be obsolete by the time it hits store shelves because of the internet
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I suppose that's true. Reading volume 1, I found that most of the information there was stuff I'd run across online already. Still I'll be buying volume 2 at some point, just to get his thoughts more than anything. He's a thorough sort of fellow, really digs in and discusses the successes and failures of various designs. It's like an extended conversation with someone who has real experience. Hard to replace that with Google and a few forums, though these resources certainly are a wonder. It must be hard for so many sorts of writers and publishers these days, trying to find how to fit in with the Internet age. For me, a book has a place which is quite different from the web, being more of a satisfying, entertaining experience, where the web is more aligned to quick answers and the odd meaty bit of information. With exceptions of course.

I'd suggest Paulson might be better off publishing as an ebook, distributing in the various formats for whatever folks like to read in. I like ePub format myself, for text with the odd picture, but suppose PDF suits his form of presentation better. Distributing an ebook has its difficulties and can't compete with paper on pricing, but then again an ebook can be self-published and put most of the money from the reduced per-copy price into the writer's pocket instead of the publisher's. And legitimate purchasers can sign up for revisions direct from the publisher as they come available. There will, of course, be piracy, there always is, and it's a long argument but basically every serious study has found its role to be neutral or even slightly positive - google Cory Doctorow for a shining example. He distributes 100% of his writing for free in every possible format, but people still buy his hard copy books, because they try the ebook, like it, then want a paper copy on a shelf. Bain publishing does similar work.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

It would be very disappointing that he did not deliver what he promised in volumes one & two I bought with the expectation of a complete series of three.
Its like having a bridge that stops just short of the bank.You get to the end to find a promissory note instead of a complete job.
I hope Alan finds the time as he has more material now then when he started.It can't take more than a few Alaskan nights.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

Who is Alan P?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

paper9 wrote:Who is Alan P?
Al Paulson, one of the leading experts in silencer testing, been doing it longer than some of the other testers have been alive.
tcba_joe
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcba_joe »

I'd love to see a Vol 3. I think breaking down the progression of modern silencers would be invaluable regardless of how obsolete it may become due to the internet. The GWOT has brought a lot to the history of military silencers and I'd personally love to see it cataloged.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

tcba_joe wrote:I'd love to see a Vol 3. I think breaking down the progression of modern silencers would be invaluable regardless of how obsolete it may become due to the internet. The GWOT has brought a lot to the history of military silencers and I'd personally love to see it cataloged.
Agreed, both the civilian and military silencer landscapes have chained so much in the past 10 years. There's a lot of ground to cover.
I hope to see Al release a new volume, but I'm not holding my breath.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy