solvent trap

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

NeFaRiOuS_ArMz

solvent trap

Post by NeFaRiOuS_ArMz »

Just wondering if anyone has used a SD Tactical Arms or Preppers Discount Maguire solvent traps as "silencers" an do they really work an worth the money.. I kind of wanted to try it out but.. Idk. It would be just my luck that solvent trap blew up in my face on some freak accident s--t. LoL but it still seems pretty cool.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: solvent trap

Post by jdasilva »

I'm sure it would be fine. It's usually the baffles that get messed up not the tube.

I don't think it would be very durable but since you would be the manufacturer, you could just replace the internals as they wear out.

Make sure you file a form 1 prior to purchasing those parts.

Best of luck
NeFaRiOuS_ArMz

Post by NeFaRiOuS_ArMz »

Even if I just use it as what they sell it as. A solvent trap?
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

NeFaRiOuS_ArMz wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used a SD Tactical Arms or Preppers Discount Maguire solvent traps as "silencers" an do they really work an worth the money.. I kind of wanted to try it out but.. Idk. It would be just my luck that solvent trap blew up in my face on some freak accident s--t. LoL but it still seems pretty cool.

I would recommend against anything involved with a silencer thinly veiled as a solvent trap.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

jdasilva wrote: ... you could just replace the internals as they wear out....
If you make it into a legal silencer by applying for, and waiting to get, an approved Form 1; you CAN NOT "just replace the internals". The only legal way to replace worn parts in a Form 1 silencer is to have a FFL 07/02 do the work.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

:lol: Your not going to get anyone on here to tell you to illegally use a solvent trap as a suppressor so give up on that one. Everyone here that I know does things the legal way. If you want a suppressor buy a suppressor not a solvent trap.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I'd not touch one of those things! No one needs complications like that ...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jdasilva wrote:...but since you would be the manufacturer, you could just replace the internals as they wear out.
Completely WRONG.

You are the MAKER and a MAKER can NOT replace silencer parts, only 07/02's can replace silencer parts.

Buy a real can or make one yourself from raw materials.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Suggested Raw Materials?:

<< http://www.grainger.com/product/MUELLER ... oint-3GUP3 >> :)

And it shoots around corners.
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

I feel like this would not make a very effective suppressor, and the life span will be ridiculously short.

These oil filters were never meant to handle the pressures generated by the discharge of a firearm, they can probably handle .22, but when you can get a .22lr can for $200 (+tax) that will last you MANY years, why would you pay money for, not to mention risk your safety, on something like this?

These are meant for people who are intending on breaking the law. First, if I were the ATF I would keep and eye on people who sold or possibly bought one of these "solvent trap adapters". Secondly, if you were really planning on doing something like this, why would you post about it on an online forum?

The price may seem quite encouraging at first, but when you factor in the 10 years federal prison, court cost, and multiple thousand dollar fines (plus possible medical bills) the price increases way beyond that which you would pay to just get and use a suppressor legally.
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

jdasilva wrote:I'm sure it would be fine. It's usually the baffles that get messed up not the tube.

I don't think it would be very durable but since you would be the manufacturer, you could just replace the internals as they wear out.

Make sure you file a form 1 prior to purchasing those parts.

Best of luck
You should only follow this person's advice if you enjoy the thought of 15 years in federal prison.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
tcba_joe
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcba_joe »

dark2023 wrote:I feel like this would not make a very effective suppressor, and the life span will be ridiculously short.

These oil filters were never meant to handle the pressures generated by the discharge of a firearm, they can probably handle .22, but when you can get a .22lr can for $200 (+tax) that will last you MANY years, why would you pay money for, not to mention risk your safety, on something like this?

These are meant for people who are intending on breaking the law. First, if I were the ATF I would keep and eye on people who sold or possibly bought one of these "solvent trap adapters". Secondly, if you were really planning on doing something like this, why would you post about it on an online forum?

The price may seem quite encouraging at first, but when you factor in the 10 years federal prison, court cost, and multiple thousand dollar fines (plus possible medical bills) the price increases way beyond that which you would pay to just get and use a suppressor legally.
I don't believe the OP is asking about the gun to oil filter adapters.

There are companies selling parts that make up the endcaps and tube for suppressors for Form 1 builders. These require the maker to drill the endcaps and make their own baffles. According to the guys building these cans they've been impressed with the performance, especially for the price. In the end, if you build a form 1 can and don't like the internals it can be recored by an SOT. You'll still come out reasonably priced.

There's been a few threads on ARFCOM about building Form 1 cans using these parts.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/43465 ... hread.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/43340 ... ssor_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/43432 ... _____.html
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Sorry for putting out incorrect info. I don't even see the point in building one then.