Can for FN Five-Seven

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Gear Dog

Can for FN Five-Seven

Post by Gear Dog »

New owner of FN Five-Seven and intend to have the barrel extended and threaded by Tornado technologies. Trying to decide on a suppressor and looking for input. What would you recommend?

MY SYNOPSIS: The Gemtech SFN57 may be the best performer, with the best dimensions and no need for a thread adaptor, but you can’t dissemble it. Possibly the next quietest model of those with published tests is the Tactical Solutions Axiom, and it is also lighter than the Sparrow or the Spectre II. Leaning towards the Axiom, but I’m open to suggestions, including other brands and models if there is sound test data.

INTENDED USE: Home defense on first floor of our house to preserve hearing and reduce muzzle flash. Short and light suppressors may help with maneuverability around corners. Also will target shoot to build experience and have fun, possibly on a M&P 22lr as well as the Five Seven.

Thanks and hope the rest of this long post is helpful to others looking for similar summaries of available data

-------------------

TESTED SUPPRESSORS & DIMENSIONS

So far this is the data I’ve turned up. These are suppressors in production with sound tests published I could find. All have about a 1” diameter, except for the Gemtech which is 1.25"

Silencerco Spectre II 6” long 6 oz ($295 at Silencershop)
Tactical Solutions Axiom 5.95” long 6 oz ($304 at Silencershop)
Silencerco Sparrow 5” long 6.5 oz ($380 at Silencershop)
Gemtech SFN57 5.8” long 5.2 oz ($511 at Impact Guns) – Sealed can

POLLS
A poll in an FN forum which does not include the Axiom (too new?).
Sparrow 15 votes
SFN57 8
Spectre II 4
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven ... -help.html

SOUND TESTS
* Differences in testing and/or ammo appear to make major differences in measured results. For example, the Sparrow is tested by two different sources below with different outcomes. The first five-shot average reductions are 30.88 db with SS197 vs 24.52 db with unspecified ammo.

Silencerco

SS197 (10 shots)
Unsuppressed Average 161.96 db

SS Sparrow - Dry
First Shot 132.55 (29.41 db reduction)
Best (Shot 6) 130.51 (32.24 db reduction)
Average (10 shots) 130.67 (31.36 db reduction)

SS Sparrow – Wet
First Shot 124.72 (37.24 db reduction)
Best (Shot 2) 123.57 (38.39 db reduction)
Average (Shots 1-6) 125.54 (36.42 db reduction)
Average (10) 127.67 (34.29 db reduction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffzm8kDKLQM

Silencershop

Std Velocity? (5 shots)
Unsuppressed Average 160.8 db

Silencerco SS Sparrow - Dry
First Shot 137.8 (23.2 db reduction)
Best (shot 2) 133.7 (26.6 db reduction)
Average (5 shots) 136.24 (24.52 db reduction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3_QolyetM

Silencerco Spectre II - Dry
First Shot 130.2 (30.8 db reduction)
Best (shot 1) 130.2 (30.8 db reduction)
Average (5) 132.08 (28.68 db reduction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZK5LvbPvCk

Tactical Solutions Axiom - Dry
First Shot 135.3 (25.7 db reduction)
Best (Shot 5) 129.8 db (31 db reduction)
Average (5) 131.72 (29.04 db reduction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_p3HrwZR4

-----------
NFA Talk also has test results but the only one of the above models is the Gemtech.

SS195 ammo (11 shots)

Unsuppressed Average 163.6 db

First Shot 136.2 db (27.4 db reduction)
Best (shot 2, 4) 129.0 (34.6 db reduction)
Average (11-First) 130.44 db (33.16 db reduction)
Average (11) 130.96 db (32.64 db reduction)

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=716
http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=745
Last edited by Gear Dog on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can for FN Five-Seven

Post by laxguy59 »

IIRC silencerco told my friend that if he planned to do more usage on his 5.7 that they recommended the Spectre II. It does tone it down nicely.
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Is this your first can? if it is, out of the ones you've suggested I'd recommend getting the one that is the quietest. Your first can you get should be versatile and quite. You won't be completely satisfied if it isn't either. I have no experience with the Gemtech or the Sparrow, but I do own a Spectre II that I've had in my possession for the past 2 months. I've only shot 22 through it but I can say it is a nice can. Between all of those, I don't think you'll notice the weight or length difference at all.

