Why not more threaded barrel makers?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Why not more threaded barrel makers?

Post by hardcase »

Something very frustrating to me is the lack of threaded barrels available to commonly marketed handguns. I'm no machinist but it would seem with modern computerized technology turning out a threaded barrel wouldn't be that hard, or even turning out a barrel to be fitted and threaded by a local gunsmith. ATF doesn't have to be involved.

I'm in the market for a threaded barrel for my Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Bar-stow makes them only once a year, and at $330.00 per. EFK makes them but has a lackluster reputation. I'll probably still get one from them and have fitting work done locally if needed. My EFK for my .40 S&W worked fine. Maybe I just got lucky.

Another example, I have a Kahr PM 9. They make a P9 barrel that looks to be the same thing only longer but Kahr won't give me deminsion/specs for the P9 barrel. I can buy one from them but they won't say one way or the other if it is just a longer version of the PM9.

There are many .380s, 9mm and 40 S&W that look to be pretty simple.

With threaded barrels going for 2-3 hundred dollars, why not more barrel makers? They wouldn't even have to thread it. This could be done at a local gun shop.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why not more threaded barrel makers?

Post by propeine »

I'll give you a dumb reason because I looked into it once. Likely NOT the industry reason though.

A standard barrel blank doesn't have enough meat on it to cut the locking lugs typically. I'm sure that there are barrel blank makers out there producing large diameters but if I look at the usual places I look for barrels (for rifles), the diameter of an unturned blank can't be turned into a pistol barrel without welding on the lugs. I have thought of some ways around it but never bothered to pursue it further.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I have always thought the same thing. Another reason, I think is some people just don't care. Have you ever posted a question to a forum like, "where can I get a threaded barrel for [x handgun]?" and you get a bunch of replies like, "why would you want that?" or "what do you need to suppress that for?" I always want to reply, "because I want to, you effing jerk." But seriously, I think apathy on the part of other gun owners and manufacturers plays into it. Can anyone honestly say, if they offered threaded barrels for Ruger P380s, they wouldn't buy one? But ask online about threaded barrels for those guns and you get, "why?" Because a-holes, because. I would seriously silence every damn gun I owned if it was possible.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

Prince Yamato wrote:I have always thought the same thing. Another reason, I think is some people just don't care. Have you ever posted a question to a forum like, "where can I get a threaded barrel for [x handgun]?" and you get a bunch of replies like, "why would you want that?" or "what do you need to suppress that for?" I always want to reply, "because I want to, you effing jerk." But seriously, I think apathy on the part of other gun owners and manufacturers plays into it. Can anyone honestly say, if they offered threaded barrels for Ruger P380s, they wouldn't buy one? But ask online about threaded barrels for those guns and you get, "why?" Because a-holes, because. I would seriously silence every damn gun I owned if it was possible.
The question is how much would you pay for one? The first one is expensive on a cnc. The thousandth not so much.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I'll confess my ignorance about machine shop equipment. I wouldn't know a CNC machine if it fell on me.

I suppose the root of my question is for someone who has one there is a market coming into being with more and more cans sold and more states allowing their use hunting. Possibly even an international market. If the machinist already had insurance and a building, etc.

I have a Walther P22. It has nothing more than a threaded barrel extension, not a whole barrel, that I attach my can to. It is more like an extension. Take my Kahr PM 9 as an example (even though they are not that popular, just as example), thread the original barrel, thread on an extension, and you should have a suppressor ready barrel, using a booster for the can. Probably wouldn't even need a CNC machine for this type adapter/extension.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

https://www.tornado-technologies.com/

Those guys do exactly what you're talking about.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

hardcase wrote:I have a Walther P22. It has nothing more than a threaded barrel extension, not a whole barrel, that I attach my can to. It is more like a female to male extension. Take my Kahr PM 9 as an example (even though they are not that popular, just as example), thread the original barrel, thread on an extension, and you should have a suppressor ready barrel, using a booster for the can. Probably wouldn't even need a CNC machine for this type adapter/extension.
This is already done all the time, we have done them, Adco, Tornado and a number of other shops as well.

Silencers are increasing in popularity but they are still avery niche very small aspect of the shooting community....in time more companies will offer them but it will take some time.
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Well looks like Zev Tech and Surefire have teamed up for threaded barrels:
SOURCE: SSD

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/01/20/sh ... /#comments
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

One reason some guns arent done at all is the barrel wont fit into the slide. The S&W MP45 midsize is like this. I have read of a few guys getting it to work without opening up the opening in the slide, but most guys just give up.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rjacobs wrote:One reason some guns arent done at all is the barrel wont fit into the slide. The S&W MP45 midsize is like this. I have read of a few guys getting it to work without opening up the opening in the slide, but most guys just give up.
EVERYTHING can have a threaded barrel....it just a matter of how much time/money someone wants to invest in it.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

Bendersquint wrote: EVERYTHING can have a threaded barrel....it just a matter of how much time/money someone wants to invest in it.
Yea, I guess you are right. Im not personally willing to make, what I would consider, a major modification to a slide just to get a threaded barrel to work. I would(and did) sell the gun and move into something a little more friendly.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rjacobs wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: EVERYTHING can have a threaded barrel....it just a matter of how much time/money someone wants to invest in it.
Yea, I guess you are right. Im not personally willing to make, what I would consider, a major modification to a slide just to get a threaded barrel to work. I would(and did) sell the gun and move into something a little more friendly.
You don't need to modify the slide to be able to thread the barrel, just means you are working with the wrong gunsmith! ;)
Santander

Post by Santander »

I would sooo buy an Osprey if I could only find a threaded barrel for my XD-9, or my CZ75B, or even my Hi-Power.
:-(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Santander wrote:I would sooo buy an Osprey if I could only find a threaded barrel for my XD-9, or my CZ75B, or even my Hi-Power.
:-(
So why don't you just have your barrel extended and threaded?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

hardcase wrote: Another example, I have a Kahr PM 9. They make a P9 barrel that looks to be the same thing only longer but Kahr won't give me deminsion/specs for the P9 barrel. I can buy one from them but they won't say one way or the other if it is just a longer version of the PM9.
The P9 barrel will NOT work in the PM9... A buddy at the LGS let me try a P9 barrel out of one of their store guns, and the two are not even close dimensionally. Wish they were.

For information's sake, two that WILL interchange the standard length to the compact length are the Walther P99 to P99C, and the XDm9 to XDm9 3.8