7.62 thread on assistance.....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

John4045
Silent Operator

7.62 thread on assistance.....

Post by John4045 »

Ok, I'm looking at adding a thread .30 cal to the family. I was debating between the AAC 300-TM and the Harvester. Just looking for something for my Rem 700. I don't mind swapping cans, but it's nice not too. :mrgreen:

I can get both locally for a great deal. My local dealers can match/beat any online price...of course that would be factoring in the transfer fee as well. I'd prefer to buy locally as I like support my local NFA dealers as it is their "side" job and I don't have to wait for the Form 3.

Do you feel that the 300-TM adds enough value to justify the price versus the Harvester? I'm factoring in that $200 AAC promo. I know it's not a "rebate".
Is the modular thread adapters that the Harvester offers worth it?
Titanium versus Aluminum? Big deal.....or much ado about nothing?
Does the brake on the Harvester make it louder?

I have not had the chance to shoot either, but I have realistic expectations set and probably won't be disappointed by either. Just checking in with you guys to get some feedback.

Thanks!
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7.62 thread on assistance.....

Post by RJT »

Haven't shot a TM, but have a Harvester on a form4 after getting to demo one. I can't say if the Anchor Brake makes any difference when relating to sound or recoil though. Would be cool if it was removable, just to see if there is a difference. I'm going to be using it when I hunt on foot during the rut. If weight isn't a factor, check out the Cyclone. Suppression and accuracy is outstanding.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

It depends how hard you might run it.

The harvester is not a hard-use can, it's SUPER lightweight and is really best on slow fire hunting rifles (what it was designed for).

The 300-TM is a thread mount MK13-SD which was designed for and is in use by the MIL and should prove more robust.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I have a 300TM and I really like it. On my particular rifle, the POI shift was so great that I can't shoot it without the can. It isn't a big deal since I don't shoot it without the can anyway.

The Harvester is an impressive can, I haven't seen one yet, but the local shop has one on order so I'll get to soon.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

All very good points, thank you very much.

I really didn't think about the Harvester wasn't a hard use can versus the 300-TM, but a very valid point. My one hesitation was the Harvester being Aluminum and you just never know in the future if I were to use it on a semi-auto versus the bolt gun it was purchased for. I've seen the videos and feedback saying that it should be good to go for rapid fire, but I'd rather not if possible. There are better alternatives for that.

I thought I had all the pros and cons covered, but the like most of us, we need that extra bit of assurance we're making the best decision possible. Thank you again.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

300-TM is all about the titanium. And boy you're really paying for that. You're also stuck to just one thread pattern, unless you use adapters... which is generally ill advised, especially for precision setups.

Harvester is just as durable with its stainless steel baffles. But you also have the flexibility of multiple thread mounts. It also has a smaller size/weight profile. And to top it off you get a fancy looking brake (although its impact is probably minimal).