Greetings from PA - Walther P22 Barrel Extension Question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dsteuber

Greetings from PA - Walther P22 Barrel Extension Question

Post by dsteuber »

Hello. I'm new here. I recently purchased a brand new Walther P22 which includes a barrel extension and fiber optic front sight (SN# WA07XXXX).

The barrel is threaded and includes both a thread protector for the barrel and an extension that provides a larger thread and diameter. I do not know the specifications of either threads. I'm interested in an effective suppressor for the P22 that does not occlude the front sight. AAC's Element looks promising, but I'm not sure about the occlusion. I also don't know if the ½ - 28TPI matches either of the threads.

Does it? What other suppressors should I consider? I would like a durable suppressor to last a life time. I expect to do heavy plinking. Does anyone make asymmetrical suppressors that would fit the lines of the Walther slide and provide good performance and durability?

It would also be nice not to block the rail should I opt for accessories like the laser sight.

Thanks.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: Greetings from PA - Walther P22 Barrel Extension Question

Post by curtistactical »

The thread on the adapter will be 1/2-28. Feel free to check out our suppressors at curtistacical.com they come with a lifetime warranty and on the Walther P22 with standard velocity ammo meter 112db. There are a lot of suppressors out there that will fit what you are looking for just giving you more options. We adhere to a stronger suppressor during the design rather than shaving every little bit of weight out of them. Our rim fire tubes are SS instead of aluminum and the end caps and blast baffle are also SS. We come in at 1" diameter and about a half ounce heavier than most rim fire suppressors.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dsteuber wrote:Hello. I'm new here. I recently purchased a brand new Walther P22 which includes a barrel extension and fiber optic front sight (SN# WA07XXXX).

The barrel is threaded and includes both a thread protector for the barrel and an extension that provides a larger thread and diameter. I do not know the specifications of either threads. I'm interested in an effective suppressor for the P22 that does not occlude the front sight. AAC's Element looks promising, but I'm not sure about the occlusion. I also don't know if the ½ - 28TPI matches either of the threads.

Does it? What other suppressors should I consider? I would like a durable suppressor to last a life time. I expect to do heavy plinking. Does anyone make asymmetrical suppressors that would fit the lines of the Walther slide and provide good performance and durability?

It would also be nice not to block the rail should I opt for accessories like the laser sight.

Thanks.
As far as cans on the market at this time I won't recommend anything besides the Silencerco Spectre2. All heat treated construction, stronger than anything any rimfire can throw at it and one of the best warranties int he industry.

As far as cans that won't block the front sight, at this time there are none on the market that fill your need.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a Walther P22. I just got my SWR Warlock II .22 suppressor out of jail about a month ago. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it so far and have been pleased to date. It is very light in weight. Downside is it is aluminum and you have to be a bit more selective as far as cleaning solutions. It does come apart easily and individual parts are easily cleaned with a rag and kerosene. SWR indicates the sound suppression is actually a bit better if the can is not kept squeaky clean.

I also have a Liberty Mystic that is rated for .22. Of the two, I'd give the nod on perceptible quietness to my ear to the Warlock. However, this is to be suspected, from what I've read as the Mystic is a 9 mm can. The Mystic is much bigger.

I can't attest to the longevity as a new owner.

I can see over the can with the factory sights using the top of the rear sight and the top of the front sight with the Warlock II. With the Mystic, I have to sight down the barrel of the can.

My P22 came with a bottom rail mounted laser that I don't use but the can doesn't interfere with the laser.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

I would advise buying one of the many different properly machined threaded P22 adapters available. I was in one of my local gun shops a while back that also sells suppressors and they showed me how terrible the factory Walther P22 adapter is. I'm not sure whether it was it was just designed cheaply for a fake suppressor or what, but it was the worst machining I've seen in a long time... Definitely spend the extra $29 for a properly made adapter.

By the way, none of my 1" diameter .22 cans block the sights on my P22...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rill wrote:I would advise buying one of the many different properly machined threaded P22 adapters available. I was in one of my local gun shops a while back that also sells suppressors and they showed me how terrible the factory Walther P22 adapter is. I'm not sure whether it was it was just designed cheaply for a fake suppressor or what, but it was the worst machining I've seen in a long time... Definitely spend the extra $29 for a properly made adapter.

I have hands on experience with a ton of Walther P22 adapters and never seen any issue with them, all well machined and concentric.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Walther adapter.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

Thanks for the info so far. Is the adaptor on the P22 really that bad? I'm in no position to tell. I discovered it will screw smoothly into an AWC Raider. But that is far too heavy for pistol use and doesn't come apart. It's also a lot more than one inch in diameter. Either way, a better adaptor doesn't add much to the overall cost. I'm just curious how it's bad. Maybe Walther improved them since?

Targetmaster of Chadds Ford, PA is the shop I will be using (610) 459-5400. It is easiest for me if silencer makers have a business relationship with them. I know AAC does because they had a counter full of them. They also had a Silencio Sparrow. Didn't get more information than that.

This guy has a range to die for. I like the effectiveness of the suppressor he was using. I see the brand is on the industry list. The Ruger has a longer barrel, so I'm assuming it's easier to quiet and puts less load on the suppressor from muzzle blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtenI4zMwWM

Thanks again. I'll keep following this thread for a while. For better or worse, I have some time to make a decision. I can only buy one (at most) this year.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

Bendersquint wrote:
rill wrote:I would advise buying one of the many different properly machined threaded P22 adapters available. I was in one of my local gun shops a while back that also sells suppressors and they showed me how terrible the factory Walther P22 adapter is. I'm not sure whether it was it was just designed cheaply for a fake suppressor or what, but it was the worst machining I've seen in a long time... Definitely spend the extra $29 for a properly made adapter.

