Suppressing my Glocks. Would a 45 can be better?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Suppressing my Glocks. Would a 45 can be better?

Post by Kip42 »

Would a .45 ACP can have less chance of a baffle strike on a .40 and 9mm than the smaller caliber cans? I'm ready to order a Tirant .45 to run on my Glock 19,23,27,30, 21, and 20. Is there an adapter for running a larger can on a smaller caliber?

What barrels have a factory fast twist barrel option? I'm looking for the most reliable glock threaded barrels that won't cause baffle strikes.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Suppressing my Glocks. Would a 45 can be better?

Post by RPM509 »

The larger bore of a 45 can would indeed reduce the already very unlikely chance of a baffle strike.
If you only plan on shooting 9mm through it, a 9mm dedicated can, properly mounted on quality
host/barrel/piston, and maintained, will also significantly reduce or eliminate the chance of a baffle
strike.

If you plan on shooting 45, 40 and 9mm, get the 45 can.

Isn't Glock offering factory threaded barrels now?
Storm Lake and a slew of others I think are as well.

I think the only time you're going to get a baffle strike is if something isn't 'right'
or something is damaged or installed/used improperly. These deficiencies can all be checked,
corrected or prevented using common sense, staying alert and maintaining suppressor safety protocols.

ETA: I should add, 'better' is subjective. Shooting 9mm through a larger bore 45 can will suppress just fine, for most it will sound 'deeper'
than shooting the same round through a 9mm can. But if you measured the dB, it would probably be slightly louder given all else being equal. To most ears though, the sound would be very similar (shooting sub-sonic loads) and really not a noticeable difference. For me, if I was in your shoes, I would get a quality 45 can so I could shoot all those calibers, but you will get better performance having dedicated caliber cans for each caliber, keeping those bores tight, capturing/controlling the gases.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Ok cool I think i'm going to go with a .45 can then.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Consider the Octane 45 over the Tirant if you haven't committed yet.

More durable stainless steel baffles. Better mounting options. Easier to take apart and clean also.
skierjt

Post by skierjt »

As a tirant-45 owner and AAC fan, I can say with 100% confidence that you will enjoy the Octane more. I regret not considering it when purchasing my tirant. Cheaper, easier to clean, practically just as quiet (you can hardly tell when shot side by side), 3 lug capable, same weight, same length, piston can take apart the end cap. I based my decision solely off of what is the absolute quietest can, and although the tirant holds that title, half a db isn't worth all the benefits the octane offers. I've spent too much time pounding baffles out of my tirant with a mallet and a wooden rod because they lock up so tight to the tube after only a couple hundred rounds. I've even had to tap the tube over the baffles to reassemble a perfectly cleaned tube and set of baffles.

That being said, the tirant is sick. But just put the octane on your radar before you make up your mind.