Which would you choose for your .22?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

11C1P

Which would you choose for your .22?

Post by 11C1P »

Based on the order of criteria below, what suppressor would you get for a 22LR? This would be mainly for a pistol. Also note that a criteria is lower on the list, it doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. For instance if a suppressor is 1db quieter and all other things are equal, the quieter suppressor is twice the price shouldn't justify it getting a higher rating. By all means list more than one if you can't decide.

1. Durability
2. Ease of maintenance/cleaning
3. Suppression level
4. Weight
5. Cost.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which would you choose for your .22?

Post by MJF1911 »

The outright winner for all of your criteria is the SilencerCo Spectre II.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Basically Sparrow or Spectre II.

Sparrow for the win since it breaks down into just 5 pieces.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Elite Iron 6" Echo,you can shoot 22lr and 22mag.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

SiCo Spectre II and build a Form 1 can while you're waiting for it...
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

jehu wrote:Elite Iron 6" Echo,you can shoot 22lr and 22mag.
So you feel the echo is better enough in the other areas to make up for it's fairly significant weight increase?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Spectre II meets all your criteria, and almost in order. It's not as bad weight wise on a pistol as I would have thought either. If price is really your last consideration, then I would suggest the Element 2. It's outstanding on a pistol.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

I was one finger twitch away from ordering a Specter 2 when I discovered that with shotshow recently, many of the manufacturers are bringing out the I-Phone 9. whatever versions of their cans. And some altogether new ones. Liberty has the new Regulator boasting some crazy numbers. AAC has a new stainless Prodigy, which has always been a stellar performer. And I heard a rumor that Silencerco will bring out a new 22 can in 2015. I know Specter 2 is THE $300 can to beat, but I'm now going to wait and see what pops up.
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

chickenlips wrote:I was one finger twitch away from ordering a Specter 2 when I discovered that with shotshow recently, many of the manufacturers are bringing out the I-Phone 9. whatever versions of their cans. And some altogether new ones. Liberty has the new Regulator boasting some crazy numbers. AAC has a new stainless Prodigy, which has always been a stellar performer. And I heard a rumor that Silencerco will bring out a new 22 can in 2015. I know Specter 2 is THE $300 can to beat, but I'm now going to wait and see what pops up.
When are they supposed to come out? I don't want to wait 6 months for something that might come out, and hopefully be better, then wait another 6-8 months for the papers to clear.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Still have yet to see a product as effective as the internal clamshell design on the Sparrow.

Other 22 cans are designed well also, but their tubes are still completely exposed to carbon/lead buildup inside, whether it's a monocore or individual baffles.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

That's the problem, new cans may take a few months to hit the shops and Specters and Sparrows are in stock now at Silencer Shop. I already have a 22 can so I can afford to wait. Liberty and AAC are supposed to be shipping on form 3 now. That means 3-6 weeks out till they hit dealer shelves. Sparrow is super easy to clean, but has a noticeably loud FRP on a pistol. Sweet on a rifle.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I'm really liking my Surefire Ryder 22A. Certainly not the cheapest on the market, but it meets the other criteria hands down.
- change it back -
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

Weight is the Least important to me in a .22 silencer.

Next least important is cost. The hassle to get the tax stamp makes spending more money worth while.

My Order of importance.
1. Durability: Due to the hassle of getting the tax stamp.
2. Suppression level: I can live with the few DB differences between the models.
3. Ease of maintenance/cleaning: I won't be using it enough for this to become an issue.
4. Cost: Get it Right the first time so that you don't have to pay that tax stamp again.
5. Weight: Would only become an issue over a long shooting session.
Impeach Obama for violating the Constitution.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

How truly wrong you are on #3. If you plan to shoot more than, say, 1,000 rounds of .22LR ammo through your silencer in its lifetime, ease of cleaning/maintenance needs to become substantially more important to you. If you can live with the few dB difference between models, then maintenance should clearly be higher than #2 on your list.

Frankly, any of the current market leaders would fill your requirements fairly well. They include the AAC Element 2, SiCo Sparrow, SiCo Spectre 2, Liberty Regulator, and others. I did it the fun way and bought all of them.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

There are two factors making me less price sensitive over other qualities. The tax stamp is a big one. I also have a Marlin 880SQ that was threaded ½-28TPI. So a pistol can on that will work great.

Weight is an important issue in that I'm after a can for a Walther P22. I don't want to feel like I have a massive lump on the muzzle.

Durability is important for the tax stamp thing. Also, I don't see why such a device should ever wear out short of abuse.

