New to suppressors - picked up my first can.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pod

New to suppressors - picked up my first can.

Post by pod »

Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread appropriate for introductions, so I figured I would just do one of my own.

After much research, I picked up my first can, a Specwar 7.62, this past Friday. I selected it so I can move it between hosts with relative ease while I save and wait for dedicated cans for each.

Fortunately I found a dealer here in sunny South Florida that had the can in stock, has an attached range, and allows visitation. So, while I wait for my paperwork to come back, I at least get visitation. Also, I skipped waiting for a Form 3 between FFLs on top of the Form 4 wait time.

Main question for my can is:

- How and how often should I clean it? To me, it's an investment and I wish to keep it fully functional.

And yes, whomever said NFA items were addicting is right. Immediately after selecting and paying for my can, I thought about SBRs and how cool my can would be on an SBR. And with multiple rifles I would want dedicated cans for each. And for my pistols...and now that the Salvo exists...

Argh!

8)
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: New to suppressors - picked up my first can.

Post by Conqueror »

The manual will discuss cleaning. In general, other Han the mounting region, center fire rifle silencers do not require much cleaning.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
pod

Post by pod »

Thanks for the advice...

I figured as much. My dealer recommended every 500 rounds it should be cleaned. I'm not firing full-auto so it'll take 1 or 2 trips to get to that point.
HK91
Silent Operator

Post by HK91 »

Make sure you put some kind of oil on the knurled lock ring to prevent it from rusting. I have never had a problem with my guns rusting, but the knurled lock ring on the SPECWAR 762 seems to want to pick up some minor surface rust if I don't oil it after each use.

After I got my SPECWAR 762, I had to do a Form 1 for an SBR, too addicting. :mrgreen:

HK91
pod

Post by pod »

Rust can be a concern down here in sunny South Florida, especially with the climate. Humidity and salt air. I keep my gear very oiled as a habit. Sometimes too much, but I'd rather have it "wet" than risk a rust outbreak.