Thread protector keeps working loose

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Thread protector keeps working loose

Post by hardcase »

When shooting without the can on my P229 Sig. I tightened it a bit with channel locks but haven't really cranked down on it, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-15 lbs or so. After 6-8 shots, I have to remember to tighten it again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to get hot and set up past getting it off.

What do other use?
KingTiger
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Post by KingTiger »

Teflon tape.
Controlled Cacophony
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The only TP's that won't back off are some metric ones with an internal o-ring (for example AAC M16x1 or Tornado Tech M13.5x1).

Otherwise TP's will always work their way loose. I found it easier to just not shoot with them attached. The muzzle blast won't damage the threads. Just be mindful of the exposed threads when moving things around.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Go to Autozone and get a copper washer (Thin and malleable) thet allow you to tighten them so they crush the copper (By hand) and hold the TP in place. used it on my last deployment for a pistol that kept doing the same thing. (Shot mainly Dogs and lights with it so I didnt need to carry attached)
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
TicTactical

Post by TicTactical »

I say just shoot without it. I generally take mine off when I start shooting at the range and put it on when I leave. Plus that makes it faster to throw your can on if you decide to have some "quiet time".
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

depending upon the threads you may be able to get an O ring between the shoulder and the start of the threads - if not then plumber's teflon tape works well.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

hardcase wrote:When shooting without the can on my P229 Sig. I tightened it a bit with channel locks but haven't really cranked down on it, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-15 lbs or so. After 6-8 shots, I have to remember to tighten it again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to get hot and set up past getting it off.

What do other use?

Please give more detail on your actual thread protector, make, material,
how loose when you put on, etc.

For example the one's made out of Delrin
that Ray Brandes supplied with his Bully Barrels never come loose during shooting. The
material allows one to make a 75% thread with no damage to barrel.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

I use a little Gun-Tite occasionally (not every time) on the threads. I've found that its residue doesn't interfere with installation or removal of the suppressors or thread protectors, but offers just enough resistance that the thread protector doesn't loosen.

In other words it leaves just enough goo behind to keep the thread protector from spinning off. At least in my experience.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

O2HeN2 wrote:I use a little Gun-Tite occasionally (not every time) on the threads. I've found that its residue doesn't interfere with installation or removal of the suppressors or thread protectors, but offers just enough resistance that the thread protector doesn't loosen.

In other words it leaves just enough goo behind to keep the thread protector from spinning off. At least in my experience.

O2
I think I'll look online for Gun-Tite and see if I can combine it with another supply order. I've been using teflon tape since someone here mentioned it and I had it on hand. The teflon tape works fairly well. I'm careful not to get any close to the bore. I even used it with my cans. The threads shred teflon tape pretty good but it brushes of with a gun cleaning brush.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Historian wrote:
hardcase wrote:When shooting without the can on my P229 Sig. I tightened it a bit with channel locks but haven't really cranked down on it, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-15 lbs or so. After 6-8 shots, I have to remember to tighten it again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to get hot and set up past getting it off.

What do other use?

Please give more detail on your actual thread protector, make, material,
how loose when you put on, etc.

For example the one's made out of Delrin
that Ray Brandes supplied with his Bully Barrels never come loose during shooting. The
material allows one to make a 75% thread with no damage to barrel.
All my pistol barrels are 1/2x28, even the .40 S&W. I've gotten the thread protectors mixed up, since there was an extra with each barrel. I had the loosening problem with all of them, also with the cans after about 8-10 rounds when they warm up.
Dieseljay

Post by Dieseljay »

Does your barrel have a shoulder? If yes just buy a pack of wave washers. Its what my ruger 22/45 came with to hold on the TP. Since it worked amazingly I bought some larger ones on amazon and have been amazed at how well they work on my 308 and ar. A wave washer holds the TP under tension so it can't work its way back off. It doesn't have the short comings of Teflon tape or lock tight.
BikerBrian

Post by BikerBrian »

This thread protector has worked best for me.
http://www.store.silencerco.com/collect ... engagement
It's for Silencerco's 22 o-ring engagement threading, but works great on my standard 1/2*28 threads. The o-ring bites into the threads a little when you twist it on and it has never come loose. It doesn't thread all the way on because of the o-ring, but it is close enough.
It cost more than Teflon tape or some thread goo, but their is nothing to clean up after using it. And, to me, is the best solution.