Please advise regarding first suppressor purchase.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

texasaiga

Please advise regarding first suppressor purchase.

Post by texasaiga »

My attorney is currently writing up my gun trust right now. Should be done by the first part of the week. I have been putting up acquiring NFA stuff despite my avid gun passion simply because of the red tape involved, but I decided its finally time to get into it.

Here is what i am after regarding suppressor characteristics:

Durable(able to withstand full auto abuse from anything .308 or less)
Longevity
effectiveness
MODULARITY.

I want something I can use on my bolt action .308, my AK's(14x1LH), my .22's and my .223's. I dont really care about size, weight, or price. I just want something tough and modular.

My local class III dealer suggested I consider either a Specwar 7.62 or a Saker 7.62. I have been leaning toward the Saker due to the .223 end cap they offer for their 7.62 can. I was thinking I could just get the Trifecta MAAD for my AR and .308, and the direct thread module and a thread adapter for my AK.

Am I missing anything, or is this ^^^ a good plan? Anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: Please advise regarding first suppressor purchase.

Post by jdasilva »

The saker 762 is the way to go if you want modularity.

I'm pretty sure that Silencerco won't make an AK mount of any type, so you can just get an 14x1 to 5/8x24 adapter.

Make sure the adapter is tight against the front sight, since its a loose fit. You may need to file down the back of the adapter just a touch in order for it to lock into place. (make sure its 100% flat)

3 seconds to all caps.............................MAKE SURE THE BARREL & SILENCER ARE CONCENTRIC!!!!!!!
With the AK UNLOADED & silencer mounted, shine a light through the rear of the barrel. Look through the muzzle of the silencer & make sure that you do not see any shadows of any kind. (like a crescent moon). If so, abandon your quest for a suppressed AK until you can buy one that has a concentric barrel & threads. If you disregard this, you WILL damage your silencer.

I run the specwar 762 on my AK without issue but it is a little louder due to the gasses having more places to escape. Still hearing safe though.

I got my adapter at cnc warrior for $17
http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetail ... Code=24928

A lot of people say to not use adapters with silencers but I use them all the time on my pistols & rifles. I've never had an issue with one.

Saves $$$ on different pistons/mounts & time changing them out. Good luck sir & welcome to your new addiction!
texasaiga

Post by texasaiga »

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I had done my homework and thought I was on the right track. Its good to know that I am. :-) I am very excited to start playing with suppressors. I own 15 acres in east texas and shoot a lot. Although it is perfectly legal for me to shoot whatever I want whenever I want, a suppressor will make my activities a little more considerate for my neighbors. :) Thanks!
jehu

Post by jehu »

Yankee Hill is good for the $ and has plenty of adaptors for the other Cal's.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Since you want full auto my vote is definitely saker. I own one and love it.

You will need another can for .22. Any take apart can will do. Spectre 2 and The Octane series are popular. Liberty Essence is worth a long look as well.

I own all of those as well.
texasaiga

Post by texasaiga »

I guess its a good thing I ordered the saker then lol. Thanks for the input fellas.