New SIG 762 can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: New SIG 762 can

Post by Conqueror »

whiterussian1974 wrote:The original purpose of the tapered shape and holes was to create a coaxial space to bleed the blast chamber into.
Not really, the "whistle holes" are a flash reduction feature, not a faux reflex chamber. That said, clearly the Sig can isn't using this system, so having it tapered there seems kind of weird. I guess it's basically the result of removing the tube from a core design Kevin knows well.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Conqueror wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:The original purpose of the tapered shape and holes was to create a coaxial space to bleed the blast chamber into.
Not really, the "whistle holes" are a flash reduction feature, not a faux reflex chamber. That said, clearly the Sig can isn't using this system, so having it tapered there seems kind of weird. I guess it's basically the result of removing the tube from a core design Kevin knows well.
I always thought those mount holes were to access the volume behind/around the mount.

As for the Sig- it's to minimize weight in the design. These are definitely function before form, but they sound really good, and are super light. I think KB does still prefer direct-thread as there is a direct-thread version of every can. I was really impressed with the sound and feel of these at SHOT range day.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

You have more contact with AAC guys than I do, but I recall one of them telling me the specific design of that area was for flash reduction. I think there are better ways if simply accessing the volume is all you want.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Wicked wrote:Anyone else remember back in the day, there was a utube vid of Robert firing a FA mag dump (or 2 or 3) on a 5.56 suppressor core minus the outer tube to demonstrate the durability of the welded core? Looks like it may be gone now. Anyway, I remember it mostly because he was wearing this sweet Vanson leather jacket. But I did think to myself at the time, if the 'train whistle' holes in the blast chamber were omitted, the core itself would work just fine as is - and be much lighter weight without the extra tube. "Trust the Weld, Luke."

Yea, I'm pretty much a visionary.
Yeah man, I remember that jacket. That was a pretty cool jacket. I really never questioned why he was wearing it during the demo. Who says you can't conduct scientific experiments and be comfortable in cow skin. I do remember the s--t storm after wards, not about the leather but about the "full circumferential welds" and somebody else's claim that they had that as well. pretty fuckin funny if you ask me. Bold of that "company" to advertise they had FCW when they didn't, amongst a few choice other words.