Apply now or wait for e-file to restart?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Gear Dog

Apply now or wait for e-file to restart?

Post by Gear Dog »

Would like to get a 22 suppressor. I see on silencershop the wait time for Form 4 paper trusts is 7 months. Wondering if I should wait for ATF E-file to come back rather than tie up money for so long going the paper route. Or maybe I get an individual Form 4, with under two months approval, and then get a trust later to add my wife. Any recommendations? Newbie here and sorry if I'm dense.

http://www.silencershop.com/support/atf-wait-times/

Link below says e-file could restart as soon as Jan 2015, but could take until second quarter of 2015

http://www.shopdefensor.com/blog/atf-up ... ppressors/
ShadesFox

Re: Apply now or wait for e-file to restart?

Post by ShadesFox »

I'm seeing 10 months for individuals? You maybe mixed up with form 3s. Silencer shop also has an estimate of Q2 or Q3 for eforms.
I would form 4 by paper as soon as the can was in my dealer's hands. Unless eforms was already up. I could have had my .223 can by now if I had not given eforms a few weeks to come back up. When my .30 can shows up I'm paper filing as soon as it gets there (Monday according to ups.)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

You should most definitely wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFLQnQGhmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Fill out the paperwork and get it done today. You can set up a trust in 10 minutes.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Tie up money for so long? Aren't you tieing up the same money forever anyway? The way some of you guys look at things just baffles me...
hzhardy

Post by hzhardy »

Wait to long and you might not like the changes up the road with 41p.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Apply now! Paper forms are starting to average about 4 months (from check cashed date) at the moment. eForms 2.0 won't be up and running until well into next year.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

My own dealer has had several Form 4s for suppressors come in in 4 months approved. I was facing the same dilema as you but I figured by the time the eForm system is actually up again the forms could very well of been approved or spending the same amount of time being approved. So, I filed for a Saker 762 last week.
pdkillr

Post by pdkillr »

They were getting approved TOOO fast so why do you think it got shut down. Current administration ??? duh
uisnoisy

Post by uisnoisy »

pdkillr wrote:They were getting approved TOOO fast so why do you think it got shut down. Current administration ??? duh
Same computer geniuses that did the gubmnt heath website?
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Bought from S Shop in March and transferred to local shop who sent my form 4 off in May. Called ATF this AM. Approved Nov. 18th. ATF allows 30 days to send stamps to dealer. Not there yet.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Kind of partial to a real stamp vs an electronic one regardless of wait times.....
My last form 4 was mailed out the end of May, approved the end of September, received the beginning of October.
My last form 1 was mailed out the end of May, approved the end of August, received the beginning of September.
Wait times aren't too bad at all right now.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

well for me this my first post. it took a little over a month for the form 3 for the dealer and today im submitting my form 4. Might as well wait for the paper work to go through then wait for form 4 on eforms to come back up next in the second quarter. by that time hopfully I'll have my stamp and work on my pistol suppressor. I look at it as all the time you could have waited while your stamp was going through you. Instead you waited for eforms and its been a year since.

whats black and heavy and nine inches long... 8)

SPECWAR 7.62
HonEur12

Post by HonEur12 »

doubloon wrote:You should most definitely wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFLQnQGhmo
I have a buddy, who when I sent my first Forms in June of 2011, said this exact same thing at the time and continues to say "I'd love a supressor, I just can't see myself having money tied up for so long."

Suits him well I suppose. I am currently waiting on Stamp #6.
Gear Dog

Post by Gear Dog »

[quote="Gear Dog"]Would like to get a 22 suppressor. I see on silencershop the wait time for Form 4 paper trusts is 7 months. Wondering if I should wait for ATF E-file to come back rather than tie up money for so long going the paper route. Or maybe I get an individual Form 4, with under two months approval, and then get a trust later to add my wife. Any recommendations? Newbie here and sorry if I'm dense.

Link below says e-file could restart as soon as Jan 2015, but could take until second quarter of 2015

http://www.shopdefensor.com/blog/atf-up ... ppressors/[/quote

Useful responses! Thanks. I called Silencershop to get their input, too. The guy who answered said it is a good question. A few months ago he would have said to submit the paper forms. But now he said there is an argument for waiting since the online system could be up and running in January. However, he said he tends to be pessimistic about this sort of thing and believes it could take much longer to roll out and for the system to work consistently. His opinion was to submit the paper forms rather than wait.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

So, he's saying the same thing all the rest of us are saying....
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

So the wait times are back to 4 to 5 months?

I've not been on here for a while, but last I checked it was around 12 months. I have a shotgun, and a couple rifles I'd like to short barrel. Longest I've ever waited was 5 months back a couple years ago.
NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

Wait times are about 4-5 months from what I'm seeing, and you can E file with a trust for form 1s right now, and its 20-40 days. I would absolutely file ASAP, no matter the system. Don't wait on E file. By the time E file comes up, you will most likely have your stamp, or at least be close to getting it.
Nick
Customer service at Advanced Armament Corporation
[email protected]
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

NickAAC wrote:Wait times are about 4-5 months from what I'm seeing, and you can E file with a trust for form 1s right now, and its 20-40 days. I would absolutely file ASAP, no matter the system. Don't wait on E file. By the time E file comes up, you will most likely have your stamp, or at least be close to getting it.

Thanks!
ex95B10

Post by ex95B10 »

Ash wrote:Kind of partial to a real stamp vs an electronic one regardless of wait times.....
I much prefer the real stamp as compared to the PDF file version. :D
"Weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Gear Dog wrote:Would like to get a 22 suppressor. I see on silencershop the wait time for Form 4 paper trusts is 7 months. Wondering if I should wait for ATF E-file to come back rather than tie up money for so long going the paper route. Or maybe I get an individual Form 4, with under two months approval, and then get a trust later to add my wife. Any recommendations? Newbie here and sorry if I'm dense.

http://www.shopdefensor.com/blog/atf-up ... ppressors/

I may be wrong, but if you individual file 1st, then create a trust, you will have to form 4 it to the trust. That would be another 200.00.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Vividia

Post by Vividia »

In my very humble opinion if you want to do something, just get started.

I just got my stamp on an Octane, done on a trust, paper F4. The check cashed by the ATF on July 22. That's 4 months 17 days, or 140 counted days. If you wait until e-file, and BEST case scenario its up in January, and it takes 40 days, then you have something like 70-90 days to wait from now. That's IF the system comes up in January. And when was the last time the government did anything at the earliest projected date for completion?

On my last stamp, done on the same trust but e-filed March 11, I got the stamp on July 8. Right at 4 months, and not so different than the paper one just done.

Two dollars in the pocket is a sure thing and two dollars at the window is a maybe. If you file the paper F4 now, you know it's in the system, a sure thing, and you aren't waiting on a maybe.

Just my .02
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

I would just paper file your forms I don't think Eforms 2.0 will be up anytime soon. I filed for my AAC Ti-Rant on June 1 and received my form 4 on December 3. Seems like they are getting back into there groove at the ATF.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

My latest form 4 was 4 months door to door, got it back a couple weeks ago. Now if I can just scrounge some cents for another rifle can to get started on that form :lol:
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Saker 762 paper F4. Check cashed 8/14. Approved 12/2 :shock:

Recent approvals have been under 4 months now! Who needs eforms!? :mrgreen: