AAC Pilot v. Silencerco Sparrow

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jwise
Silent Operator

AAC Pilot v. Silencerco Sparrow

Post by jwise »

I have had an AAC Pilot for nearly 8 years. It is a great little can. Very lightweight, very quiet, etc... However, it is a sealed .22 can. I never shot it much, so I didn't worry about it having a "life span" of rounds through it, with no way to service it. However, now that I live on some land, and can legally shoot/hunt on my land, I expect to shoot a lot more. However, due to neighbors being somewhat close by, I plan to shoot a lot more SUPPRESSED.

So, while purchasing an AAC Ti-Rant 9mm, I decided to throw another .22 can into the purchase and (nearly) on a whim purchased a Silencerco Sparrow (I say 'nearly', because I did look into them a little last night and looked at the specs online while in the store).

So, now I will have a user serviceable .22 can that I can shoot more without worry. The Sparrow weighs a bit more than the Pilot, and is rated for full-auto with stainless steel baffles.

Other than that, what else can I expect from the new Sparrow over the older Pilot?
J. Wise
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Pilot v. Silencerco Sparrow

Post by MJF1911 »

SRI can make your Pilot user serviceable. I went with the Spectre II for my FA .22LR can, but the Sparrow a very good choice too.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

MJF1911 wrote:SRI can make your Pilot user serviceable.
Who is this SRI you speak of, and what must be done to pull off this feat of magic ?
J. Wise
tripntx
Silent Operator

Post by tripntx »

SRI is http://stalkingrhino.com/

My wife shoots Pilot II on her SR22.
I shoot Sparrow SS on my 22/45 Lite, Walther made Colt 1911 22LR, & SBR AR15 22LR.

Weight and diameter is very apparent when holding them side by side, but I don't notice the weight difference when shooting them.

Both are hearing safe. I don't worry about ammo selection and how many rounds have been shot through the Sparrow like I do through the Pilot. Sparrow has a noticeable first round pop, but it isn't louder than my Benjamin 22 cal pump air rifle. Sparrow doesn't have to be cleaned until 1,000 rounds have been fired.

Pilot II looks better on my 22/45 Lite than the Sparrow does.

I've never shot either of them on anything longer than a 5" barrel, so I can't give personal rifle barrel length performance info. What I've always read is that the Sparrow is outstanding on a rifle length barrel.
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

SRI no longer "jailbreaks" .22 cans that have been fired.

What a great service to offer! I hope they start doing it again, but I suppose they stopped because their time could be more profitably spent elsewhere...
J. Wise
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

tripntx wrote: Weight and diameter is very apparent when holding them side by side, but I don't notice the weight difference when shooting them.
Good to know! They ARE noticeably different in that regard. I almost went with the Warlock for that reason, but decided I didn't really care about the weight, as it was going on my M&P22, which is a fullsize pistol. The slightly larger diameter didn't matter either, as it would if it were going on the Ruger (the Pilot is just an extension of the barrel tube, and nearly looks seemless).

J. Wise
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

That is the same setup I have, Pac Lite on the 22/45 with a Pilot.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

It's a fantastic, especially with the Blackdog Machine holster!

The suppressor hangs out the bottom a little, but otherwise it is a great way to carry a suppressed pistol afield!
J. Wise