broken suppressor - now a paperweight?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: broken suppressor - now a paperweight?

Post by Emilio »

a_canadian wrote:Dudes, seriously, WTF! Is everyone around here just incredibly drunk? Or sleepy? I don't want to guess stupid 'cause that's mean, and I don't want to be mean. Okay, look, I'll explain it for those who seem to be running a little slow tonight. I am NOT bashing the Second Amendment to your constitution, I was bashing an idiot who seems bent on attacking practically everyone who prefers to do things the legal way. I was suggesting that his obviously great love of personal freedom which takes him well across the line legally speaking does not give him the right to attack those who would rather stay out of prison and live with their families instead.

Where the heck do you get the notion that I want to ban guns, just because I'm a Canadian? Again, WTF? If you bother to browse some of my other posts around here you'll get clear of that notion. I enjoy shooting. What the heck are you talking about? You think that left-leaning politics and an anti-gun stance are necessarily in lockstep? Get your head out of that cloud and do some looking around. People are more diverse than that. I've been vegetarian since over 30 years ago, but I shoot squirrels because the little f____rs annoy the heck out of me and eat everything in my garden.

Little Bo Peep? No. Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat For President.' 4th in the series. Classic SF, about a larger than life crook who's gone over to the good side to do crimes in the name of a peaceful galaxy. Sort of Dirty Harry meets Batman. Only he prefers not to kill people, as everyone, no matter how awfully they're behaving, gets just this one life to live and who the heck is he to take that away if there are other ways of working things out? Awesome guy. My son's new hero. Has a lot of great gadgets, and he's a clever one too. Anyway, screw off with the unwarranted sarcasm. I'm not being the little troll, that new guy is, and he needs to straighten up and fly right.
" Dude" it was your tone I didn't like and felt the need to reply. Using a recent death of an officer was disrespectful as well as 2nd ammendment supporters as being hillbillies. I really don't care if you eat like a sheep either. :D Your types need to feel superior by belittling , we understand that. :mrgreen:

I'm not in agreement with Catskinner either and happen to like cats.

As for the topic, it's unfortunate that the ATF treats suppressor parts like nuclear waste and I would have camped out at the range until the parts where recovered then to hear it was an indoor range? where could the parts go? Also surprised to hear it was an Element! Something must have been seriously wrong. Why didn't AAC tell the OP the bad news instantly?

Sorry to hear and Hope you have a change of luck OP. :?
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

I didn't see the hillbilly remark. But Ill say it again, if the manufacturer can't fix it because of the LAW, and it becomes a paperweight, Im sorry, but I'm fixing my can. If that is breaking the law, by making a legal can useful, because I paid the stamp tax already, what is really against the law? Really you paid the stamp, so what law is broken? Or is it just a regulation that the atf made up as they go? Nobody I know would even argue this as being wrong. Its common sense. And all the naysayers and gun grabbers always call for common sense reform. So handle your business boss. And by the way, don't buy another can from whoever made that. Its not that they sent out a bad one, since everyone makes mistakes, its that they misled you and lied to you. Then they wrap themselves in the legal mumbo jumbo of the NFA. If they had integrity they would fix it and fight the ATF in the court for their beliefs. And since they are a corporation, nobody is going to jail over this anyway. Has anyone gone to jail for fixing a defective can anyway? And do you have to send in the bad baffles etc. that you replace, so they can track all these illegal baffles? Why not send the new parts out to you as a solvent catch replacement pack? This whole process makes no sense, so why try to play by the official rules? So stop the talk of jail. This is another example of making excuses. Im willing to bet if an employee of the manufacturer had the same issue with his personal can, it would of been fixed on day one. So this is a lesson, support manufacturers that support your beliefs. Call me names, but this is a no brainer. When you start claiming hillbillies and jail, over common sense, you have probably lost the argument. But I bet the gov. likes all the sheep around here. When its against the law to fix a muffler, its time to break they law down piece by piece. The manufacturer misled you for so long, that its hard to believe anything they say now. Its sad they hide behind the atf, instead of doing the right thing. Integrity means a lot in business and life, and this company is lacking it big time. Im surprised the worthless canadian isn't calling for a ban on freeze plugs and steel tube. everything is illegal now, so kill yourself already, but if you are still going to suck air, try eating meat, instead of just grass. You really are a piece of worthless skin canadian. And you wonder why your country is looked upon as a bunch of moslem pandering excuse making wimps.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Enough is enough folks.

No more name calling,, no more snarkiness.