However, if there is only 2 to 3 decibels difference between the three cans I don't thing you will notice the volume difference. For example, I just recently picked up my Octane 45 and compared it too my Tirant 9 I've had since last December. The Tirant is well seasoned and the Octane has only been shot twice. My Kimber 45 hasn't been threaded yet, so I've only shot my Octane 45 on my M&P9. I know from extensive research the Tirant 9 should be at least 2 or 4 decibels quieter than the Octane 45 (using the same 9mm gun and ammo) but I can't tell the difference between the two. The Octane only has a slight advantage in volume, but it has a much bigger bore and is just starting to get a good coat of carbon on the baffles. With that being said, I'd still get the better performing can. Even though it may be inaudible to tell the difference, you still are getting 2-4 more decibels of protection. Inside a house I would bet that extra protection is even more important because of the echo effect in side a dwelling.

Another can I would also consider would be to get a Saker 556 or Saker 556 K. While it would be bulky and heavy for a Five-seven pistol, it would be a better performing can than those others. It would also give you the option of using a full sized 556 rifle as a home defense gun, which is my personal preference for home defense. You would loose the ability to shoot 22lr, but gain the ability to use a more effect arm than a five-seven pistol (or PS90 carbine for that matter). I know a lot of people will point out the pistol is more manageable and maneuverable; However, the accuracy, speed (between follow up shots), and effectiveness of a 556 more than makes up for the size disadvantage in my opinion. The disadvantages of the Saker on the Five-seven is that you might need taller sights or to install an RMR. It will also cost you about 3-4 times more than a Spectre (not including the direct thread mount for use on your Five-seven; that's an extra $140-$155).

In summary, of the three you asked about I'd recommend the Spectre II. However, I'd also recommend you consider the Saker 556 because it would give you the option mount it on a more effect 556 carbine. Food for though, just giving you something to think about.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I only have experience with the Spectre II and it is an awesome can. 5.7 is still pretty loud though.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jehu

Post by jehu »

Elite Iron makes a dedicated 5.7 can. I have 4 of their cans and they are top notch.
ewetstone

Post by ewetstone »

I am planning on acquiring a Five-Seven soon.

Are threaded barrels available for it or do I also have to have one made?
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
laissez-faire.
Gear Dog

Post by Gear Dog »

ewetstone wrote:I am planning on acquiring a Five-Seven soon.

Ha, I'm a total noob but I think I can answer this one.

You can either have your factory barrel extended and threaded by Tornado Technologies.
http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html

Or you can buy a threaded barrel from EFK Dragon or Jarvis.
http://www.efkfiredragon.com/fnp-and-fi ... eaded.html
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/t ... fault.aspx

In either case, you will end up with threading (10mm x 1) that requires an adapter to connect most suppressors, adding additional length to the whole thing. I hope I'm wrong about this though, and that a barrel can threaded according to a suppressor standard like 28x1/2.
ewetstone

Post by ewetstone »

Gear Dog wrote:
ewetstone wrote:I am planning on acquiring a Five-Seven soon.

Ha, I'm a total noob but I think I can answer this one.

You can either have your factory barrel extended and threaded by Tornado Technologies.
http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html

Or you can buy a threaded barrel from EFK Dragon or Jarvis.
http://www.efkfiredragon.com/fnp-and-fi ... eaded.html
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/t ... fault.aspx

In either case, you will end up with threading (10mm x 1) that requires an adapter to connect most suppressors, adding additional length to the whole thing. I hope I'm wrong about this though, and that a barrel can threaded according to a suppressor standard like 28x1/2.
Thanx for the info.

At the moment I am trying to find a suppressor that fits both a 9mm and a 10mm which will be for a Glock 17 and a colt Delta Elite.

