Antifreeze

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kudu40

Antifreeze

Post by Kudu40 »

Has anyone here used automobile Antifreeze/Coolant for a suppressor coolant?
If so, what were your opinions?
Thanks,

Kudu40
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Re: Antifreeze

Post by mpallett »

Kudu40 wrote:Has anyone here used automobile Antifreeze/Coolant for a suppressor coolant?
Thanks,

Kudu40

Other than it being highly toxic, esp if you drink it, why?
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

mpallett wrote:
Kudu40 wrote:Has anyone here used automobile Antifreeze/Coolant for a suppressor coolant?
Thanks,

Kudu40

Other than it being highly toxic, esp if you drink it, why?
+1
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I tried several differnt things as coolant when I made my micro suppressors, antifreeze wasn't one of them. Everything I used had some amount of blow back that would hit you in the face - I wouldn't want antifreeze in my face

Wire pulling gel was hard to beat
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

How about Froglube paste? Smells good, and you can literally eat that stuff :P
MattMan

Post by MattMan »

Why would you consider that?
killjoythedestroyer

Post by killjoythedestroyer »

rimshaker wrote:How about Froglube paste? Smells good, and you can literally eat that stuff :P
When I use froglube in my octane suppressors it smells sickly sweet and almost nauseating. I wish it smelled minty fresh as it comes from the little jar!
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Propylene glycol is actually quite safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_ ... _in_Humans

"Serious toxicity generally occurs at plasma concentrations over 4 g/L in, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time"
MattMan

Post by MattMan »

Fulmen wrote:Propylene glycol is actually quite safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_ ... _in_Humans

"Serious toxicity generally occurs at plasma concentrations over 4 g/L in, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time"
So is DDT in relation to human health, but I wouldn't pour it down my can, lol.
Just ribbing you man no offense. Just a funny topic.

"The majority of studies suggest DDT is not directly genotoxic.[59][60][61] The DDT metabolite DDE acts as an antiandrogen, but not as an estrogen. p,p'-DDT, DDT's main component, has little or no androgenic or estrogenic activity.[62] The minor component o,p'-DDT has weak estrogenic activity.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Not even if it cut the sound in half? C'mon, be honest now. We'd all wipe out the pandas if it meant better suppression :mrgreen:

Honestly I wouldn't be afraid to use propylene glycol in a can, neither for my own or the cans sake. Even if you suck the fumes from the can (to each his own and all that) you won't be exposed to any amounts that can be considered harmful. From wiki: 12 rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I prefer hydrochloric acid as an ablative.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Fulmen wrote:Not even if it cut the sound in half? C'mon, be honest now. We'd all wipe out the pandas if it meant better suppression :mrgreen:

Honestly I wouldn't be afraid to use propylene glycol in a can, neither for my own or the cans sake. Even if you suck the fumes from the can (to each his own and all that) you won't be exposed to any amounts that can be considered harmful. From wiki: 12 rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.
:) :) :)

Thank you for this very funny ... but true ... capturing of noble passion.

A wonderfully laughing way to kick start a recovery from the traveling " New England
Bubonic Plague" virus that has struck nearly as many folks as the ineptitude
and deliberate venomously destructive progressive politicians.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Fulmen wrote:Not even if it cut the sound in half? C'mon, be honest now. We'd all wipe out the pandas if it meant better suppression :mrgreen:

:) :) :)

Thank you for this very funny ... but true ... capturing of noble passion.

A wonderfully laughing way to kick start a recovery from the traveling " New England
Bubonic Plague" virus that has struck nearly as many folks as the ineptitude
and deliberate venomously destructive progressive politicians.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I agree. I wanted to post something similar, but this Site kept logging me out and claiming "This board is currently disabled."
So instead, I'll post this sarcastic reply w actual links.?! "TX Oncology Doc uses Antifreeze for coffee sweetener."
------------------------------------
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-doctor-a ... d=19356031
"A prominent Houston oncologist is accused of attempting to poison a colleague whom she was dating by lacing his coffee with a chemical used in antifreeze.

Dr. Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo, 42, was charged with aggravated assault of a family member after she allegedly put ethylene glycol, often found in antifreeze, into a cup of coffee and served it to Dr. George Blumenschein at her Houston home in January, ABC station KTRK-TV in Houston reported.

When Blumenschein, who reportedly preferred his coffee black, asked Gonzalez-Angulo why the coffee tasted sweet, she told him she put Splenda in it, KTRK-TV reported. When he asked her for a fresh cup, she allegedly told him to finish the coffee she gave him before serving him another cup, which tasted just as sweet.

KTRK-TV reported that Blumenschein experienced slurred speech, poor balance and loss of fine motor skills approximately four hours after drinking the poisoned coffee. He was hospitalized after 16 hours, and doctors determined he was experiencing central nervous system depression, cardiopulmonary complications and renal failure.

