.22 Hornet barrel length

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dymailbox

.22 Hornet barrel length

Post by dymailbox »

I'm getting ready to order a fast twist .22 hornet Encore barrel from MGM. Any advice on barrel length?

I was thinking of going with an 8"-10" barrel on an SBRd frame. Any reason not to go that short?

Thanks,

-- DY
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22 Hornet barrel length

Post by curtistactical »

What twist rate are you getting? What bullet weight do you plan on using? I like the hornet and the fast twist barrel caught my attention. I have a 22-250 with a 1-7.7 twist Krieger barrel that shots 90gr VLD's. I like experimenting with heavy for caliber loads.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
dymailbox

Post by dymailbox »

I'll be getting it in 1:7 twist. The lightest bullets I'll likely shoot are 62 grain SS109 pulldowns. Most of what I'll shoot are 70 gr + SMKs.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

That sounds cool. You should be fine with the short barrel at those bullet weights, the heavier the bullet the better it reacts to the shorter barrel in my experience with the calibers I have played with on sbr's. That might be a real cool 77gr sub sonic load gun. I am pretty sure the 77's would still stabilize in a 1-7 at sub sonic velocity.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

so are you shooting the hornet with subs? any other info would be appreciated. I've got a 77/22H and a contender barrel in 22h. Never really even considered trying to make subs for the hornet. I just figured a can would be nice for not having to wear ear protection if I happen to be shooting it.. :)
dymailbox

Post by dymailbox »

Yes - I'll be shooting suppressed subs exclusively. I should have the barrel by Chistmas and will share my experience as I start working up loads.
HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotGuns »

I started out with a 20" barrel. It was a 1/7 twist barrel blank that I got from Green Mountain for 60 bucks and it shot great.

I settled on 69 grain bullets and Red Dot. I eventually cut the barrel back to 16"....with a 6" can on it I just didn't need the extra 4" of barrel.

Its very quiet.
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

i just did a quick search and it looks like Green is the only one doing custom twist barrels for the contender/encore frames. My Ruger 77 is 1:14 but my other concern is I am assuming loading a heavy bullet (65+gr) is it going to be very long OAL and probably wouldn't work in the 77/22h rotary magazine. I think the max you can load in the rotary magazine is 1.8" or so.