No more discussing, "I'm going to break the law".

No this forum isn't really moderated, but I'm getting irritated about it. I will ban folks.

Oh and no nastiness in PM's either.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

who was nasty to you in a pm? I thought if you had an issue with a guy it was polite to do it in a pm, so its not aired to the public forum. Im asking to learn procedure around this helpful and insightful place. Maybe some context to the nastiness of the pm would be helpful. And whoever said they were breaking the law should have b's secret gov agency come drag them off to the gulag. Unless thought is now illegal, which wouldn't surprise me with the kind of people in this country now.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Would it be possible to cut the can to the length of the remaining baffles and roll the end so that the baffles stay inserted? Believing that the serial number would not be cut ot touched.

I hope I explained it correctly. The last baffle would become the endcap. The can would not be as effective either, but it wouldn't become a paperweight.
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

Originally when this issue happened, I was told that we could replace the parts but to tell the customer that he needs to make sure he is not in possession of these parts or it is a felony. This was NOT from the compliance department. I then was going through the warranty cans and noticed the missing parts, brought it up to the compliance department and then learned the real story.

Catskinner, you need to calm down. You need to do some research before you talk. We are not hiding behind the ATF ruling. We would give him new everything if we could, we don't care about fixing the can it is not a problem. These are warrantied for life. Fixing it is not the problem. We are not going to send parts when we do not have all the original parts, because then the ATF will come after us for transferring illegal parts if the customer has the original parts still. We will not take that risk, nomatter how much you whine on a forum about a warranty issue that is not yours.

Why don't you start a silencer company and break the law? It would work out great. You clearly have no clue how any of this works.

And also, you are legally not allowed to repair your silencer on your own anyway from my understanding of the law, again, this is probably something you should research.
Nick
Customer service at Advanced Armament Corporation
[email protected]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kanook wrote:Would it be possible to cut the can to the length of the remaining baffles and roll the end so that the baffles stay inserted? Believing that the serial number would not be cut ot touched.

I hope I explained it correctly. The last baffle would become the endcap. The can would not be as effective either, but it wouldn't become a paperweight.
Not legally it couldn't.

The ATF only allows shortening of the tube to accommodate rethreading, if there are missing baffles then its well beyond the length that the ATF allows.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Catskinner wrote:cry to a mod. Typical lib.
Dude, take your hormones or whatever the fcuk makes you calm down.

People here are pretty much straight laced about the law, not because they think the law SHOULD be the way it is, but rather because they recognize that breaking it, recommending others break it, or talking about those things online isn't the most helpful thing for literally anything.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Get a grip people.

OP, I wish that I could come up there & help you look for those baffles. I feel for you man. I had a baffle strike on my saker & it took a LONG time to find the end cap. It flew about 25yds way to my left.

If everything doesn't work out, I hope AAC gives you a new can & also hooks you up with their "Damn the Man" promo to cover the costs of the tax stamp.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

NickAAC wrote:Originally when this issue happened, I was told that we could replace the parts but to tell the customer that he needs to make sure he is not in possession of these parts or it is a felony. This was NOT from the compliance department. I then was going through the warranty cans and noticed the missing parts, brought it up to the compliance department and then learned the real story.

Catskinner, you need to calm down. You need to do some research before you talk. We are not hiding behind the ATF ruling. We would give him new everything if we could, we don't care about fixing the can it is not a problem. These are warrantied for life. Fixing it is not the problem. We are not going to send parts when we do not have all the original parts, because then the ATF will come after us for transferring illegal parts if the customer has the original parts still. We will not take that risk, nomatter how much you whine on a forum about a warranty issue that is not yours.

Why don't you start a silencer company and break the law? It would work out great. You clearly have no clue how any of this works.

And also, you are legally not allowed to repair your silencer on your own anyway from my understanding of the law, again, this is probably something you should research.
I might not have a clue, but I know I would fix this can if it was my call. Especially after dicking him around for that long. Or I would get him a new one with a rebate for the new stamp. You can make this right or make excuses, I know what I would do. This isn't anything personal, so Im not sure why the nastiness. If you buy something , and it fails under warranty, and then the warranty turns out to be worthless, you just bought an excuse. Make it right, and see people as customers for life. Blame the customer, or blame the atf, but its the company that can make it right. And by the way Im very calm, and I never mentioned you or the company out of respect.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

Tony M. wrote:
Catskinner wrote:cry to a mod. Typical lib.
Dude, take your hormones or whatever the fcuk makes you calm down.