I have hands on experience with a ton of Walther P22 adapters and never seen any issue with them, all well machined and concentric.

I'm talking about the one's they are putting on the current P22's from the factory... Maybe it was just a bad one, but he pointed out that these new factory adapters were just not right... and the one he showed me proved that.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

I'm talking about the one's they are putting on the current P22's from the factory... Maybe it was just a bad one, but he pointed out that these new factory adapters were just not right... and the one he showed me proved that.
I see. I'm no machinist or metallurgist. If the one I have is bad, I'll be upset and buy a 3rd party adaptor.

It looks straight. I'm actually more concerned about how thin the metal is over the barrel threads. I have no clue what kind of load it can take. I didn't attempt to attach my AWC Raider to the P22. Just too heavy. I'd be afraid the whole thing would fold up.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rill wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Those are the ones I am talking about.

What did he say was wrong with them?
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

He said the new P22's he was getting with factory installed adapters were junk... The one he showed me certainly was. It was super loose and wobbly. I don't know what else to say. They never used to supply sdapters before. You had to buy one from an aftermarket supplier.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rill wrote:He said the new P22's he was getting with factory installed adapters were junk... The one he showed me certainly was. It was super loose and wobbly. I don't know what else to say. They never used to supply sdapters before. You had to buy one from an aftermarket supplier.
Did he check it with thread gages or did he just eyeball it?
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

OMG man, this was way beyond eyeball... these were shitty adapters, probably made for fake suppressors...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rill wrote:OMG man, this was way beyond eyeball... these were shitty adapters, probably made for fake suppressors...
Having dealt with Walther in regards to these adapters I am just wondering what the issue was as they are not designed for fake suppressors and all of the ones I have seen are made to spec.

Hard to post something on a site saying they are crap without anything to elaborate on what the problems were.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

With a 1" diameter suppressor your sights will be clear and you can use a factory walther laser on it.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

Bendersquint wrote:
rill wrote:OMG man, this was way beyond eyeball... these were shitty adapters, probably made for fake suppressors...
Having dealt with Walther in regards to these adapters I am just wondering what the issue was as they are not designed for fake suppressors and all of the ones I have seen are made to spec.

Hard to post something on a site saying they are crap without anything to elaborate on what the problems were.
I guess maybe it was just a bad one, you certainly have more exposure to them than I do...
armalite_ar50
Silent Operator

Post by armalite_ar50 »

Have the original SWR Spectre.
sights on the P22 are G2G and so is the laser. ironically it's also the most quite handgun out of two ruger MII's I had chopped to 4 1/2 inches.

I think the adapter was 40.00 USD for the barrel, or about that price.
Rich
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

Can confirm. There were factory adapters shipped with P22s that were threaded something odd and not concentric. The suppressor fit at like a 10 degree angle from the bore.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

Can confirm. There were factory adapters shipped with P22s that were threaded something odd and not concentric. The suppressor fit at like a 10 degree angle from the bore.
Weird. I can gauge concentricity to a point. As I said earlier, the AWC Raider for 5.56 NATO screws onto the adaptor just fine. The adaptor has a wheel on it for hand tightening. But it also has two grooves with supplied spanner to tighten it down.

OK, I stepped away in mid composition of this post. I took the slide off of the P22 and put on the adaptor and AWC Raider. The adaptor looks concentric to the barrel and was tested with a straight edge. I also viewed down the muzzle end of the suppressor and everything appeared fine. A cleaning rod goes down the entire length with no problems either. Of course, at best, that only proves that my adaptor is good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz4slgrrpyj9c ... 2.jpg?dl=0

I took a photo to show the attachment of the AWC on the P22 sans slide. The image wouldn't embed. So just click the URL.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

Since I went to so much trouble with figuring out if the adaptor on the P22 was OK, I decided (against my better judgement) to test it using my 5.56 NATO suppressor. 11 rounds of Remington Subsonic 38gr HP, rapid fire, no hearing protection. There were no malfunctions and I could see the flame coming out of the breach due to the darkness.

The noise level was freakishly low. It was quieter to my ears than when I fired ten rounds of the same ammo wearing Remington ear muffs rated for 29DNR. I supported the suppressor in my off hand and felt it warm up.

The backstop was an earth berm.

If a dedicated .22LR suppressor can match what the NATO suppressor that I bought when Clinton was still in office, I will be quite happy. I would like to eliminate aluminum threaded suppressors from consideration due to the softness of the material. I had a bad experience once cross threading a spark plug. :oops:
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

Well... I was at my local gun store today ordering a new can, and once again checked out a new P22 with a factory shipped adapter. Not only was it threaded way too small, it was also about AR length at ~.600". I don't want to start trouble, but these adapters are clearly not correct...
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I'm 100% positive there are a bad batch of factory adapter P22s. They are from late 2012 to mid 2013ish. They have a factory adapter and a fiber-optic front sight. The threads are all wonky. We received a number in when I worked at a class 3 dealer. We shipped them back to Walther.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

That's interesting, as the one I looked at today had factory adapter and fiber optic sights...
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

I wonder if Umarex screwed up and there other products that have a 8mmx75 barrel thread and they used Those adapters...
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

Hmm. The box marks my pistol as 'P22 3,42" TACTICAL HIVIZ WA'.

No idea if this is useful. I didn't measure the length of the ½-28TPI section. I simply screwed the Raider on all the way. I'll be sure to test fit a .22LR suppressor on the adaptor before I buy.