Tikka 3+1, .308, having barrel threaded

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Tikka 3+1, .308, having barrel threaded

Post by hardcase »

I've had my eye on one of these at a local gun shop for a few months. I'm a lefty and this rifle is a lefty, probably why it is still there.

I have a YHM Phantom can for my other .308 with a 5/8x24 adapter. I have a 1/2 adapter for this same can for my 5.56 AR.

I think a gunsmith can machine out the hole in the 1/2 adapter to allow a .308 bullet to pass through.

Is there enough metal on the Tikka .308 barrel to thread? I suspect other makes of rifle, Remington, Mossberg, etc., to small for 5/8 adapters would have this same problem.

Anyone have these smaller, hunting type barrels threaded?
Sthncmft

Re: Tikka 3+1, .308, having barrel threaded

Post by Sthncmft »

My local GS cut my sporter weight Remington 700 barrel back to 20 inches from 22 inches and threaded it 5/8x24 for my specwar. I didn't think there was enough barrel, but he did it while I watched w/o any problems. Probably should call your gunsmith and give him the outside diameter measurements. He should be able to tell you ahead of time if there is enough meat to thread the barrel. Hope that helps.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Just get another 5/8x24 adaptor for the Tikka. I had 2 Sako Grey Wolfs threaded, a 7mm & 300win mag and there was enough to thread without cutting off any of the bbl.. Bouth were for the YHM Phantom 30cal.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

The stainless T3 Lite? This summer I bought that very same rifle, even left handed. Get it, you will not regret it. As a sub-$800 sporter weight hunting rig, I don't think anything else even touches it. I will own more Tikka rifles.

Replace the recoil pad with one from Tikka Performance and get the tuning/pillar bed kit from Lumley Arms. The supplied stock 1" rings are OK, but consider the picatinney rail and better rings. Stock trigger is great.

That said, I've considered threading this rifle and decided not to do it. Some of the euro guys on snipershide have threaded their rifles, but they use very light weight cans. If I were going that direction, I'd probably cut the barrel way back to 16 or 18" to stiffen it and get some more meat at the threads. And I probably wouldn't do it unless my Phantom was the Titanium Phantom .30 ULT (Ultra-Light Tactical). The standard SS Phantom is a real big heavy bastage at like 25oz. The reason to get this rifle is because its a light weight hunter and hanging a 1.5lb can off the end defeats the purpose in my opinion.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Great info!!

This was the first Tikka I've ever held and worked the action. I was impressed. I reload and enjoy bench shooting, probably do more so than hunting. Agree about the club of a can but the weight isn't so bad off a bi-pod. I'd leave it off hunting. The weight does help soften recoil for multiple shots.

In a perfect world, I'd just get two different rifles for each purpose. My gun safe is already over crowded and family obligations (wife especially) limit my gun purchases somewhat, usually one a year. I really hate to sell any of my guns, i.e. rationalize a new purchase, even if one isn't a favorite.

I'll probably take my calipers into the dealer, measure at a few places on the distal barrel, then talk to my gunsmith.

I have the YHM flash-hider/adapter that I move from rifle to rifle for both 1/2" and 5/8" threaded barrels. I could get by for now without another adapter.

This was my first suppressor. I've learned since then. The club is adequate, and tough but....A bit of advice to those contemplating a rifle can, spend the extra money for a lighter, top line can. Once you buy a can, it is much harder to trade around than with a firearm.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

1. Buy T3 (seriously, great rifles).
2. Chop to 16".
3. Apply suppressor of choice.
4. Enjoy.

16" will get you anything within reasonable hunting range and will still be compact with something like a Cyclone K.

A T3 in .223 and SBR'ed to 12.5" is still on my Want List. With a 1:7 rebarrel it should be a laser beam inside 500yds with 80gr Amax reloads. And would be deadly on deer within 150yds or so.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

I have cut my Tikka's back to close to 20", and my current can weighs in at 32 oz's.

up till sitting in a deer stand and have critters come out at very close ranges, I had no issues.

Look at caliber vrs velocity loss and / or performance before you decide to cut back and make a SBR.

for the average SBR... there are a lot of other choices.

my few pennies worth of experience

Chris
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

I'm having one done now (T3 .308), a sporter weight barrel (even cut to 16.5") is not big enough for 5/8-24 TPI threads.
I have an AAC and they had a 9/16-24TPI flash hider that will work.

A smaller caliber (.243 or .223) would allow a 1/2-28 TPI thead size. I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy cutting a 1/2-28 on a .308 bore size....but it could be done.