People here are pretty much straight laced about the law, not because they think the law SHOULD be the way it is, but rather because they recognize that breaking it, recommending others break it, or talking about those things online isn't the most helpful thing for literally anything.

Is it the law that you can't fix a can with lost baffles, without the return of the lost ones? This reminds me of the confusion of building a r15 pistols, and having an unused stock laying in the house too. Those were shot down after a bunch of bs eventually too. I can't find it, other than people saying that they were told that. Im trying to always follow every law, but I also try do do my due diligence, instead of parroting others. Is it a law, or is it a bureaucrat giving his idea? Because compliance has no arresting or legal powers, I mean who makes these laws? Im trying to research this and Im called names, its amazing the sheep around here, that can't think for themselves. The atf says a lot of things, but its what legal that counts.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

To the OP, if you're still around :wink: , which version of the Twintech threaded barrel were you using?

And i assume you were also using a Twintech 1/2x28 adapter?

I'm more curious now since i've got the exact setup, except with a Sparrow.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Catskinner,

You and Leonard been friends long?
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

tsands974 wrote:Catskinner,

You and Leonard been friends long?

You mean Lynyrd? Not sure what you mean otherwise.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

This may help the OP dealing with the manufacturer. Since the silencer was obviously defective. I found this in a many years old posting on this forum. So the manufacturer is not dealing in an honest manner, or the people giving advice are wrong, or they just don't care. But it seems this can be fixed without making everyone involved a felon.

NickAAC; maybe you should calm down and do the right thing, instead of making excuses. To be nasty to people trying to come up with solutions leaves a bad feeling about the company. Work on solutions, instead of excuses. Integrity means a lot, and gun owners are loyal to a fault, for the most part. So step up and show why you guys are #1 in the can bidness. You said they are warrantied for life, so this should be a done deal.

Our letter state "A silencer which is unusable due to a
manufacturer's defect, may be replaced without incurring transfer
tax, only if the silencer is returned to the original manufacturer
for repair and the original manufacturer is licensed as a
manufacturer of firearms and has currently paid SOT as a
manufacturer of firearms." Only the original manufacturer may
replace a defective silencer with one bearing the same markings and
without incurring transfer tax. If the original manufacturer of
the silencer is no longer qualified to manufacture NFA firearms,
such as by no longer being in business, they any replacement would
involve the making of a new silencer with the appropriate
registration and transfer tax.

Should any additional information be needed, please contact Gary
Schiable at (202) 927-8330.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Catskinner wrote:This may help the OP dealing with the manufacturer. Since the silencer was obviously defective. I found this in a many years old posting on this forum. So the manufacturer is not dealing in an honest manner, or the people giving advice are wrong, or they just don't care. But it seems this can be fixed without making everyone involved a felon.

NickAAC; maybe you should calm down and do the right thing, instead of making excuses. To be nasty to people trying to come up with solutions leaves a bad feeling about the company. Work on solutions, instead of excuses. Integrity means a lot, and gun owners are loyal to a fault, for the most part. So step up and show why you guys are #1 in the can bidness. You said they are warrantied for life, so this should be a done deal.

Unfortunately GEMTAX destroyed the opinion letter you quoted above, now noone can replace a serialized tube, not the OEM or anyone else once it leaves the factory.

From ATF website....
"Q: If the outer tube is destroyed or damaged beyond repair, may it be replaced?

A: Unless the outer tube is replaced by the manufacturer prior to its removal from the manufacturing premises for purposes of sale or distribution, the replacement of the outer tube amounts to the making of a new silencer."
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Is it just me that sees a similarity in catskinners posts, with the guy that came here degrading all the form 1 folks using hand drawn plans and manual lathes? I'm referring to the attitude that is permeating the posts.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

I think it is a general rage building against anything 'ATF'. People rage aginst anything that agrees with anything the ATF says or does.
I can't speak for historical posts here, but across the wide spectrum of firearms forums, I've noticed a distinct uptick in "F the ATF and anything they say or do!". I don't disagree with that sentiment, but I also realize we, forums, don't have any direct influence over this stuff and it is useless to argue with one another over ATF rulings.

OP - go back to the range for the parts yet?
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
dustdevil
Silent Operator

Post by dustdevil »

Catskinner wrote:
NickAAC wrote:Originally when this issue happened, I was told that we could replace the parts but to tell the customer that he needs to make sure he is not in possession of these parts or it is a felony. This was NOT from the compliance department. I then was going through the warranty cans and noticed the missing parts, brought it up to the compliance department and then learned the real story.

