hello All

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

donutslayer853

hello All

Post by donutslayer853 »

New user here, as I'm sure you can tell my user name is a comical view of my profession. Just sent off my first form 4 with a trust on 1-15-15, so I guess now we wait and see how long it's going to take. But I look forward to discussing firearms and firearms related stuff with all of you.
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Re: hello All

Post by Bradpierson26 »

What'd you buy?

I had a F4 approved two weeks ago - 104 days pending
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

I got a specwar 556K. I've looked at a lot of stuff and decided that was probably going to be the best option for what I would be using it for.
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

donutslayer853 wrote:I got a specwar 556K. I've looked at a lot of stuff and decided that was probably going to be the best option for what I would be using it for.
Awesome. I have a regular specwar 556 pending right now
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

Well an update to my journey to quiteness, my check to the atf was cashed on 1-22-15.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Welcome aboard.
The approvals are slowly getting quicker as the ATF
effectively tripled their manpower in the NFA branch.

Everyone has their own needs and wants, I get that, but I am curious, usually
first timers don't go for the 556 cans, and the K is even odder, may I ask
you reasoning behind this as your first can? Not criticizing, really curious.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

Work related. Something I can carry on duty. Small enough to be serviceable, and not blow my ears out.
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

RPM509 wrote:Welcome aboard.
Everyone has their own needs and wants, I get that, but I am curious, usually
first timers don't go for the 556 cans, and the K is even odder, may I ask
you reasoning behind this as your first can? Not criticizing, really curious.
Some people realize real quick they'll be buying a half dozen cans and want something specific.
I (I know your response wasn't directed at me) also got a screaming deal on a Specwar 556 - too good to pass up.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Oh no, I get what you're both saying. Each has there own personal or professional reasons, just curious was all.
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

Now I'm curious, is there something wrong with the suppressor I've chosen? I would have gotten a .30 cal suppressor and converted my personal AR to 300blk if my chief would have approved 300blk. Sadly he didn't, so I have to stick with 5.56 ammo and suppressors.
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

Yes I do carry my personal weapons on duty in case you were wondering. I could either carry the department issued garbage and roll the dice or carry my personal stuff and be certain they work and will work well. It's one of the downfalls of working a small town department.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

donutslayer853 wrote:Now I'm curious, is there something wrong with the suppressor I've chosen? I would have gotten a .30 cal suppressor and converted my personal AR to 300blk if my chief would have approved 300blk. Sadly he didn't, so I have to stick with 5.56 ammo and suppressors.
You submitted an Individual application with CLEO signature correct? Since when does the chief have any say on what caliber you can shoot?

Not to be a party pooper, but yea getting a 30cal silencer would've opened up a lot more caliber options in the future.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Nope, you did nothing wrong at all. You got a good caliber and a good suppressor.

My first rifle can was a 30 cal so I could shoot it on a boat-load of 30 cal and under rifles I have, more bang
(or pfffft) for the buck. The difference between a 30 cal can on a 5.56mm rifle and a 5.56 can on a 5.56 rifle
is negligable, but you can use the 30 cal can on more hosts. For me the big deciding factor was the desire
to shoot 300 Blk as quiet (more fun) as possible, but to also shoot it on my 223 and 5.56 hosts.

If you can, and desire, a suppressed 300 Blk is fantastic to shoot subs through.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

rimshaker wrote:
donutslayer853 wrote:Now I'm curious, is there something wrong with the suppressor I've chosen? I would have gotten a .30 cal suppressor and converted my personal AR to 300blk if my chief would have approved 300blk. Sadly he didn't, so I have to stick with 5.56 ammo and suppressors.
You submitted an Individual application with CLEO signature correct? Since when does the chief have any say on what caliber you can shoot?

Not to be a party pooper, but yea getting a 30cal silencer would've opened up a lot more caliber options in the future.

He is planning on using it while on duty. ;-)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

Ok, so a little status update. My form 4 was sent out on the 16th and check was cashed on the 22nd of January. I know that doesn't lend much insight into time frames but it does let me know they at least have my paperwork somewhere up there. I got to put a few rounds through the 556k this afternoon before work. I can honestly say I'm impressed. it was better than what I was expecting. it's lighter and shorter than the huntertown kestrel 556 and just as quiet. I use that example because that is a suppressor I've put rounds down range with. i know people talk about how much louder the 556k is supposed to be. But honestly it was pleasant to shoot, had a little gas blowback but that is to be expected with an AR gas system. But first trigger time impressions.... I'm pleased.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

donutslayer853 wrote:..I got to put a few rounds through the 556k this afternoon before work. I can honestly say I'm impressed. it was better than what I was expecting. it's lighter and shorter than the huntertown kestrel 556 and just as quiet...
I think you made a great choice, SiCo makes a great can. And if you're anything like me, you'll have bought another can before your first one comes in anyhow. :lol:
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

quiettime wrote:
donutslayer853 wrote:..I got to put a few rounds through the 556k this afternoon before work. I can honestly say I'm impressed. it was better than what I was expecting. it's lighter and shorter than the huntertown kestrel 556 and just as quiet...
I think you made a great choice, SiCo makes a great can. And if you're anything like me, you'll have bought another can before your first one comes in anyhow. :lol:

I already would have, but kids are expensive and wives don't understand the passion for silence.....
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent Operator

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

donutslayer853 wrote:
quiettime wrote:

I already would have, but kids are expensive and wives don't understand the passion for silence.....
I'm not due to get married until May, but i have already figured out that women don't appreciate silence...half the time i need EarPro at home...
It's always the quiet guy in the room...with a suppressor.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

What the wife don't know can't hurt you. :-)

Seriously though, the Specwar K is an excellent choice for a duty weapon. It will keep the noise manageable while not being cumbersome.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

donutslayer853 wrote:Yes I do carry my personal weapons on duty in case you were wondering. I could either carry the department issued garbage and roll the dice or carry my personal stuff and be certain they work and will work well. It's one of the downfalls of working a small town department.

Warmest welcome, thank you for your service!

Compliments on your ensuring your for your safety by having
stopping power. You demonstrate intelligence and a
love for your family who want to see you home each and every day.

Stay safe.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Welcome.

I use one of the original 30 cal Phantom's on a personal SBR AR for duty. Have a titanium 30cal Phantom in process. IMHO, the Specwar will do what you need for duty... especially when you bail out of your cruiser and forget the earpro.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
donutslayer853

Post by donutslayer853 »

ear pro what is that? lol. Ive been doing this job for six years and cant hear s--t anyways. I couldn't resist and went the other day to shoot some more. I am definitely going to have to buy one of those gas buster charging handles. I can only taste so much shooting gunk and get so much in my eyes before I get pissed off. I also got to mess with one of his huntertown guardian 22's on a ruger 22/45 lite. he says I can get it from him for 150 plus the stamp of course. I was pretty impressed with the guardian, k baffles, cheap. wont have to gunk up my specwar putting it on my 22. Anybody have two cents or less to chime in on the guardian?