Kestrel 308

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Kestrel 308

Post by pistolpeta »

Hey guys, new to the site thought id say hello before i blast away…
so Hello!

Welp, the suppressor in question is a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 308.

let me start with this.

About a year ago i got to experience a 300 blackout fitted with a gem tech 9mm can, shooting subsonic hand loads.
Sounded almost as quiet as a sub sonic 22lr.
I know that sounds ridiculous, but i have both and it really does sound so similar.

So i thought id invest in a .308 can.

Planning on shooting cast subs, i liked the idea of a can that was user maintainable.
Thus the purchase of the Kestrel 308.

In my first test i was shooting the cast lee 230gr-309's, sub sonic.
It wasn't quiet at all.

Still isn't.

It still seems to have the supersonic crack even though i know without a doubt that the projectile is traveling subsonic as I'm shooting it through a chronograph reading 955-1050fps.

This can came in a cardboard box with a sticker telling you that it was a kestrel 308 and thats it…
NO manual
NO instructions
NO warranty information.
Just a box.

After firing I've taken it apart and cleaned it, and reassembled the baffles in 180 degree rotations.
Knowing my Spectre II likes the baffles parallel with respect to the mouse holes, I'm trying that next.
Im also going to try some 190gr Sierra match kings subsonically and see if that changes anything.

And Im going to record everything as there aint SHEEP on the internet on this suppressor. like one or two videos on youtube using subs, thats it…

Any experience or advice would be just awesome, I'm feeling pretty lame right now as I'm stuck with this almost 2lb beast..
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: Kestrel 308

Post by curtistactical »

I hate to say this so take it with a grain of salt please but with suppressors you pretty much get what you pay for. For the money the kestrel is a good deal but there are much better cans out there. I caught a bunch of flack (and still do) from the seasoned guys because I build my centerfire cans to be user serviceable, but if you are using lead bullets sub sonic it makes it nice. My 7.62 suppressor uses a mix of cones and k baffles which gives excellent suppression from sub sonic 300blk all the way through 300rum. and on a 10.5" ar15 in 300blk with Remington 220gr subsonics meters right around 125db. I am not trying to make a sales pitch to you but if you would like to see them check out curtistactical.com
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

pistolpeta wrote:Welp, the suppressor in question is a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 308.
There's your problem right there.

FYI the speed of sound also varies with air temperature and humidity, so 1050fps can actually be supersonic or transonic and give you some sonic crack depending on your environment.

But yeah, I've never met an experienced silencer user who raved about Huntertown Arms. They are simple, fairly old designs.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I thought it was fairly well known that Hunterstown products are cheap for a reason. I know I've posted more than once about the problem. They have some innovative ideas but their execution needs work. Too heavy and too loud. Don't feel to bad, I made the same mistake with my first can...( but not Hunterstown) being new I went for durablity (I thought) and disregarded weight while thinking all suppression was the same. Eight silencers ( by 5 different manufacturers) later I know what a huge difference weight makes and I do my research very thoroughly when it comes to suppression. Hang in there, you were going to buy more anyway...whether you knew it or not :wink:.
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Gosh.
i wouldnt care so much if only the dang thing worked!
the weight can be negated for now i just wanted suppression.

but yeah, the future will contain a much better suppressor.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

pistolpeta wrote:Gosh.

I will be back in operation by mid January, I can re-baffle the suppressor for you to get it to where it should be sound reduction wise.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

curtistactical wrote:

I will be back in operation by mid January, I can re-baffle the suppressor for you to get it to where it should be sound reduction wise.
Really?!?!?!?
i didnt know that i could have any part of the suppressor modified at all!!
this can be done?!?!?!?
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

pistolpeta wrote:
curtistactical wrote:

Really?!?!?!?
i didnt know that i could have any part of the suppressor modified at all!!
this can be done?!?!?!?
Yep, the tube is the registered part, any 07/02 FFL who is willing can do this for you. I plan on adding this as part of my services when I reopen just to add some diversity to my shop. There are a lot of guys out there in the same position as you are. I can replace all of your baffles with better ones and return to you a very nice performing can. I am currently working on a standard list of suppressors I will modify.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