I might not have a clue, but I know I would fix this can if it was my call. Especially after dicking him around for that long. Or I would get him a new one with a rebate for the new stamp. You can make this right or make excuses, I know what I would do. This isn't anything personal, so Im not sure why the nastiness. If you buy something , and it fails under warranty, and then the warranty turns out to be worthless, you just bought an excuse. Make it right, and see people as customers for life. Blame the customer, or blame the atf, but its the company that can make it right. And by the way Im very calm, and I never mentioned you or the company out of respect.
You are just another "entitlement" bastard. Give me free, Give me free, Give me free is all you want, for yourself and everyone else. You are not a libertarian you are a socialist at a minimum. Typical modern gun owner, wants everything for free or discounted because his third cousin went to a MEPS station one day and gave a serious thought to going into law enforcement.

I think AAC is being exceptional in this instance. AAC cannot replace the internals without ALL the internals present, period, no discussion. Expecting a manufacturer to break the law because it suits your "Gimme free s--t" mentality is ludicrous. If you want free s--t go get a liberal arts degree and sit in a coffee shop and complain about how unfair life is, maybe get yourself a beret. Marx is YOUR friend.

Simple fact for catskinner, ATF is not only the enforcement for federal gun control laws they are in fact the regulatory body of the said laws. They are like the FDA and DEA in one big anti-gun s--t roll.

The original poster "claims" that all he did was shoot 22lr. Gun owners never lie, get divorced, or have any other bad habits and they always help old ladies cross the street. If you believe that then I have a bridge to sell you. Blaming AAC for something completely based on a poster's online claims is stupid and idiotic. Without physical proof of his claims no one can tell for sure what happened. For all I know he shot FN 5.7mm out of the thing or maybe even 8mm Mauser. In other words people always sugar coat it to get out of the bill.

To the original op, I have no idea what you thought was going to happen when you posted the original complaint on here. You are dealing with AAC not the Moonshine Brothers Silencer Shop. AAC is not in the habit of making up NFA interpretations just to get out of warranty claims.

Since the very first gun forum was created people have gone online and said things like:
"I went to the gun range and while I was peeing 50 yards away from my gun, it just blew up. The manufacturer won't fix it for free. What can I do?"

AAC will help you as much as they are legally able to.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

dustdevil wrote:
Catskinner wrote:

You are just another "entitlement" bastard. Give me free, Give me free, Give me free is all you want, for yourself and everyone else. You are not a libertarian you are a socialist at a minimum. Typical modern gun owner, wants everything for free or discounted because his third cousin went to a MEPS station one day and gave a serious thought to going into law enforcement.

I think AAC is being exceptional in this instance. AAC cannot replace the internals without ALL the internals present, period, no discussion. Expecting a manufacturer to break the law because it suits your "Gimme free s--t" mentality is ludicrous. If you want free s--t go get a liberal arts degree and sit in a coffee shop and complain about how unfair life is, maybe get yourself a beret. Marx is YOUR friend.

Simple fact for catskinner, ATF is not only the enforcement for federal gun control laws they are in fact the regulatory body of the said laws. They are like the FDA and DEA in one big anti-gun s--t roll.

The original poster "claims" that all he did was shoot 22lr. Gun owners never lie, get divorced, or have any other bad habits and they always help old ladies cross the street. If you believe that then I have a bridge to sell you. Blaming AAC for something completely based on a poster's online claims is stupid and idiotic. Without physical proof of his claims no one can tell for sure what happened. For all I know he shot FN 5.7mm out of the thing or maybe even 8mm Mauser. In other words people always sugar coat it to get out of the bill.

To the original op, I have no idea what you thought was going to happen when you posted the original complaint on here. You are dealing with AAC not the Moonshine Brothers Silencer Shop. AAC is not in the habit of making up NFA interpretations just to get out of warranty claims.

Since the very first gun forum was created people have gone online and said things like:
"I went to the gun range and while I was peeing 50 yards away from my gun, it just blew up. The manufacturer won't fix it for free. What can I do?"

AAC will help you as much as they are legally able to.
you got me Im a socialist and want free stuff. Dirtdevil get out of AAC's ass already. Its no big deal until you have an issue Im sure. A lifetime warranty, at a large manufacturer, can be handled. They can probably tell why the can went bad by now. They had it quite a while.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

Bendersquint wrote:
Catskinner wrote:This may help the OP dealing with the manufacturer. Since the silencer was obviously defective. I found this in a many years old posting on this forum. So the manufacturer is not dealing in an honest manner, or the people giving advice are wrong, or they just don't care. But it seems this can be fixed without making everyone involved a felon.

