suppressor and muzzle brake on same gun

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

suppressor and muzzle brake on same gun

Post by hardcase »

I can't seem to get my head around how this works. Any advice appreciated.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: suppressor and muzzle brake on same gun

Post by Wicked »

In most cases, the brake or flash hider is designed to work with the suppressor and attaches (threads on) to the barrel with threads. It stays on the rifle. The suppressor is designed to mount on the brake/hider with threads or various other methods but will not screw directly onto a threaded barrel. The brake/hider is now an integral part of the suppressor when it is attached, and continues to function inside the can.

The suppressor won't attach to another rifle unless it has the same type of mount.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Wicked wrote: The brake/hider is now an integral part of the suppressor when it is attached, and continues to function inside the can.
This is the part that is confusing to me. I have a couple cans with flash hiders that are integral to the adapters for the cans. For a brake, I thought they were dependent on a certain amount of back blast. If the brake was inside the can, I can't see how it would work.

I have a .308 that I'd love to get a brake for but not if it wouldn't be useful if inside the can. Other online sources say muzzle brakes are very noisy. My ears are already shot from no hearing protection from dove hunting in my younger days.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Any brake is going to be more effective at reducing recoil without the can on it. Yes, it's louder without the can, as it redirects gasses to the side. It still does work somewhat the same way when inside the suppressor, although it's now considerably choked off.

The main purpose of using a brake in conjunction with a suppressor is that it acts as a sacrificial blast baffle, taking the brunt of the hot plasma gasses - therefore preserving the life of the baffles inside the can. Replacing a muzzle brake is cheap and doesn't cost a stamp.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

A silencer is also a brake and flash hider itself. The muzzle brake is just a mount for the can.

Not sure about any additive effects with a brake inside a can.
hzhardy

Post by hzhardy »

It does nothing when using the can. It is meant to reduce recoil when the firearm is shot unsuppressed.
uisnoisy

Post by uisnoisy »

"Wicked"
Nice avatar mate
I had mine laser engraved on the magwell of my 300BLK SBR.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Wicked clicks "LIKE" button.