22 can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

chickenlips

22 can?

Post by chickenlips »

Hello to all. I'm new to this board. So, I have a few cans. Gemtech outback 2, quicksand, liberty mystic. My question is.... gemtech is offering a core upgrade for my old ass outback 2 for $250. Upgrade to the GM22 monocore. Does anyone have any opinions about the GM22? I figure it has to work better than my lead filled outback 2. Best way I guess to salvage that stamp. I am also thinking of getting another 22 can. Something more modern. Maybe a specter 2, or a kodiac tl. Specificaly I want stainless steel for the durability. and price is not a factor for me, considering my old outback 2 was originally 200$ and the recore is 250$. If I look at it that way 450$ for a can that lasts way longer is not unreasonable to me. The can will be used on a savage bolt action rifle almost exclusively. Weight is not an issue to me. Performance is the number 1 factor. So what are some super quiet cans in steel for rifle use?
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 22 can?

Post by speed6 »

I am very happy with my Spectre II. It is an excellent performer, but mainly it's the ease of maintenance and durability that I like. There are lighter and maybe slightly better performing cans out there (probably some k-baffle designs) but I doubt there are many that have the combination of durability, easy of maintenance and performance.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

I would do the upgrade, as it will be a quick turnaround and then pick up a Spectre II or Sparrow (has 1st round pop)...
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Treat the process as though it's a series of steps. Step 1: get the core upgrade. Shoot it, it might well be quiet enough that you'll be satisfied. At the least it might put your question in a different light: "As quiet as this new setup is, is it worth ~$450 for such a minor amount of gain?"

It isn't as though you can't initiate the purchase of a new can at literally any time.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

"Wait n see" certainly is an option. I'm most likely going to re-core that can. In fact I'm sure I will re-core can. What I'm looking for is a little insight into GM22. On the other can subject. I own several threaded 22s. I like toys, and a steel 22 can would be a sweet new toy. In no particular hurry though. The GM22 may be a great can, but it is still aluminum. Also I want to branch out in the variety department. Something other than Gemtech.
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

I thought Gemtech stopped doing recores? I tried at least a year ago and it was not offered or available.
huanab

Post by huanab »

paper9 wrote:I thought Gemtech stopped doing recores? I tried at least a year ago and it was not offered or available.
They did... but now they just recently started again.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

huanab wrote:
paper9 wrote:I thought Gemtech stopped doing recores? I tried at least a year ago and it was not offered or available.
They did... but now they just recently started again.

Yes, I just saw that on their website the other day.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

Gemtech got enough hate mail for stopping jailbreaks that they even mention it in the video. So I will know soon enough. My outback goes in the mail this week.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

AlabamaPaul wrote:I would do the upgrade, as it will be a quick turnaround and then pick up a Spectre II or Sparrow (has 1st round pop)...
The OP asked about rifle cans. The Sparrow does not have FRP on a rifle.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

Thanks for all the responses. I get the sense that there are more Sparrows out there than Liberty Kodiac TLs. Sounds like I cant go wrong with a Sparrow. The two are close enough in price. Is there something weird going on with an o-ring on Silencerco 22 cans where the 1/2x28 threads onto the barrel? Or is that no big deal? I seem to think I read that somewhere once. Maybe it was on an adapter or something. I prefer the looks of the Sparrow to the Kodiac TL. I must admit that I don't like the apperance of the end-cap or the mount on a Specter 2. I know it's a good can from all the reviews but it's a little fugly to my eye. Since rifle use is my primary intent, Sparrow should fit the bill.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Back when I was researching my 22 suppressor purchase it came down between the AAC Element and the Sparrow.

The Element was a smidge quieter and didn't suffer from FRP. But after looking at the Element's optional disassembly tool and making an honest assessment that my day job ain't a ninja assassin hit man, I decided maintenance was more important than a db, and so I went for the Sparrow.

Have celebrated that decision every time it comes time to clean the can.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

chickenlips wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I get the sense that there are more Sparrows out there than Liberty Kodiac TLs. Sounds like I cant go wrong with a Sparrow. The two are close enough in price. Is there something weird going on with an o-ring on Silencerco 22 cans where the 1/2x28 threads onto the barrel? Or is that no big deal? I seem to think I read that somewhere once. Maybe it was on an adapter or something. I prefer the looks of the Sparrow to the Kodiac TL. I must admit that I don't like the apperance of the end-cap or the mount on a Specter 2. I know it's a good can from all the reviews but it's a little fugly to my eye. Since rifle use is my primary intent, Sparrow should fit the bill.
Nothing weird about the internal o-ring for normal pistol 1/2x28 threads (0.400" long). It actually helps seal against carbon fouling since the o-ring sits right on top of the crown.

But on rifles, the 1/2x28 threads are longer at 0.600" or more. Then you would need to use a spacer, otherwise the longer threads will eat into the o-ring.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

O2HeN2 wrote:Back when I was researching my 22 suppressor purchase it came down between the AAC Element and the Sparrow.

The Element was a smidge quieter and didn't suffer from FRP. But after looking at the Element's optional disassembly tool and making an honest assessment that my day job ain't a ninja assassin hit man, I decided maintenance was more important than a db, and so I went for the Sparrow.

Have celebrated that decision every time it comes time to clean the can.

O2
My thoughts exactly. Breaks apart into 5 simple pieces with no tools required, no matter how much carbon/lead fouling there is.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

Well, I have a stack of spacers and shims left over from all the quick mounts I've purchased. And My rifles already have spacers with my current 22 can. Saw a few videos on youtube leading me to believe that a sparrow on a rifle is quieter than an Element. Probably an Element 1 in the video rather than an Element 2. Close enough for me. I have avoided AAC because with so much upheaval in the company management, and they are amidst yet another big move. To the Remington factory property no less. I fear that with such close proximity to the mother ship AAC is likely to lose their personal identity. The last few Remington products I've purchased have left much to be desired. Maybe AAC products are just as good as they have ever been, but Silencerco seems to be doing just fine. All that said.... I think I have made my decision. Sparrow it is.