You sir, are the man!
You probably do not yet have a fee that you could quote me, but If its worth it price wise to just replace the baffles then I would like to step into that line my friend.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

pistolpeta wrote:You sir, are the man!
You probably do not yet have a fee that you could quote me, but If its worth it price wise to just replace the baffles then I would like to step into that line my friend.
All I need to know is what you would like for it to perform better on, I can build the baffles to be quieter on the 300blk using sub sonics( more k-baffles less cones) or to work better on super sonic 30cal rounds ( all cone baffles) or a mix to work great across the board ( this is what my production 30 cal cans use). If you go for the first option sub 300blk will run around 120 db, second option around 130 db, and third option around 125 db. just let me know what you would like and I will get pricing for you. My production 30 cal can meteres 125db on 8.3 300blk using subs, 139db on 18" 7.62 bolt gun using 147gr military ammo, and 138db on 10.5" ar15 using federal 5.56 55gr. My recommendation would be to go for the third option and have a can that works great on everything.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Now see, the current baffles are all K baffles, what would you be able to do that the current ones cant?
Id mainly like for the can to suppress subs the best, in 300 blk.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

It is just the way they do the K's that make it louder, the profile on the back and the port size / angle make all the difference in the level of suppression. If you were to run the Kestrel on full power 308 you would notice less of a difference between it and other manufacturers. This is the reason most 9mm cans work great on 300blk subs and the reason for me asking you which you prefer it to work better on. With the slower moving lower pressure gas of the 300 subs you can really direct the gas very well in the baffles. I will meter the can before and after for you and give you the numbers that it metered at. There is no magic here just a lot of testing and experience and knowing what works.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Ok, i understand now.
it is a can set up for 308, so it probably works better for that round haha.

Man, January cant come fast enough!
Feel like i just sent in for another tax stamp haha.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

I know what you mean, I have been playing carpenter and electrician doing as much as I can while waiting on the insurance. I have been trying to find meter data with the Kestrel 308 on 300blk and its just not there. My guess is it is probably somewhere around 130-132 db. so you will be seeing around a 10db drop in sound over what you have now.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Thats what Im saying, there is NO information on this can.
I plan on doing an in depth review of before and after you modify it. Cause there really is such a lack of information at this point.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

pistolpeta wrote:Thats what Im saying, there is NO information on this can.
I plan on doing an in depth review of before and after you modify it. Cause there really is such a lack of information at this point.
Cool I'll provide some nice complete data for you to use, I am thinking there are going to be a lot more guys out there with these that would like to upgrade.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

curtistactical wrote:
pistolpeta wrote:Thats what Im saying, there is NO information on this can.
Cool I'll provide some nice complete data for you to use, I am thinking there are going to be a lot more guys out there with these that would like to upgrade.
Excellent!
I believe you are spot on, cause i know Im not the only goof to purchase something without data haha.
Oh me.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

pistolpeta wrote:Now see, the current baffles are all K baffles, what would you be able to do that the current ones cant?
The baffles pictured on their website are definitely not K baffles. Are you sure you know what K baffles are?
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Conqueror wrote:
pistolpeta wrote:Now see, the current baffles are all K baffles, what would you be able to do that the current ones cant?
The baffles pictured on their website are definitely not K baffles. Are you sure you know what K baffles are?
The 556 uses cone baffles and the 308 uses somewhat of a K baffle, they do look kind of funny its like a K baffle with a long front diameter.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

I thought they were K baffles but they have a prolonged body, idk what to call them.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I am constantly amazed at how so many silencer companies do not understand how k baffles work and design them poorly.
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Idk man, but the truth is in the sound. shooting subs through this can leaves ALOT to be wanted.
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

curtistactical wrote:
All I need to know is what you would like for it to perform better on, I can build the baffles to be quieter on the 300blk using sub sonics( more k-baffles less cones) or to work better on super sonic 30cal rounds ( all cone baffles) or a mix to work great across the board ( this is what my production 30 cal cans use). If you go for the first option sub 300blk will run around 120 db, second option around 130 db, and third option around 125 db. just let me know what you would like and I will get pricing for you. My production 30 cal can meteres 125db on 8.3 300blk using subs, 139db on 18" 7.62 bolt gun using 147gr military ammo, and 138db on 10.5" ar15 using federal 5.56 55gr. My recommendation would be to go for the third option and have a can that works great on everything.
So, going for the first option, main use on the 300 blackout subs, what would that run me?
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

pistolpeta wrote:
curtistactical wrote:
So, going for the first option, main use on the 300 blackout subs, what would that run me?
I will do it for $300, first baffle will be Inconel and the rest will be 17-4 S.S. I will probably be charging a little more when I really get into them but what the hell I like the fact that you are going to do a right up on it.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

So idk what the inner diameter of yalls .308 cans are, but this one is .400"
I know the reason for having a larger diameter than the projectile, without having done any testing on baffle design, is that big of a hole necessary?

I shot some supers through this can with an 8" barrel, and i saw flames coming out of the end of my suppressor, through my scope...