"Modular" silencers such as Salvo not approved by ATF

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: "Modular" silencers such as Salvo not approved by ATF

Post by Bendersquint »

[email protected] wrote:Bender, So there is a determination letter out there some where? If not, should I just write the ATF ? ;)
Until a determination letter is shown I have no other choice than to assume one does not exist.
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

Wouldn't this problem also apply to Griffin's Revolution 9 & 45 cans as well? If so, that's at least 2 different manufacturers, 3 different products... Either they know what they're doing is GtG or have accepted the business risk as acceptable should it later be deemed unlawful. I simply can't imagine 2 companies being ignorant of the legalities completely and caught off guard. Does Griffin have a letter that they've shared?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BearTHIS wrote:Wouldn't this problem also apply to Griffin's Revolution 9 & 45 cans as well? If so, that's at least 2 different manufacturers, 3 different products... Either they know what they're doing is GtG or have accepted the business risk as acceptable should it later be deemed unlawful. I simply can't imagine 2 companies being ignorant of the legalities completely and caught off guard. Does Griffin have a letter that they've shared?
NO letter(s) have been shared if they even exist in regards to the allowance of modular cans.

Who says they are being ignorant?

How do you know its not a calculated risk?
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Bendersquint wrote:
BearTHIS wrote:Wouldn't this problem also apply to Griffin's Revolution 9 & 45 cans as well? If so, that's at least 2 different manufacturers, 3 different products... Either they know what they're doing is GtG or have accepted the business risk as acceptable should it later be deemed unlawful. I simply can't imagine 2 companies being ignorant of the legalities completely and caught off guard. Does Griffin have a letter that they've shared?
NO letter(s) have been shared if they even exist in regards to the allowance of modular cans.

As well as AAC's new suppressors.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

Bendersquint wrote:

I guess my wording was ambiguous, I was actually saying it might be a calculated risk.

As the poster before mentions, add AAC to group. Now that I think about it maybe OSS too. My guess is 1 or 2 additional manufacturers by the end of SHOT. That's a lot of people playing ball w/out a hall pass.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Wouldn't it be sweet if some states treated NFA Laws like weed?
Don't use them in commission of a "violent crime or crime against Person, rather than just crime against State's Authority" and they don't get inforced.
Maybe 1 day we'll get a Pres or Congress that will defund Enforcement of BS Laws. Like Obama and Holder suing AZ and other states for enforcing the Laws that Pres disagrees with. :shock:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Bendersquint wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Is anyone here leery of purchasing a Salvo due to all the skepticism regarding the "extra parts" issue?
I know at least a dozen people that want to buy it but won't until they know their investment is safe. Dozen is a small number but I think its a good idea of scale.

Yes sir I will be waiting a bit before I buy one. I do want one too, but I remember a while back even you said that the ATF would not approve a modular design.