Ti-Rant 9S on 300 Blackout Subsonic?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

713HoustonTX

Ti-Rant 9S on 300 Blackout Subsonic?

Post by 713HoustonTX »

I tried searching for information regarding if the Ti-Rant 9s is able to run 300 Blackout subsonic rounds. I was unable to find much information.

Does anyone know if this is okay or have any experience with running 300BO Subsonic through the Ti-Rant 9S?

Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Ti-Rant 9S on 300 Blackout Subsonic?

Post by Bendersquint »

713HoustonTX wrote:I tried searching for information regarding if the Ti-Rant 9s is able to run 300 Blackout subsonic rounds. I was unable to find much information.

Does anyone know if this is okay or have any experience with running 300BO Subsonic through the Ti-Rant 9S?

Thanks.

Have you called the manufacturer and asked them if its ok?
713HoustonTX

Post by 713HoustonTX »

Bendersquint wrote:
713HoustonTX wrote:I tried searching for information regarding if the Ti-Rant 9s is able to run 300 Blackout subsonic rounds. I was unable to find much information.

Thanks.

Have you called the manufacturer and asked them if its ok?
I have called Silencer shop, and I was told that it was not recommended. I'll try to call AAC again and report back.
Gik-Tal

Post by Gik-Tal »

When I checked with AAC on a Tirant-45 they said it was good to go with Subsonic 300 Blackout. However be very careful if you run factory Sub loads thru one. I bought a box of Hornady 208 Amax subsonic a few weeks ago and ran three thru the chronograph, they ran at about 1090 fps which is subsonic and good. But on Friday I purchased a second box of the same ammo, and checked them and these were going 1400 fps, which would be supersonic and could damage a pistol rated suppressor. If you are sure your loads are running subsonic then it should be good to go.
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

We do not recommend it, however it will be fine as long as A: it is subs only, make sure they are not going supersonic as stated above, B: the piston is threaded directly to the barrel. Thread adapters void the warranty.
Nick
Customer service at Advanced Armament Corporation
[email protected]
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

NickAAC wrote:We do not recommend it, however it will be fine as long as A: it is subs only, make sure they are not going supersonic as stated above, B: the piston is threaded directly to the barrel. Thread adapters void the warranty.
How is part B possible given that AAC doesn't make a 5/8x24 piston?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Because the clearances are so tight. 9mm is close to 30 cal, but any missaligment will be disasterous.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
713HoustonTX

Post by 713HoustonTX »

Gik-Tal wrote:When I checked with AAC on a Tirant-45 they said it was good to go with Subsonic 300 Blackout. However be very careful if you run factory Sub loads thru one. I bought a box of Hornady 208 Amax subsonic a few weeks ago and ran three thru the chronograph, they ran at about 1090 fps which is subsonic and good. But on Friday I purchased a second box of the same ammo, and checked them and these were going 1400 fps, which would be supersonic and could damage a pistol rated suppressor. If you are sure your loads are running subsonic then it should be good to go.
Thank you for this information.
713HoustonTX

Post by 713HoustonTX »

NickAAC wrote:We do not recommend it, however it will be fine as long as A: it is subs only, make sure they are not going supersonic as stated above, B: the piston is threaded directly to the barrel. Thread adapters void the warranty.
Nick,
As rim has asked, how is this possible, as AAC does not make the appropriate piston for direct threading?
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

It will void the warranty if you use it on a barrel threaded 5/8-24, that is what I was saying. This is not what you want to hear, and I wish we made a piston in 5/8-24, but we don't. An aftermarket company does, and it will work I suppose, but we cannot warranty their product.

I would advise getting a .30 caliber rifle silencer for 300BLK.
Nick
[email protected]
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Gik-Tal wrote:When I checked with AAC on a Tirant-45 they said it was good to go with Subsonic 300 Blackout. However be very careful if you run factory Sub loads thru one. I bought a box of Hornady 208 Amax subsonic a few weeks ago and ran three thru the chronograph, they ran at about 1090 fps which is subsonic and good. But on Friday I purchased a second box of the same ammo, and checked them and these were going 1400 fps, which would be supersonic and could damage a pistol rated suppressor. If you are sure your loads are running subsonic then it should be good to go.
I don't think it's the speed of the bullet that matters so much, but the pressure...
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

rimshaker wrote:
you really need a fixed barrel spacer... maybe the 45 piston in 5/8x24 will work? Dunno...aac?
713HoustonTX

Post by 713HoustonTX »

LawBob wrote:
rimshaker wrote:
you really need a fixed barrel spacer... maybe the 45 piston in 5/8x24 will work? Dunno...aac?
I am interested to know if this will work for the 9s as well.

I will have the Ti-Rant 45 as well, so that will be able to direct thread on, but curious to know about the 9S.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

713HoustonTX wrote:
LawBob wrote: you really need a fixed barrel spacer... maybe the 45 piston in 5/8x24 will work? Dunno...aac?
I am interested to know if this will work for the 9s as well.

I will have the Ti-Rant 45 as well, so that will be able to direct thread on, but curious to know about the 9S.

The t45 and t9 use different pistons that are not interchangeable.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

As Jason stated, the piston between the 9 and 45 tirants are not interchangeable, and we do not make a 5/8-24 piston for either can.

Also, you would indeed need a fixed barrel spacer.

The pressure is the main issue here, and if the bullets are going supersonic, that means the pressure has increased. You should be fine.

Again, these cans were not designed for 300BLK.
Nick
[email protected]
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

NickAAC wrote:As Jason stated, the piston between the 9 and 45 tirants are not interchangeable, and we do not make a 5/8-24 piston for either can.

Also, you would indeed need a fixed barrel spacer.

The pressure is the main issue here, and if the bullets are going supersonic, that means the pressure has increased. You should be fine.

Again, these cans were not designed for 300BLK.
That's weird bc I have one
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

LawBob wrote: That's weird bc I have one
You have a Tirant 5/8x24 piston? The only aftermarket source I know of is Quiet Riot Firearms. And only for the Tirant 45. I believe SRI actually made them... may or may not be true.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Nick, Not too far off topic....I see a fixed barrel spacer for the TiRant 45 on the website but none for the Ti 9. Out of stock or isn't one made? I have plans for a 9mm AR in the future plus some limited use on a 22 is possible.
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

Quiet Riot does make a 5/8-24 tirant 45 piston. They are actually in the town I grew up in. Been meaning to go check them out. This is the only 5/8-24 pistons that I know of. But honestly, I've learned to never say never on questions of "did you ever make this" because most of the time the answer is yes. But we do not currently produce them.

As far as the Tirant 9 fixed barrel spacer, they are just temporarily out of stock, we are working on getting them back in stock as fast as we can. I realize this is confusing because they are not even on the website, but once they are in stock they will be there.
Nick
[email protected]
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Thanks Nick, I picked up another TiRant 9 and need to spend the $200 on something... :wink: