1st CAN .....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

NuBee

1st CAN .....

Post by NuBee »

Need input on my 1st can. The can is going on a RRA LAR-8 7.62 & will stay on the gun. The set up will ONLY be used for whitetail, pigs, & coyote. I am looking for, in order of importance:
1. Sound Reduction
2. Lightweight
3. Accuracy
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1st CAN .....

Post by jdasilva »

Heres a few options. My personal favorite is the SWR Specwar 762 but it doesn't qualify as lightweight lol

SILENCERCO HARVESTER / WEIGHT: 11.3 OZ / AVG SOUND LEVEL: .223 REM – 134.9 dB .308 WIN – 136.4 dB 300 WM – 138.3 dB
http://www.silencerco.com/products/harvester/

AAC 300-TM / WEIGHT: 15 OZ / SOUND REDUCTION: 28-33dB
http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-TM_p_444.html

YHM 4300-TI .30 CAL ULTRA LIGHT TACTICAL / WEIGHT: 13 OZ / SOUND REDUCTION: up to 39dB
http://yhm.net/30-cal-ultra-light-tactical.html

THUNDER BEAST 30P-1/30PS / WEIGHT: 17 OZ/13 OZ / SOUND REDUCTION: 30P-1 is 2db less than PS
30PS https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30ps
30P-1 https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1

DEALERS:
CAPITOL ARMORY http://www.capitolarmory.com/suppressor ... 8-6mm.html
SILENCER SHOP http://www.silencershop.com/shop/catego ... 2mm-rifle/
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I have the 300TM and it is pretty much perfect for your requirements, otherwise the Harvester is right up there as long as you aren't into mag dumps. The Harvester has more mounting options and is quite a bit less expensive.

The 300TM on my 16" 308 bolt rifle is incredibly quiet and accuracy improved, although I had a pretty big POI shift.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Since this is for a 7.62 AR, really consider getting a can with Stellite or Inconel baffle material.

This isn't for a bolt gun, so you should account for the potential faster rates of fire. Even if you think you won't.
NuBee

Post by NuBee »

Thanks, fellas. All three cans are on my short list. The other can I was looking at is the Gemtech Quicksand.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

I have had a quicksand for maybe 3 years now and I regret my purchase. The can wiggles more than I think it should on all of my mounts. POI shift is a little much. All in all the can kinda sucks. And its way too expensive. I am going to get another 30 cal can when I have more money.
Sandoval

Post by Sandoval »

NuBee, I have a LAR-8 that I use for pig hunting, and I also have a brand new Thunder Beast 30P-1 which I finally tried out last week. My reviews are mixed on the setup, but not because of the can itself.

First, the 30P-1 does exactly what it's supposed to do. While it does quiet down the report of the 308 it is still not safe to shoot without hearing protection due to the sonic crack. But it does quiet things down enough to hear the impact of your bullet against the berm at 100m while wearing a Howard Leight Impact Sport. My buddy stood a few yards away and said it sounded like a .22 long rifle, but that's because of the sonic crack of the bullet. I don't know if there was any POI shift because I was also sighting in a new Leupold scope with the suppressor on. Once sighted in I was happy with POI consistency.

Second, the suppressor makes for an incredibly dirty rifle after even one shot. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but after a few years of lurking here and other places I never got the idea that shooting a suppressed AR caused such a dirty rifle so quickly. The increased pressure from the can forced an unbelievable amount of gas back into the receiver. After each shot, smoke curled out from the bottom of the magazine and from the trigger pin holes in the receiver. Visual checks of the mag confirmed the next round to chamber gets VERY dirty from the gun gas which eventually led to 3 FTFs in the first mag. My RRA had been consistently reliable up to this point using the same ammo, so we quit after one full mag (20 rounds).

The good news: I never felt any blowback across my face, although my left-handed shooting buddy noted some gas blow-by on his right cheek when he shot it. I also did not perceive any excessive recoil nor did I find any broken BCG parts afterwards. Before I bought my 30P-1, I did lots of research on the internet about suppressors and using them on a LAR-8. From that, I've read that LAR-8's have had some instances of breaking BCGs when shooting suppressed, but because the instances were so few the reports didn't stop me from trying it as a host. (Don't bother emailing RRA for info or advice to mitigate - their reply email curtly advised me to work with my suppressor company. And no, they don't make or sell adjustable gas blocks to address the obvious over-gas issue.)

Once home, I broke down the rifle to give it a good cleaning which it desperately needed. The BCG was filthy (including the entire firing pin) and needed complete dismantling. We used the same ammo we've always plinked with and never had the rifle get this dirty even with 100+ rounds being fired in one session.

I've had some time to reflect on my experience and as a result I'm not sure I'm going to put my suppressor on the LAR-8 again for 2 reasons: First, I'm not a big fan of cleaning my ARs after just 20 rounds. Second, there is no suppressor which will keep the pigs from knowing you're shooting at them with a 308. Whether you're shooting suppressed or not, those pigs are gonna RUN after the first shot! So I'm asking myself "What's the point of pig hunting suppressed?" if they run anyway and I end up with an excessively dirty gun? The only reason I can think of is that it might not wake the neighbors up when hunting late at night.

For solutions, I am looking at other options. One is to have one of my .30 caliber rifles threaded for the suppressor. I have a few bolt guns I could use, but follow-on shots are slow. I also have a bubba'd (scoped) 30-30 Win I bought for cheap that would also provide follow-on shot capability. And then there's the most expensive option: buy a 300BLK piston upper to solve the filth and sonic crack issues. Not sure which way I'm going to go yet, but I can tell you I probably won't be shooting with a can on my LAR-8 any time soon.

That's my 2 cents, NuBee. Good luck with your project!

Sandoval
NuBee

Post by NuBee »

Thanks, Sandoval, for such an insightful post. Very eye opening.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

You can do mag dumps with the harvester, just not multiple in a row. Mine cools down in less than 2 minutes after a mag dump. But I stand by the Specwar as the King of 762, for now
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

300-TM if you can get it
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

jdasilva wrote:You can do mag dumps with the harvester, just not multiple in a row. Mine cools down in less than 2 minutes after a mag dump. But I stand by the Specwar as the King of 762, for now

I was just going by SilencerCo's recommendation of 10 shots per minute maximum. I agree the Specwar is a really awesome can, I use mine a lot on my piston 308 AR. The piston drive runs significantly cleaner than DI.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

my goal is to have all my ARs converted to piston by the end of the year. So far I have one in 556 & one in 545. They both suppress better than DI with the adams arms gas block suppressor setting
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I Would go Liberty Victory or the Victory Magnum. Quiet as you can get..And should you decide to use if for .223..It beats the Torch which is the quietest 223 can I've ever heard. I have both and honestly the Magnum is not needed..So overbuilt for something so light its insane. I had a full house 308 round blow up in my Victory when my SOT stuck it on a 308 not threaded properly..Not even a mark was left on the can..just rattled out lead and copper..

I only bring up 223 because what you think now you will only use it for will change.. :lol:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Chondro wrote:I Would go Liberty Victory or the Victory Magnum. Quiet as you can get..And should you decide to use if for .223..It beats the Torch which is the quietest 223 can I've ever heard. I have both and honestly the Magnum is not needed..So overbuilt for something so light its insane. I had a full house 308 round blow up in my Victory when my SOT stuck it on a 308 not threaded properly..Not even a mark was left on the can..just rattled out lead and copper..

I only bring up 223 because what you think now you will only use it for will change.. :lol:
Chondro?? I haven't seen you post in forever.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012