osprey 9mm vs 45

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

timelinex

osprey 9mm vs 45

Post by timelinex »

OK. So I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. I know the argument of the 45 being able to be used on a 9mm with minimal downsides. I was hoping to hear from someone with experience using both the 9mm and 45 at the same time and actually heard the difference.

I have pistols in many calibers, but 99% of my shots down range are 9mm. So while it would be convenient to have something that can be used on everything, if there is a significant audible difference between the 9 and 45 can, then its not worth the compromise of noise for the one or two times a year I will use it on something other than 9mm.

It's impossible to tell through youtube videos and DB ratings what it will actually sound like, and unfortunately I do not know anyone locally here in phx with both or even one of the cans.

So my question is directly to those that have heard both back to back and whether there is an audible difference without having to pay really hard attention to hear it..

Thanks!
timelinex

Re: osprey 9mm vs 45

Post by timelinex »

noone with experience with both?
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

In order to get a valid test, you would have to use both with a 9mm, which nobody will probably do. :?
Impeach Obama for violating the Constitution.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

gunham wrote:In order to get a valid test, you would have to use both with a 9mm, which nobody will probably do. :?
I've seen signatures of people that have both 9 and 45 cans. I would figure that they would try something like this, just to see the results. I know I sure would.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

OK, I have some experience with these. To me, the 9 is a tad quieter but most people probably wouldn't notice. I always noticed that the FRP on the 45 was a little louder though. I prefer the 9 because it's very optimized for its purpose. Few people realize how compact it is because they're just used to seeing the 45. A 9Osprey on a Sig P226 is my all-time favorite pistol combo.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I think the host is a bigger factor than the difference between the two cans.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

MJF1911 wrote:I think the host is a bigger factor than the difference between the two cans.
This.

My 9 is in jail for another month or so I think, but like somebody else mentioned, keep the size in mind too. 9 is an inch shorter, which doesn't seem like much, but it's noticeably more compact.

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ
This is a demonstration of:

.45, .40, & 9mm
SHOT THROUGH .45 OSPREY

.40, & 9mm
SHOT THROUGH .40 OSPREY

9mm
SHOT THROUGH 9mm OSPREY
I'm sure fireman1291 could give some input on both, but ~3db, are you going to notice the difference? Probably not. Of course if you don't care about shooting 45 through it, then just go with the 9, it will be quieter and more compact. Plus you can still plug 300BLK through it :D
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

Wahnsinn wrote: I'm sure fireman1291 could give some input on both, but ~3db, are you going to notice the difference? Probably not. Of course if you don't care about shooting 45 through it, then just go with the 9, it will be quieter and more compact. Plus you can still plug 300BLK through it :D
FWIW, 3db is technically TWICE as loud. The DB scale is logarithmic and not linear. The only reason I say technically is because it WILL be twice as loud, but that doesnt mean the actual perceptible frequencies that can be heard by humans will be twice as loud.

Thats why I'm trying to get actual user experience, rather than looking at raw numbers. They don't have any concrete basis to our reality.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Well before you even think about the caliber, consider getting the Octane instead of the Osprey (unless you're truly going for its looks). Take apart capability and better fixed mount options.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

rimshaker wrote:Well before you even think about the caliber, consider getting the Octane instead of the Osprey (unless you're truly going for its looks). Take apart capability and better fixed mount options.
I debated this for a while but I just don't see the allure for me for the octane. From my understanding, the main benefits are that you can take it apart and that it can withstand some seriously heavy full auto fire. However, this doesn't apply to me because I don't cast my bullets (or shoot leaded ones) and I have a 22 suppressor so I don't plan on shooting that through this. As far as the full auto thing goes, I'm sure the osprey can handle whatever I can throw at it, considering I don't plan on ever doing 300 rd mag dumps through it (or any at this point!)

From there on in the price and sound reduction are basically the same, while the osprey is an inch shorter, slightly lighter and can potentially allow certain factory sites to be used.

Am I missing something in my conclusion?
ShadesFox

Post by ShadesFox »

Having to adjust the osprey between hosts is a little annoying, but bit much of a thing. Weapon lights becomes a thing though. I cannot put a TLR1 on my Glock 17 with Osprey 45 because the can will hit the light. It wasn't much of a choice for me because the octane 45 wasn't a thing when I got my osprey. No regrets and I love my can. Though I may have done an octane because then I could do weird things like .357 mag lever rifle with no fear of using lead ammo.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

Great. Now I got more to decide. I was just about to order them today or tomorrow!

I wish this entire process was easier. I know some people are lucky enough to live by the big distributors that you can just go and demo everything. The rest of us have to just stick with guesswork (on a lifetime purchase, at that)!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

timelinex wrote: Am I missing something in my conclusion?
Those are good observations, but remember there is still plenty of lead buildup from shooting any centerfire pistol calibers. I still recommend go the take-apart route.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

More research has led me to the octane. It looks like the sights are still barely ever seen on top of the osprey anyways.

I am 95% sure I've decided on the octane 9. I know everyone recommends the 45, since you can shoot the subcalibers. But it doesn't suppress 9mm as good and doesn't work nearly as well on the other 300blk or 22lr. It is also bigger and heavier. This would all be a good comprimise for most people, since the big advantage is you can shoot 45 too. HOWEVER, while I have a 40 and 45, 99.9% of all my shots down range are 9mm. Doesn't make sense to compromise for me I think.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

The Octane is a great can, you'll be very happy with it. After a few months of waiting for your 9 you can get the paperwork started for the 45 version. :)
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

MJF1911 wrote:The Octane is a great can, you'll be very happy with it. After a few months of waiting for your 9 you can get the paperwork started for the 45 version. :)
Yep. I talked to the guys over at silencer shop. I have finally made a decision to go with the Octane 9 can. He confirmed what I suspected. Everyone says to get the 45 can and it will sound and be the same.... but most people that say that never shot a 9mm can on their 9mm. The 9mm can is smaller and at the same time noticeably quieter(by a little).
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

The only thing you'll really notice is that it is an inch shorter, the weight won't be noticeable and while it may be quieter on the meter it'll probably be a little higher pitched so it won't actually sound any quieter. It is still a very good can and you'll be happy with it.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

MJF1911 wrote:The only thing you'll really notice is that it is an inch shorter, the weight won't be noticeable and while it may be quieter on the meter it'll probably be a little higher pitched so it won't actually sound any quieter. It is still a very good can and you'll be happy with it.
This to a T.

The Osprey 9 has a higher frequency tone, but it metered quieter. Human ears prefer lower tones like when found shooting 9 through a 45 can. I like the compactness of the Osprey9. So I just bought them all. lol
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview