I think my dealer sold me an old supressor. What can I do?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Rmag

I think my dealer sold me an old supressor. What can I do?

Post by Rmag »

Back in June of 2014 I purchased a SureFire Mini Monster and I puchased two SF3P-556-1/2-28 flash hiders for my rifles and installed them on my rifles as I awaited the paperwork to process on my supressor.

Today I just came home from my gun dealer with my supressor in hand and I went to install it in my rifles.

There is no index slot on my supressor to mate up with the index lug on my flash hiders; it will not install.

After some research tonight I have come to the realization that I was sold a prior gen silencer. I watched a SureFire YouTube video where they were talking about the new index notch, this was April 2013.

It did not occur to me over a year later in 2014 a dealer would sell me an old model. The supressor also has carbon all over it inside. Are these tested from the factory before boxing?

So...

I want to return this supressor to my dealer and buy the one I thought I was getting. Is this possible? Am I out my tax stamp?
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: I think my dealer sold me an old supressor. What can I do?

Post by MJF1911 »

The tax stamp is tied to the serial number, no returning it without another F4 to your dealer.

You should check with Surefire to see if they will help you out, I bet they will.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You buy mounts from same dealer?
Rmag

Post by Rmag »

Yes, I bought the mounts when I bought the supressor from the same dealer.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Wow! Big morons. Sounds like the clowns across to from me. You in Missouri? Go talk to him. Huge margins on surefire stuff he should be able to help you out if he is decent guy. Probably typical sot with no clue and got confused with all of their offerings for mounts and tons of cans.
Rmag

Post by Rmag »

Does anyone know when SureFire switched to the slot at the mouth of the can vs the index pin inside?

I found this article from May of 2012: http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2012 ... r-socom-2/

Seems like that was when? So my dealer sold me a 2012 model in mid 2014?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Call the dealer. See what he says he can do. The least he could do would be swap out mounts . Find a new dealer for next go around and do a little more home work before laying down cash. Best of luck.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

he probably dealer sampled it. did you not look at it before you bought it?
Rmag

Post by Rmag »

Update:

Went back to the dealer and explained the problem. As I guessed, I was initially offered 3 year old adapters for free to go with the three year old supressor, which I declined.

The dealer then offered to have the supressor transfered back to it, order me the correct supressor, and pay for my new tax stamp.

So they made a $400 mistake in 2 more transfer stamps, but often the quality of a business is measured when a mistake happens what they do about it. I am impressed with them for doing the right thing.

Unfortunately I have to wait another half a year or more, but at least I'll have what I wanted, and it's likely to be kept for the rest of my life. So it's a short term inconvenience for a long term gain.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Glad it worked out. The dealer went far and beyond what some other dealers would've settled for. Personally i'd probably give them a 2nd chance for future business.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Glade this is working out, somewhat for you.

My last cans, I also had a dealer problem. I bought the cans through Silencer Shop. They were forwarded to a local dealer to hold them till my stamps came in. This local dealer, I found out later was a subsidiary of another dealer in another town. Two individuals with different shops, both registered to the head honcho in the other town.

The near shop, the one I dealt with, had a falling out with the head honcho. I went by the near shop one day looking for reloading powder and the doors were lock and a closed, no longer in business sign on the door. I didn't know where my paid for cans were. Took a bit of detective work and a lot of anti-acid but I found my cans in another town.

Since the head honcho felt slighted, he didn't call me when my stamps came in. I checked with ATF, found out my stamps were approved and would be mailed out within 30 days.

At the end of 30 days I called the shop that had them. He said he would be there for a couple hours. Drove 80 something miles to the honcho's shop.

The honcho dealer said the guy I dealt with took my $50.00 transfer fee for each of my two cans and it would take another $50.00 for each of my cans to him to finish the paperwork and for me to get my $100.00 from his former partner. We finally settled on another $50.00 and me buying a pound of Benchmark powder.

Your and my experience is why I look at every silencer deal with a jaundiced eye, double checking details, saving receipts, and try to only deal with people I know in established business. In my described case, they were established but still got complicated.

One reason I won't buy more than $1,000.00 worth of stamped stuff at a time. The chance of getting screwed is higher than with a purchase of a gun.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

^^^ Silencershop Direct? Personally I'd rather visit my local class 3 dealers and always make my own choice based on my observations and interactions with them.

You can learn a lot about how smoothly your NFA process will go just by doing this. I'd never trust some automated process to assign a random dealer to me.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

rimshaker wrote:^^^ Silencershop Direct? Personally I'd rather visit my local class 3 dealers and always make my own choice based on my observations and interactions with them.

You can learn a lot about how smoothly your NFA process will go just by doing this. I'd never trust some automated process to assign a random dealer to me.
If this is in reference to my post, maybe I should clarify a bit.

I bought from Silencer Shop. They had a list of dealers they had dealt with, but not necessarily recommended. The local guy was one I picked from the list and filled out and sent in my Form 4. The closest one to me was the one I picked. I had bought powder from this place but they were not a big shop and I didn't know about this being an extension of one in another town. I live in a rural area. There are not any local stocking dealers.

I don't fault Silencer Shop. In the future, I will do a bit more checking on the stability of any shops. It is a business where dealers come and go. Considering I have to pay money up front, and wait for up to a year, I should have been more prudent.