Need some education on selling a can/upgrading

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

adh

Need some education on selling a can/upgrading

Post by adh »

So I own an AAC M4-1000 on a form 4 (trust)
I bought the M4-100 right after the M4-2000 was released and since that time there are a lot more options out there.
What I'm thinking is rather than owning one 5.56 can that has limited flexibility (i.e. 223./5.56 and .22lr if I'm willing to run it) I think I'd rather go with some type of 7.62 can which I could still run 5.56 through but I could also get myself a .300BLK that I could run subsonic ammo through and cycle an AR.

So I'm considering selling the M41000 to at least partially fund a new can.
That being said, what do you suggest. Am I wasting my time selling and should just plan on getting a 2nd can?

Any idea what a fair price to ask for the M41000 would be (finish is good but has a few dings, etc. maybe about 2K rounds through it and I have 3 18tooth FH for it)

I am basically looking for a quieter set up (e.g. 300blk with a 7.62 socom mini) and I'd prefer something shorter (I understand that I can sacrifice quiet when going shorter).

Thanks

ADH
Last edited by adh on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adh

Re: Need some education on seeing a can/upgrading

Post by adh »

well....if I can edit my post I can't figure out how.....title should have said "Need some education on selling a can/upgrading" not "seeing".....f***ing apple/mac auto correct BS
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

adh wrote:well....if I can edit my post I can't figure out how.....title should have said "Need some education on selling a can/upgrading" not "seeing".....f***ing apple/mac auto correct BS
Do you see the [edit] button on the bottom right of your post? Click it and make the necessary corrections. Then save/submit.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

it's pretty rare to see used cans for sale. They're not that expensive new, $200 tax is same regardless, so if I can buy brand new latest model for under a grand, a used can would have to be pretty cheap to be worth the 6 month+ wait...

If I were you I'd start saving up and try to sell that pistol in the back of the safe or some motorcycle parts you've been saving under the workbench rather than your used can. Much easier, and you've still got a "spare" can

But you're definitely right about the .30 cal can, more versatile for sure. So you can "afford" to spend a little more for a better can since you're going to have a multi-purpose can.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I would say max of about $350 plus transfer tax.

I would just keep it, resale on used cans are low.
skyegod

Re: Need some education on selling a can/upgrading

Post by skyegod »

As well (if I am not mistaken) the double length of time wait for the stamp.
I think as an individual - you have to transfer it (form 4) to an SOT 4-6 months is what I am seeing, AND THEN - the SOT has to transfer it to the new owner 4-6 months.
So - IF that is the correct scenario - for me the double transfer wait times would take all the fun out of it.

Just my 2 cents
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

skyegod wrote:As well (if I am not mistaken) the double length of time wait for the stamp.
I think as an individual - you have to transfer it (form 4) to an SOT 4-6 months is what I am seeing, AND THEN - the SOT has to transfer it to the new owner 4-6 months.
So - IF that is the correct scenario - for me the double transfer wait times would take all the fun out of it.

Just my 2 cents
Form4 to SOT's are generally quicker than to individuals avg around 2-3 months tops.

Your scenario ONLY applies to selling over state lines, if its sold in state then it can be sold direct to the buyer and bypasses SOT involvement.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Just keep it. SWR Specwars are quieter and now cost $500, with mount included and it's a better mount than the 18T. The market will be incredibly small. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for an old M4-1000, and I even own one and like it.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]