Unfortunately GEMTAX destroyed the opinion letter you quoted above, now noone can replace a serialized tube, not the OEM or anyone else once it leaves the factory.

From ATF website....
"Q: If the outer tube is destroyed or damaged beyond repair, may it be replaced?

A: Unless the outer tube is replaced by the manufacturer prior to its removal from the manufacturing premises for purposes of sale or distribution, the replacement of the outer tube amounts to the making of a new silencer."

OK. that explains the tube then, but where is there info on the baffles having to be turned over by law, to get new ones replaced? This sounds hard to believe that nothing can be done here.

And what does the destroyed letter have to do with anything? Or is this just another atf way of changing their mind on a whim? And Im being serious, and appreciate the information and response. Are you saying a copy of a letter is what makes this legal or not?
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Is it just me that sees a similarity in catskinners posts, with the guy that came here degrading all the form 1 folks using hand drawn plans and manual lathes? I'm referring to the attitude that is permeating the posts.

I would never degrade a guy doing it himself, I respect the hell out of that. My attitude is just that there has to be a fix to this, but people prefer to quote the atf ad nauseum, instead of finding a work around. So if I just jump in line, and say nope its illegal you can't do it, would that be better? Where is the law that says a baffle can't be replaced without another bad baffle being turned over first? So I guess the atf must destroy baffles under watch then, since nobody can be trusted. I just want a clear and precise understanding on this. Not hearsay and convoluted doublespeak. And I think its great that SIG is holding the atf feet to the fire, and the judges opinion speaks volume about how the atf determines what a silencer is. And once that opinion is upheld, then baffles and parts won't be considered a silencer. And its likely the fall of a sear as a gun etc. So once you contest the absurd opinions, as more people are aware of how ridiculous it is not that a can is a firearm etc., the more freedoms we claw back. Some people are sheep and follow anyone, and others challenge what they see as unfair and wrong. So we all chose who we want be. But Im not a sheep like you. Are you into buggery by the way? You sound like that type.
Catskinner

Post by Catskinner »

RPM509 wrote:I think it is a general rage building against anything 'ATF'. People rage aginst anything that agrees with anything the ATF says or does.
I can't speak for historical posts here, but across the wide spectrum of firearms forums, I've noticed a distinct uptick in "F the ATF and anything they say or do!". I don't disagree with that sentiment, but I also realize we, forums, don't have any direct influence over this stuff and it is useless to argue with one another over ATF rulings.

OP - go back to the range for the parts yet?

I think its a general feeling against the gov. in general. The pendulum has swung way to far past center, and everything is illegal, and your rights are under threat, or gone, in regard to the patriot act. The problem with atf rulings are that they are all arbitrary. And they change their mind all to often. So its either a law or its not. I mean people at the atf thought the gun walking scheme was a great idea too. So they aren't exactly the smartest folks in the country.
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

Cat, you have a severely limited understanding of the things you are speculating about. I'm done addressing your unwarranted rants. We are going to handle this situation as the best we can. We would rather not break any laws.
Nick
Customer service at Advanced Armament Corporation
[email protected]
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Catskinner wrote:...
OK. that explains the tube then, but where is there info on the baffles having to be turned over by law, to get new ones replaced? This sounds hard to believe that nothing can be done here.
The letter you're cherry-picking from is the second one of a pair.

But these are "letters" not "rulings" and assuming they were valid for anyone other than the original addressee even without the GemTax it's still not possible to replace anything tax-free without the original components.

Both letters state the parts (unmarked silencer components) have to be returned and destroyed to be replaced without requiring a new registration tax. They have to be replaced on an exchange basis. Without the original components it's a new silencer and a new tax. Find those parts.

The piece of the letter your quoting states tube replacement is possible by the original manufacturer for silencers unusable due to a manufacturer defect. Even if GemTax had never happened the original components would be required for the manufacturer to examine and verify the silencer was defective. Without those parts no examination can be made, no silencer can be found defective and no replacement can be had without a new tax. Find those parts.

Sure AAC could give away a new silencer for free AND pay the tax based on the customer's hand to god he did everything right and the suppressor "just blew up" . I wouldn't. I would want to verify there was a defect so I could fix my manufacturing process. Find those parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895