Another suppressor, or use one of my suppressed ARs for HD?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

RJT
Silent But Deadly

Another suppressor, or use one of my suppressed ARs for HD?

Post by RJT »

What would you do? I've bought enough suppressors to have all but a couple of unsuppressed rifles, but I've been thinking about home defense lately. Should I buy a pistol suppressor, and another host, or pull one of my AR15s from the safe every night? Money is a non issue, and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another safe, but I'm just not a pistol shooter. Other than making sure everything ran properly, I don't see myself using it, unless the unthinkable happened. Again, what would you do?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Another suppressor, or use one of my suppressed ARs for

Post by RPM509 »

My HD setup is my EDC 1911, light and an SBR with suppressor loaded with 220 gr. 300 Blackout.

ETA: Guess I didn't actually answer your question. Use what you got, going to be swapping it
in and out of the safe wether you buy another pair or not anyways right? Or, use this as an excuse to get some more...
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Personally, I'd say SBR an AR, suppress it, and use that. I'd look long and hard at barrier penetration by caliber and assess your specific needs depending on layout, others in the house, vulnerability of neighbors, etc.

If you're not comfortable with pistols, stick with what you know. There is a reason that pistols are considered 'defensive' and 'secondary' weapons; a carbine is much better suited to defending yourself, and since you're in your home, you don't have to worry about concealing it!

Handguns are OK and FAR better than nothing, but I like the idea that you use your handgun to fight to your rifle...then use the rifle to end the fight!

Byrdman
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

MCKNBRD wrote:Personally, I'd say SBR an AR, suppress it, and use that. I'd look long and hard at barrier penetration by caliber and assess your specific needs depending on layout, others in the house, vulnerability of neighbors, etc.

If you're not comfortable with pistols, stick with what you know. There is a reason that pistols are considered 'defensive' and 'secondary' weapons; a carbine is much better suited to defending yourself, and since you're in your home, you don't have to worry about concealing it!

Handguns are OK and FAR better than nothing, but I like the idea that you use your handgun to fight to your rifle...then use the rifle to end the fight!

Byrdman
+1
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Thanks guys, SBR is sounding like the route I'm going to take. When I say I'm not a pistol shooter, it's not that I'm uncomfortable with them, I just don't "fun" shoot them like I do rifles. Maybe a suppressor would change that. Hmmmm, maybe I'll just do both.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.