Shroud improvement suggestion

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.
shooter3

Shroud improvement suggestion

Post by shooter3 »

Hello,

I'd like to make my .22 30ft/lbs PCP air rifle a little bit less noisy. This is my project:

Is there any sense in adding some kind of a material not in front of the muzzle but in the back area, near venting holes? What is your experience and suggestions?

Thanks!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shroud improvement suggestion

Post by a_canadian »

Well I don't know whether some sort of absorptive material might help with suppression, but can say that in my experiments along those lines a better baffle design is vastly superior to steel wool or polyester pads for this purpose. More mechanically stable too. I'd suggest looking into clipped cone type baffles, or better yet cross-bore vented K baffles. The baffles I'm seeing here look rather close to simple washers in terms of efficiency. If you are committed to this something close to this design, I'd suggest adding a more funnel like face to the first baffle and to the front cap. A PCP rifle of that power makes a heck of a loud bang. You'll need every trick in the book to suppress it successfully.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I would say no to adding material or complicated baffle designs. It's a simple gas flow coming out of the PCP it's not the same as burning powder from an actual firearm.

I have a Benjamin Marauder suppressed PCP, it is mouse fart quiet even when it's pumping pellets out at 1000+ fps and the baffles from that gun look like fugly little black plastic shot glasses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Any sound you hear is mostly the PCP action noise itself isn't it?

I know someone with a Talon SS who even replaced the stock shroud with a dedicated Talon "can" from overseas.

From shooting it myself, I didn't notice much difference (if at all) between the shroud and the can. It was all action noise.

Only dialing down the air pressure made any big difference. And even then, my 10/22 with Sparrow is actually quieter.
And at full power PCP, my suppressed 300 BLK Handi Rifle was still just as quiet.
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Not much action noise on those, hammer dropping on a valve. Although there are some mods to make that even quieter.