3" 1911 threaded barrel?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

3" 1911 threaded barrel?

Post by dan9591 »

Does anyone make a 3" threaded 1911 barrel? Specifically for a Colt New Agent and .578x28 threads?
batman4706
Silent Operator

Re: 3" 1911 threaded barrel?

Post by batman4706 »

You might be able to get Barsto to make a custom one, but it won't be cheap.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

batman4706 wrote:You might be able to get Barsto to make a custom one, but it won't be cheap.
Do you see the problem with your post?

When you say "won't be cheap", I start thinking "how not-cheap? Almost the cost of a new 1911 not-cheap?"

Then I try to rationalize the cost difference (all without even calling Barsto for a quote) and before I know it, I'm shopping for a new 1911 because, in my mind at least, it will be "cheaper" than a new barrel.

I rationalize that I will sell the 3" 1911 after I buy a new one. Then, when it's time to sell the 3"er, I become nostalgic. I say to myself, "Self, you may one day want a 3" barrel 1911". So I decide to keep it. Yet another gun I will likely never use, but don't want to sell.

I then realize that with the extra gun(s) I can't bring myself to sell, my safe is getting crowded. So I need a new safe. I like my old one and don't want to replace it, so I shop for a second one. However, I cant fit the new one next to the old one. So I decide to build out the closet so it will fit. I can't afford to pay someone to do it (having spent all my money on the new 1911), so I try to do it myself. Of course I fail miserably and the ceiling crashes down.

Since I stopped paying our home owners insurance so that I could afford a new safe for the new 1911, we are not covered. After a few weeks, our home is unsafe to live in and we are forced to move into a hotel. After I run out of money we are forced out and we now live under a bridge. My kids are pissed and my wife wants to kill me. That's when I turn to her and say "But it's still cheaper than a custom barrel!". Her angry face is the last thing I see for a few days, because my eyes are swollen shut from the face pummeling she administers.

So, is that the intent of your reply? To see my beaten and bloody and my family living under a bridge? Thanks, buddy... Really appreciate it...

Anyways, before I (inevitably?) head down that path, I would like to try to find a reasonably priced threaded barrel...
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

A followup question might be, what can do you intend to use? 3" 1911s are finicky even without a suppressor.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Conqueror wrote:A followup question might be, what can do you intend to use? 3" 1911s are finicky even without a suppressor.
I wish I could give you a really cool "operator" type scenario I would use this for, but really there is no intended use besides range time. My EDC carry is a Colt new agent. I put over 5,000 rounds through it so far and after the first 500 or so rounds it has performed perfectly, but I understand what you are saying... I just think it would be a neat package coupled with the Ti-Rant 45S I have laying around...

I did take a look at Barsto barrels and I do see they offer a barrel for it, but at $315 plus $150 for fitting, its a pretty expensive option... If that's the price point I am looking at I would honestly just buy a commander sized 1911 with a factory threaded barrel for a few bucks more...
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

Nice parable, isn't there a historic progression that is summarized, "....for the want of a nail the battle was lost"?
However, 3 inch with can comes out to a nice overall length...
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

― Benjamin Franklin
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
deadeye99

Post by deadeye99 »

I started looking for a barrel for my colt commander and ended up with an FNX 45 Tactical with a RMR and streamlight. So I do understand the conundrum.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

If I was serious about it I'd see if Tornado Technologies could inside thread the barrel and add an extension.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K