First Suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Creton

First Suppressor

Post by Creton »

Hey all,

I've been looking hard at suppressors for my first NFA item. I'm looking at getting a trust as well with a lawyer the gun shop recommended to me or I may go with a online option depending on the price of the lawyer.

I was at the gun shop, which is a 90 minute drive for me, to get my new DDM4v5 :D. We talked about suppressors and he brought out, what I'm assuming is what all he had in stock, which was...

AAC SR7
AAC 762 SDN-6
SpecWar 762
Phantom 308
Phantom Ti 308

Recommending me to get a larger suppressor in case I go a bigger caliber. Cause currently all I have is a AR15 556 rifle. I originally wanted the Saker, but I didn't ask him about it, but I assume he could get it in. I probably will not get anything bigger than a 556 since my next purchases I see to be 2 more pistols and a shotgun. So, I'm not really sure it is worth going 762 but it don't hurt I guess lol.

Out of the choices above I didn't really like the Phantom 308, It was just heavy. He recommended to me to get the AAC SR-7 just because of the new mounting system. I did like all of the others though.

My main concern is having good sound reduction, durability and not overally heavy along with a fair price. They all felt good weight wise but the Phantom to me atleast. I think the shop gave me a fair price for all of those mentioned though. I thought about emailing them and asking if they have a Saker or could get one since I'm sorta hooked on that one.

Any suggestions on the ones listed that they got in stock? I can't really find much information on the AAC SR-7 for comparisons.

Thanks!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: First Suppressor

Post by hardcase »

I think I would recommend a 7.62 (.308) suppressor over one exclusively for a 5.56 in your situation. You just have to change the adapter to go from a .30 cal to a 5.56 and no ATF paperwork for an adapter. I doubt your ear would notice the difference.

Many people who get a rifle can for a 5.56 end up wanting a 300 Blackout upper or complete rifle. The 300 BO is just a .308 bullet in a 5.56 case. Shooting sub-sonic is what a can is all about especially if you reload. Either way, 300 BO is great for subs. Ammo is available over-the counter if you don't reload.

If you were planning to hunt with your can, the weight might be an issue. If just bench shooting or plinking, weight not so much.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

With your concerns, think the Phantom Ti would be your go-to can. Good sound suppression, inexpensive and light weight.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Creton

Post by Creton »

Wow thanks for all the comments guys. I really do appreciate it!

I contacted a local gun shop where I bought a previous gun at and he can get the Saker 7.62 in for 880 plus tax and NFA transfer fee, which his is $50. So Total with everything it would be roughly $983 for the Saker plus the stamp then. The Saker was the one I had my hopes up for. I understand the wait will be longer but he has none in stock as it is and is a lot closer than the other shop, which I have no problem going back to he was awesome. I really cant find any other shop in my area that has any in stock. I might keep looking and reaching out to closer shops and see but I'm wanting the Saker. I will go with the 7.62 Saker if I can so I can get the 556 mount for more suppression. There are just so many choices out there lol. I'm still a little torn cause of the extra wait time if I go the Saker route. My next choice might be the AAC SR-7 maybe if i think the extra wait will be hard lol.

I do keep looking at the Ti but deep down I like the Saker. No hunting with the can just shooting at targets.

I do want to get the trust set up first so Im trying to find a local lawyer that is willing to help me out on that for a decent price.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Have you looked online at "Silencer Shop"? You buy from them, they transfer to a local guy for $25.00-$50.00 who sends off the stuff to ATF and holds your cans until ATF gets off the hinny. They can also help you with a trust if you chose that route.

I bought two cans from them but already had a trust. They are very helpful.
Creton

Post by Creton »

The shop told me they would have to wait until they get the silencer to get the serial number.

If I buy from Silencershop they give the stuff right away to the shop? I'm a little confused now lol.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Creton wrote:The shop told me they would have to wait until they get the silencer to get the serial number.

If I buy from Silencershop they give the stuff right away to the shop? I'm a little confused now lol.

Real simple process:

You buy direct from Silencer Shop.

Silencer Shop Transfers your can to your local dealer (Form 3)
Takes anywhere from a couple weeks to two months.

Local dealer start filling out the form 4, you finish with fingerprints, photos, signatures etc and mail off.

