How much suppressor is needed to act as a quiet brake?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Endorphin

How much suppressor is needed to act as a quiet brake?

Post by Endorphin »

Looking for recoil reduction, but without the blast. Not hearing safe.

For 6.5 Creedmoor, the best I've found so far is: https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30pss

It's short and light, which are the primary concerns... but should I be looking for a can that mounts over a brake to get better recoil reduction? Is the recoil reduction a function of the can's size?

Preferably, I'd love a titanium reflex can that's way thicker and extends less past the barrel (like a light Ops Inc), but everyone seems to make them skinny and long.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: How much suppressor is needed to act as a quiet brake?

Post by curtistactical »

A brake mount suppressor will have the same recoil reduction as a direct thread but will be different levels of reduction depending on the manufacturer. It is much easier to gain high levels of suppression with length instead of diameter, extra volume does not make up for length hence the reason for long skinny suppressors. I have never been a fan of reflex suppressors but to each his own, I just run a shorter barrel on the host to make up for the length of the suppressor.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: How much suppressor is needed to act as a quiet brake?

Post by Conqueror »

A brake mount will reduce recoil on its own but is not nearly as effective when it's inside the suppressor. In other words, don't commit to a brake-mounted can because you think it will reduce recoil better, it really won't.

If weight is important to you the TBAC you linked is probably the best around. You could also consider the Surefire SOCOM 762 Mini, which is a bit heavier and longer but that might help mitigate recoil better, and it is also made of Inconel which is substantially more durable than the titanium used in TBAC cans (depending on your style of use).
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]