Excessive Blowback From TiRant With G19 Host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Cthulhu

Excessive Blowback From TiRant With G19 Host

Post by Cthulhu »

Hi everyone. First post here. I've got the setup above and have been getting blowback from the pistol that really makes it impossible to shoot. I get powder burns from flying particulate and it even blows up under my eye pro. Is there a way to tame this down? I was thinking a stiffer spring, switching to grease lube vs. oil, and/or subsonic loads might help. The TiRant is so cool and I really want to be able to use it. I searched but maybe I missed it.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Re: Excessive Blowback From TiRant With G19 Host

Post by samson7x »

Cthulhu wrote:Hi everyone. First post here. I've got the setup above and have been getting blowback from the pistol that really makes it impossible to shoot. I get powder burns from flying particulate and it even blows up under my eye pro. Is there a way to tame this down? I was thinking a stiffer spring, switching to grease lube vs. oil, and/or subsonic loads might help. The TiRant is so cool and I really want to be able to use it. I searched but maybe I missed it.

You mention switching to subsonic ammo (which is what most people use with 9mm suppressors), so what ammo are you using?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

samson7x wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Hi everyone. First post here. I've got the setup above and have been getting blowback from the pistol that really makes it impossible to shoot. I get powder burns from flying particulate and it even blows up under my eye pro. Is there a way to tame this down? I was thinking a stiffer spring, switching to grease lube vs. oil, and/or subsonic loads might help. The TiRant is so cool and I really want to be able to use it. I searched but maybe I missed it.

You mention switching to subsonic ammo (which is what most people use with 9mm suppressors), so what ammo are you using?
My hand loaded 119gr rounds. I can load subsonic I guess as long as I can find load data. Any of the other ideas worth considering?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Tirant 9 or 45? Is your G19 totally bone stock? Which threaded barrel?

Try out new factory ammo first before fiddling around with hand loads and reloads. Subsonic 9mm are usually the 147 and 158gr stuff.

I use a Tirant 45 with my G19 and blowback isn't an issue. Some blowback will always exist, compared to shooting without a can, but definitely not as bad as you're describing.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Try factory 147gr loads, and also try shooting it dry.

if you want to shoot wet, follow the instructions and only add a tiny amount of water (one small water bottle capful) and shake it around. That will cut down on particulate.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I've found that powder makes all the difference in the amount of blowback and in particular the amount of particulate you get. To be honest, I can't imagine spending money on a suppressor and barrel and then not shoot subsonic ammo. You're only having half the fun...
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

Cthulhu wrote: My hand loaded 119gr rounds. I can load subsonic I guess as long as I can find load data. Any of the other ideas worth considering?
Which powder are you running? Switching to a faster burning powder may help. If it is Accurate #2, you may need to increase the load to make it burn more completely.
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

Accurate No 7 gives me big blow back on 3 suppressed platforms, 147 gr.
VV N320 does not, 147 gr.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I use good old w231 and 147g MG total metal jacket.

You could have issues with plated bullets also but start with powder and bullet weight.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

paper9 wrote:Accurate No 7 gives me big blow back on 3 suppressed platforms, 147 gr.
That makes sense, N320 is a pretty fast powder while #7 is slow.

The worst blowback I ever got was when I tried using Hodgdon Longshot in 9mm. That stuff is even slower than #7.
hkbeltfed

Post by hkbeltfed »

I'm using a g19 with a Tirant 9s and stiffer g23 recoil spring assembly. Functions fine. The only video I have is indoors because I'm waiting for approval...

http://youtu.be/gnh_2wrrSyU
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

paper9 wrote:Accurate No 7 gives me big blow back on 3 suppressed platforms, 147 gr.
Thats what I was getting at. I suspected he was using an Accurate powder. I'm using VVN340 with a precision delta 147 gr bullet. no blowback to speak of.
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

I have a TiRant .45 and on my SIG P239 with my .40 barrel, I have had blow back with cheaper ammo. Not always, but it happens.
I switch brands and no more blow back.
I have not had that happen with my SIG P220 (.45) or P229 (9mm).

Lateck,
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Thanks everyone for the help. I've only shot the can dry and <drum roll> I'm loading with Accurate 7. Sounds like a faster burning powder with 147gr bullets is required. Anything wrong with using something heavier than 147s (like 158s)?
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

Take a look in the Handloading section.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

Cthulhu wrote:Thanks everyone for the help. I've only shot the can dry and <drum roll> I'm loading with Accurate 7. Sounds like a faster burning powder with 147gr bullets is required. Anything wrong with using something heavier than 147s (like 158s)?
When I first started loading 147gr 9mm I played with AA#7 and lead 147gr TC bullets. The blowback was awful. I switched to W231 and the problems mostly went away (still somewhat dependent on bullet and host but the powder change corrected like 75% of the blowback).
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Cthulhu wrote:Thanks everyone for the help. I've only shot the can dry and <drum roll> I'm loading with Accurate 7. Sounds like a faster burning powder with 147gr bullets is required. Anything wrong with using something heavier than 147s (like 158s)?
Nothing wrong with 158's but 147's will get you there and they are easier to find.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a stock G19.  I've not had any issues with a Cobra M2 can.

Plated 124 grain RN bullets.  Use HP-38 powder, 4.2 GN, 1.125 OAL, 0.376 crimp, 1,050+- fps. Depending on weather, I did notice a few went supersonic.

I did notice some blowback debris with a different powder on my .40 but don't remember which powder it was. I used HP-38 with my last .40 loads without any issues.

I would suspect, as has been mentioned, your issues has something to do with burn rate.

My usual routine with new new loads is a couple mags to make sure they cycle, then paper to make sure they don't keyhole, then on to the can.