Form 4: which direction?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

flyingbullseye

Form 4: which direction?

Post by flyingbullseye »

So now that I've got my trust paperwork put together and need to head over to my dealer all while waffling which suppressor to purchase I still have to decide which way with the form 4's I should go. I fully realize that currently the eforms are not up and running yet and going the paper route is ballpark 8 months wait time but I want to get some feedback what would be the best course of action.

Should I wait until the efile comes back on line, taking the gamble that it could be before the end of the year (haven't heard anything but wishful thinking) or just put in the paperwork and wait until it get approved sometime next April/May?

So any advice? Should I just submit the paperwork or take the gamble and wait until the efile system is up and running?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 4: which direction?

Post by rimshaker »

Gambling with time... is just a waste of time. Go with what's available at the moment, which is paper forms. The paper process is actually getting a tiny bit faster if you can believe it. For my last paper submission in June, it only took 2 weeks between check cashed to pending status. Whereas it used to take 6-8 weeks to get to pending early this year.
RJ1670

Post by RJ1670 »

Eforms won't even be online until at least Q1 next year. More than likely it will be Q2. File now.
flyingbullseye

Post by flyingbullseye »

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I needed to hear.
pod

Post by pod »

I just purchased my first can, a Specwar 7.62, and am doing via a paper Form 4. Thankfully, the wait won't be as harsh because I picked a dealer/range that's in the region and they had it in stock.

While getting sorted, I asked the same questions. By any estimate, Form 4 won't be back with us until 2015. Also, and yes, I know it's kind of mass-hysteria sounding, but the ATF's 41P decision will happen around then too. So I didn't want to take any chances with that.

My dealer's unofficial estimate is 6-9 months. A friend who got his stamp back last week was only waiting just over 6 months.

Bear in mind the ATF is hiring more examiners as we speak. It's good business for them to do so since each form processed is $200 in their pocket.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

pod wrote:Bear in mind the ATF is hiring more examiners as we speak. It's good business for them to do so since each form processed is $200 in their pocket.
If it were a business this would be the case, but govt don't care.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Money all goes to slush fund. ATF could care less about the money .