Your local dealer holds the can until your Form 4 comes back from the ATF with a stamp on it.
Various times depending on if it was under a trust, paper or e-forms etc. If your dealer has a range, some allow 'conjugal visits'
where you can go shoot it on your hosts or a loaner while you're waiting on the stamp.

Once the stamp comes in, the dealer transfers the suppressor to you just like if you bought a firearm.
You walk away with the suppressor and an original Form 4 with a cancelled stamp on it.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

The Trust thing is a real hot button issue. It should be considered but only after serious thought. Some say it won't be allowed in the future as no fingerprints or local LE sign-off is necessary for a Trust. The Trust owns the cans and firearms placed in it. There are people named in the Trust who can posess/use the cans. If you own the can as a person you are not allowed to loan it to a neighbor or friend to use. With a Trust, the Trust can name individuals who are legally allowed to use the can.

Some also say an on-line legal-zoom type trust will work. Others say not such a good thing. I think in general ATF will sign-off on a Trust but given our current political setting, hold their nose in the process.

I chose to go with a Trust, drawn up by an attorney who was experienced in, an does "Firearm Trusts". My reasons were not typical as I live in a rural setting where the local Sheriff has no problem signing off on suppressors. In fact, NC now allows hunting with a can on your firearm. My reason was I'm getting older. Our son has a mental illness. I didn't want him to be able to inherit any of my firearms.

Of those named in my Trust to possess my cans are my wife, my brother-in-law who is an attorney, and our family attorney. When I die, a responsible party can take care of disposing of all of them without fear of illegally possessing a can.

Even with a Trust, the can still goes to the local licensed gun shop, Form 4s filled out, and you wait & wait & wait. :cry:
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Another question for you.

Have you ever been around someone who is shooting a suppressed weapon or shot one?

They are not like portrayed on TV or the movies. Depending on the host gun, you may still have to wear hearing protection. I do, even with sub-sonic pistol rounds like my 9 mm and .40 S&W.

Also suppressors don't work on revolvers. To my knowledge, there has only been one revolver made that seal to the barrel and it was made in Russia.

Just an interesting tid-bit. Suppressors are considered by our Federal government to be "weapons of mass destruction". I don't know what it would be like to get one on-board a commercial airplane through TSA.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Weapons of mass destruction! That's hilarious! Yeah, a gun becomes immeasurably more powerful when it's quieter. Sounds like the "thing that goes up" and "ghost guns" thinking at work.
ShadesFox

Post by ShadesFox »

Well, they are regulated by the same laws that covers hand grenades, rocket launchers, and machine guns. So clearly they are just as evil.

Also in relation to OP, if your not planning on getting a 300blk or a .308 the .223 can will be fine. Though I can aost promise that you'll want a subsonic .300blk gun.
Creton

Post by Creton »

Thanks guys! Buying from Silencer shop seems very simple and easy.

No, I have never shot a gun or seen one in person with a suppressor on it. I do not know anyone local that does and I know they aren't quiet like the movies.

I do plan on using the silencer every time I shoot though.

I Just need to do some more thinking how I want to approach the trust. The one local lawyer has told me he'd do it for $500 and one that is 90 Minutes away says $389. So I think the cost of gas and time spent traveling equal out. I'm just torn if I should go with a online trust since a lot of people do that and haven't had any issues.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

NFA laws are confusing. I went the Lawyer route. If my Trust ever comes in question, the firm will defend it.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Creton wrote:Thanks guys! Buying from Silencer shop seems very simple and easy.

No, I have never shot a gun or seen one in person with a suppressor on it. I do not know anyone local that does and I know they aren't quiet like the movies.

I do plan on using the silencer every time I shoot though.

I Just need to do some more thinking how I want to approach the trust. The one local lawyer has told me he'd do it for $500 and one that is 90 Minutes away says $389. So I think the cost of gas and time spent traveling equal out. I'm just torn if I should go with a online trust since a lot of people do that and haven't had any issues.
$500.00 is a little on the high side. I'd ask this person if they have ever done a Firearm Trust before. If you send me a PM, I'll get you the name of the experienced person that did mine a couple years ago. I talked to him last summer about a related issue and he is still in business. Not knowing where you are, depends on if he can do it or not. You can do everything by e-mail, snail mail, and phone calls so no gas money spent.
Creton

Post by Creton »

Thanks Hardcase. I did send you a PM. I'm from Pennsylvania.