So that seems to make my list of criteria:

1) Suppression level (1 or 2 db overlap is a tie)
2) Durability
3) Ease of cleaning
4) Weight
5) Cost

I've gotten some good recommendations. I should also make clear though that cost as the lowest rank doesn't mean cost isn't important. I actually am on a budget. The AAC Element 2 seems to require some justification over a cheaper can. Even so, I'm considering it still. I would say that it is likely to be the most expensive can I would consider.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Trust us.... for 22LR cans, ease of cleaning/maintenance should be #1 on any list. No lower than #2 that's for sure.

And that implies only getting cans with a stainless steel core/baffles. The Sparrow and Spectre even go a step further and actually protect the tube from any lead/carbon fouling inside. Meaning easy disassembly even after very high round counts.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The primary justifications for the element are that it is much lighter than many competitors, and that it is quieter on a pistol than many competitors. That being said, you can find deals on them. I bought mine for less than SilencerShop's price on the Sparrow.
jrodicus

Post by jrodicus »

Conqueror wrote:The primary justifications for the element are that it is much lighter than many competitors, and that it is quieter on a pistol than many competitors. That being said, you can find deals on them. I bought mine for less than SilencerShop's price on the Sparrow.
Not sure when I'll be ready to actually purchase a 22 can, but the Element II and the Sparrow SS are both high on the list. Personally, I'd give up tool-less dis-assembly for a quieter can. The Element II is supposed to be super quiet, and it's super light which to me is a big plus when using on a pistol.

It sounds to me like the ultrasonic bath is one of the best/safest methods for cleaning too, and that means a full stainless construction would be important.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Ultrasonic bath will take the finish off most parts with Cerakote or the like, FYI.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

I like the description of the Element II on the AAC site. I just hope my local shop has a lower than MSRP price on it.

Is it safe to use a press to push out the baffles if it gets too dirty? What other method would be recommended?

My AWC Raider probably needs cleaning. I have no clue how to do that. It can't be taken apart because it is welded together.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Clearly those that remember me will know it will be the Kodiak, Kodiak TL or Essence. Aside from quietest on any host (and I have every .22 threaded you can think of) The most important feature is lack of blowback. I have 3 Kodiak TL's, 2 Kodiaks and 2 Essences. All I shoot in full auto on my M16 is rimfire. Not possible to even consinder with other cans unless you want to stop and clean the host. I have other 22 cans including the sparrow..I got that to demo against the Kodiak family. Its louder for the first 3 shots than my Mystic is with 9mm. But in testing the Sparrow shut down my Ruger after 60 rounds so never got to do the video I was going for that day. (I have at least two Rugers and was going to do a side by side with a TL and both had thousands of rounds through them) That can just sits on a little Walther TPH in my car now if I have to put down something hit by a car.
Because I don't care if I lose that one. Its not something I would use at the range.

I have an intergral Ruger and after 30 shots it looks like wet cat litter is in the action. It is horrible but I had to have it and couldn't pass on one that was made from a 10 inch bull barrel and still in the original box..A 10 inch box....Something my SOT found in his safe and I got for 750..No way I would pass on that! What cracks me up is the baffles are from the 60's and quiet as you could ask for..No creativity at all..

The TL fits your bill exactly..If you don't like the front go Essence..The Regulator with the design change in baffle design I find it impossible for it to have the lack of blowback..

You may end up shooting way more than you think as it allows you to shoot in areas you never thought of..Or you could stick it in the safe and just talk about it like most of my SOT's customers do. Somehow owning cans for years not used gives you that many years of experience..I prefer loading or in the case of rimfire (buying) and shooting the piss outa them.. :lol:

Just giving you some other things to think on. I woudn't pay a stamp for a free 22 can except from Liberty..

Hope this makes sense in a real hurry..I've got pics..vids..and shot well over a 100,000 rounds of CCI standard with them..Look at those sexy cores in my Avatar.. :mrgreen:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

So any changes on thoughts over the last year as to the best 22 cans?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Dead Air Mask and Ruger Silent-SR seem to be exciting peeformers that are decent in weight and easy to clean designs
wassman

Post by wassman »

Pick one that can be cleaned with a ultrasonic cleaner. Cleaning cans by hand suk big time especially a dirty 22lr can. After having one that can be cleaned via ultrasonic I rarely use my ALU cans. Now I specifically look for ones for easier cleaning.

Also stay away from those shortie cans that must be shot only wet. That sux too having to keep charging the can every few rounds.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

I love my Sparrow and it can take .22MAG and 5.7.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.