Buying first suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Breadfan43

Buying first suppressor

Post by Breadfan43 »

I've made the choice that when I turn 21 I am going to buy a suppressor and put it on my colt 6920. I want to make the right choice on buying a suppressor because obviously it's going to be a very expensive purchase. The thing I am most worried about, or the thing I don't want to happen when I get my suppressor, is I don't want the suppressor to come loose. Is their a certain flash hider, mount, or adapter that will keep the suppressor on the rifle while shooting and make sure it doesn't come loose at all? I was looking at the gemteck halo and people say it comes loose. There isn't one type of suppressor I am looking at yet (company wise). I would just like to know what set up would stay on the rifle the best. Any help is much appreciated!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Buying first suppressor

Post by Artful »

Are you wanting a thread on can or Quick Detach?
Are you wanting more than a 223 can? or is this can dedicated to just this rifle?

I have a dedicated thread on 223 can on one rifle that is locked on with NORD-LOCK washers,
Now this works fine on my rifle and didn't upset alignment but I gave some to someone else
and they thought it caused a baffle strike.

My advise to someone not wanting to purchase a lot of cans is get
1.) a GOOD cleanable .45 caliber pistol can that has Nielson Device/LID/Inertial Decoupler and use on .45 caliber pistols and smaller sub caliber. (best right now appears to be Silencerco's/SWR Octane 45 suppressor or AAC's Ti-Rant). You can use this for 22LR, 9mm, and 45 ACP and even 300 Blackout with subsonic ammo.

2.) A GOOD light weight 30 caliber suppressor, you can use Thread adaptors to shoot on smaller caliber weapons like 6.8 or 223.

As far as Quick detach I don't have those, on any of my thread on suppressors, that I don't want to unthread themselves but I WANT to be able to hand unthread, I use either Teflon Tape or high temp O ring made of either Silicone or Viton
Last edited by Artful on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

SilencerCo Harvester if you're not into mag dumps, SilencerCo Specwar if you are. The Harvester is thread mount, the Specwar has a rock solid QD mount.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Breadfan43

Post by Breadfan43 »

Well I guess it depends whatever would be the most solid option. I want whatever won't come loose. This can is only going to go on my 6920. I obviously want to take it off and clean it, I just don't want to come loose while shooting.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

You should probably visit an NFA dealer and see just how sturdy they are, hopefully they will let you test drive a few.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Liberty Suppress

Post by Liberty Suppress »

http://youtu.be/9ay8vpdAysQ

This is an outstanding option that should be considered. It is a great first time can that gives you alot of versatility.

Tim @ Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Harvester is not a good choice for an AR-15 IMO.

If you are worried about it coming off, don't. Any modern QD silencer from AAC, SilencerCo, Surefire, Liberty, KAC, and many other brands will not unscrew while shooting. I don't include the Halo because that is not a modern silencer. The Gemtech G5 will not unscrew, but I would not buy a G5 for other reasons.

IMO the most solid mount on the market right now belongs to Surefire. However, their cans are comparatively loud and expensive, so you will have to decide just how much you want to prioritize secure mounting over other considerations.

ETA: I'm also not a huge fan of the recent trend of trying to get a "do-all" silencer like a mini .30cal can or shooting subcalibers through a .45 silencer. They just aren't very good in most cases. Either it's too big for the subcaliber and is needlessly heavy and unwieldy on those guns, or it's too small for the larger calibers you can put through it and doesn't sound good. My advice, if your primary host is going to be a 6920, is get the best 5.56 can you can afford, and if you end up wanting to suppress some other caliber, just save up for the second silencer you will inevitably be buying.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]