I did think about Coyote Rifleworks? Anyone have any experience with them? I cannot contact the lawyer until Thursday cause of their hours and my work schedule, so I got some time to research a bit more.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I sent you a PM. I just remembered something. I think "Silencer Shop" has a generic trust that might work too. I had to many mods to my trust to use it for my needs but it might be worth checking.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

hardcase wrote:I don't know what it would be like to get one on-board a commercial airplane through TSA.
Unless you mean inside the cabin, it's really easy. I have flown many times with NFA weapons. No different than flying with a hunting rifle. Declare them at the check-in, certify they are unloaded, lock the case with non-TSA locks and wait while the TSA guys check it through to the sterile side, then be on your way. Adds maybe 5 minutes to check-in time. At your destinaton, some airlines will just put the case on the baggage carousel, others will call you to the lost luggage office to pick up the case.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Creton

Post by Creton »

Talked to the one Lawyer last night. He wants to charge $500. Then additional $250 if I allow him to be a Co-Trustee since he owns his own class 3 business and said I could have him re-sell my stuff If I wanted and if go with him on the trust he will do all paper work for free and all that jazz. He seemed like a nice guy but I don't think so since he is 3+ hours away, He kept inviting me to come down to his place and go shoot at his facility. He said he mostly caters to Doctors and stuff that want to be fully catered to so thats why he does all this extra stuff.

I'm going to call the local lawyer in my area to talk to him. He charges $500 he told me via email but need to setup a appointment. I just want to get the trust done cause the more I look at this stuff the more anxious I get lol :). I still keep leaning towards Coyote Rifleworks or Silencer Shops trust but we will see how the talk with the lawyer goes first. Silencer Shop said their trust is viable in PA so we will see I guess.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Conqueror wrote:
hardcase wrote:I don't know what it would be like to get one on-board a commercial airplane through TSA.
Unless you mean inside the cabin, it's really easy. I have flown many times with NFA weapons. No different than flying with a hunting rifle. Declare them at the check-in, certify they are unloaded, lock the case with non-TSA locks and wait while the TSA guys check it through to the sterile side, then be on your way. Adds maybe 5 minutes to check-in time. At your destinaton, some airlines will just put the case on the baggage carousel, others will call you to the lost luggage office to pick up the case.
Good info.

Did you have to carry/show a copy of your Tax stamp? Will a copy do or do you need the original?
ShadesFox

Post by ShadesFox »

Copies are fine. I put the original someplace safe, have a copy in the gun safe and stuff a copy in the silencer pouch. A lot of people also put laminated and reduced copies in their range bag. In did that for the first form and never saw the value after that.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

I keep a copy of my stamps in an expanding envelope in my range box. Lately I've taken pictures of them on my smart phone and have them on the phone and in the cloud (internet email). If I am shooting, I should always have one or both on me.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Did you happen to see that silencer shop can set you up with a trust for $129?
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/nfa-gun-trust/
Creton

Post by Creton »

jdasilva wrote:Did you happen to see that silencer shop can set you up with a trust for $129?
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/nfa-gun-trust/

Yes I did! I was either going to thru them or coyote rifleworks. :)

Got my trust from Coyote Rifleworks this morning and I must say it is well written and definitely worth the money. Got it within 6 hours, but the file was corrupted and I contacted Eric right away in the morning and he got back to me promptly and sent me a new file and everything is good! :) Very happy with the service. Now I just need to get it notarized by everyone lol.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Suggest a hard copy of the subject NFA transfer be on or about you, when out and about with the subject NFA stuff. I carry personal NFA stuff on duty, and have the appropriate paper on board... while on duty. Do I HAVE to? From a practical sense, no. From a, it's the way it should be done,..yes.

The computer/cell phone/cloud stuff is cool. But not so cool when the LEO you may have contact with, isn't impressed with you fumbling with your smartphone, that can't be read in the sun, and they have no interest in "holding" it to "see".

Carry a paper copy of your transfer documentation with you.

Pro note.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

+1 on pro note. I went to fedex & had them put all my stamps on 1 page (front & back & in color)