RELATED: "Cyanide Poisoned Doctor's Husband a Person of Interest," Lawyer Says.
---------------------------------------
http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/5 ... doctor.htm "...Ethylene glycol is an odorless, colorless, synthetic liquid. Used mainly as an antifreeze agent in heating and cooling systems, ethylene glycol is a multipurpose chemical and can also found in hydraulic brake fluids, detergents, paints and even cosmetics. The chemical is also poisonous if swallowed.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, when someone is exposed to large quantities of ethylene glycol, usually by ingesting it, the chemical weakens the body in three stages. First, ethylene glycol poisoning causes central nervous system depression, which decreases the breathing rate, heart rate and can lead to loss of consciousness. A person with acute exposure to ethylene glycol can show symptoms of vomiting, drowsiness, convulsions and gastrointestinal upset.

Next, the body experiences cardiopulmonary effects, and then later renal damage, which leads to kidney failure."
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

I agree. I wanted to post something similar, but this Site kept logging me out and claiming "This board is currently disabled."
So instead, I'll post this sarcastic reply w actual links.?! "TX Oncology Doc uses Antifreeze for coffee sweetener."
"A prominent Houston oncologist is accused of attempting to poison a colleague whom she was dating by lacing his coffee with a chemical used in antifreeze.

Dr. Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo, 42, was charged with aggravated assault of a family member after she allegedly put ethylene glycol, often found in antifreeze, into a cup of coffee and served it to Dr. George Blumenschein at her Houston home in January, ABC station KTRK-TV in Houston reported.

When Blumenschein, who reportedly preferred his coffee black, asked Gonzalez-Angulo why the coffee tasted sweet, she told him she put Splenda in it, KTRK-TV reported. When he asked her for a fresh cup, she allegedly told him to finish the coffee she gave him before serving him another cup, which tasted just as sweet.

KTRK-TV reported that Blumenschein experienced slurred speech, poor balance and loss of fine motor skills approximately four hours after drinking the poisoned coffee. He was hospitalized after 16 hours, and doctors determined he was experiencing central nervous system depression, cardiopulmonary complications and renal failure.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/5 ... doctor.htm "...Ethylene glycol is an odorless, colorless, synthetic liquid. Used mainly as an antifreeze agent in heating and cooling systems, ethylene glycol is a multipurpose chemical and can also found in hydraulic brake fluids, detergents, paints and even cosmetics. The chemical is also poisonous if swallowed.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, when someone is exposed to large quantities of ethylene glycol, usually by ingesting it, the chemical weakens the body in three stages. First, ethylene glycol poisoning causes central nervous system depression, which decreases the breathing rate, heart rate and can lead to loss of consciousness. A person with acute exposure to ethylene glycol can show symptoms of vomiting, drowsiness, convulsions and gastrointestinal upset.

Next, the body experiences cardiopulmonary effects, and then later renal damage, which leads to kidney failure."
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

I see that I triple posted.
It sure would be nice if Site Admin would get "This Board is currently disabled" problem fixed!!!!
It's driving users away.
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I see that I triple posted.
It sure would be nice if Site Admin would get "This Board is currently disabled" problem fixed!!!!
It's driving users away.
Yes please fix the "This Board is currently disabled" problem !!!!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

cyclone72 wrote:I prefer hydrochloric acid as an ablator.
FIFY
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

They make more environmentally friendly coolants/anit-freeze. Like this one.

http://www.hoodchemical.com/corn-glycol.html
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Abiqua wrote:
cyclone72 wrote:I prefer hydrochloric acid as an ablator.
FIFY
TY
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Hope this is not automatically double posted:

1944, Red Skeleton very funny Radio commedian:

" I took my auntie riding in a cold and icy breeze
I put her in the rumble seat* to watch my Auntie-Freeze
"

* << http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1932-plym ... -coupe.htm >>
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Thanks,

Kudu40
That's one hell of a first post... :roll:
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

Seems like we are getting our chemistry crossed....

Propylene glycol is very safe and is used in skin care products, drugs, e cigarettes, and food additives. The chemical is metabolized rapidly and through normal body functions. Toxicity is practically impossible 5 rough inhalation or consumption.

Ethylene glycol is much more dangerous. Toxic levels can be easily reached and the metabolic break down of it produces a toxin. Do not use it I my opinion.

Glycerin is also used as an anti freeze. It is very safe and metabolizes in the human body safely. It is used as a presevative, food additive, sugar substitute...... it is hydroscopic and will reach a steady state with absorbed water around 20%.

Water is the best liquid i know off for a "wet" can. That being said the clearglide wire puller product or others like it are very.good options. They are 98% water by weight and typically have additives that are not toxic at all. You have to check each products MSDS for details. Aqua glide and aqua glide cw work too....the cw stands for cold . weather and it stays in a gel state to 30 below zero I think...though it has less water and more additives to do this.
There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives. --
William W. Hughes

Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants-- William W. Hughes
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Water is good, but it tends to slosh around. That's why people prefer a Gel, Li Soap, Grease.
I'd love to find a low density gel full of low surface tension bubbles that easily break when contacted by solids, yet resist gases. That way it would act as a "wipe" by allowing the bullet to pass w/o deflection, yet help retain the gas. The punctured volume would be replaced by bubbles just after bullet passage.
Other threads have worked on foam metals and high density neoprene wipes. How about a low density self-healing elastomer?