The five Seven will come after those.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
laissez-faire.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Check out our website curtistactical.com, we make a dedicated 5.7 suppressor the ST57FA that is perfect for what you are looking for. I was not going to chime in on this because we are right in the middle of rebuilding our shop but we will be back up and running in a couple of months so I figured you might like to take a look at ours.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Gear Dog

Post by Gear Dog »

curtistactical wrote:Check out our website curtistactical.com, we make a dedicated 5.7 suppressor the ST57FA that is perfect for what you are looking for. I was not going to chime in on this because we are right in the middle of rebuilding our shop but we will be back up and running in a couple of months so I figured you might like to take a look at ours.
This is interesting in part because I live within driving distance of Lewisburg. What is the db reduction of the can. What is the threading? If I got my 57 barrel threaded would it be possible to test fire one? At the least I may like to attach one to see what the length and weight is like. Thank you.
Gear Dog

Post by Gear Dog »

savagetactical wrote:Is this your first can? if it is, out of the ones you've suggested I'd recommend getting the one that is the quietest. Your first can you get should be versatile and quite. You won't be completely satisfied if it isn't either. I have no experience with the Gemtech or the Sparrow, but I do own a Spectre II that I've had in my possession for the past 2 months. I've only shot 22 through it but I can say it is a nice can. Between all of those, I don't think you'll notice the weight or length difference at all.

However, if there is only 2 to 3 decibels difference between the three cans I don't thing you will notice the volume difference. For example, I just recently picked up my Octane 45 and compared it too my Tirant 9 I've had since last December. The Tirant is well seasoned and the Octane has only been shot twice. My Kimber 45 hasn't been threaded yet, so I've only shot my Octane 45 on my M&P9. I know from extensive research the Tirant 9 should be at least 2 or 4 decibels quieter than the Octane 45 (using the same 9mm gun and ammo) but I can't tell the difference between the two. The Octane only has a slight advantage in volume, but it has a much bigger bore and is just starting to get a good coat of carbon on the baffles. With that being said, I'd still get the better performing can. Even though it may be inaudible to tell the difference, you still are getting 2-4 more decibels of protection. Inside a house I would bet that extra protection is even more important because of the echo effect in side a dwelling.

Another can I would also consider would be to get a Saker 556 or Saker 556 K. While it would be bulky and heavy for a Five-seven pistol, it would be a better performing can than those others. It would also give you the option of using a full sized 556 rifle as a home defense gun, which is my personal preference for home defense. You would loose the ability to shoot 22lr, but gain the ability to use a more effect arm than a five-seven pistol (or PS90 carbine for that matter). I know a lot of people will point out the pistol is more manageable and maneuverable; However, the accuracy, speed (between follow up shots), and effectiveness of a 556 more than makes up for the size disadvantage in my opinion. The disadvantages of the Saker on the Five-seven is that you might need taller sights or to install an RMR. It will also cost you about 3-4 times more than a Spectre (not including the direct thread mount for use on your Five-seven; that's an extra $140-$155).

In summary, of the three you asked about I'd recommend the Spectre II. However, I'd also recommend you consider the Saker 556 because it would give you the option mount it on a more effect 556 carbine. Food for though, just giving you something to think about.
Thanks for taking the time to write all of this. I appreciate your advice on buying a versatile can. Th.e Saker is quite heavy, though
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Gear Dog wrote:
curtistactical wrote:Check out our website curtistactical.com, we make a dedicated 5.7 suppressor the ST57FA that is perfect for what you are looking for. I was not going to chime in on this because we are right in the middle of rebuilding our shop but we will be back up and running in a couple of months so I figured you might like to take a look at ours.
This is interesting in part because I live within driving distance of Lewisburg. What is the db reduction of the can. What is the threading? If I got my 57 barrel threaded would it be possible to test fire one? At the least I may like to attach one to see what the length and weight is like. Thank you.
You are welcome to stop by my place and give one a try. Depending on the ammo you use the 5.7 handgun will run 127db-132db, the can has a 1/2-28 thread. These also work great on 22lr, they will run about 5db lower than a SS Sparrow on a 22lr handgun.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Liberty Suppress

Liberty Suppressors Essence of Liberty for FN Five-Seven

Post by Liberty Suppress »

Liberty Suppressors has our Essence of Liberty suppressor rated for the 5.7x28 and it sounds really good.

http://libertycans.net/rimfire-suppress ... -liberty/
Tim @ Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty Suppressors Essence of Liberty for FN Five-Seven

Post by curtistactical »

Liberty Suppress wrote:Liberty Suppressors has our Essence of Liberty suppressor rated for the 5.7x28 and it sounds really good.

http://libertycans.net/rimfire-suppress ... -liberty/
Tim @ Liberty
Have you guys had a chance to do any metering on the 5.7 handgun and the ps90? Just curious what kind of difference you are seeing between the different barrel lengths.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Gear Dog

Post by Gear Dog »

Updated the original post with more sound test data. Now leaning towards Tactical Solutions Axiom.