Newb. Advice on 7.62/5.56 supressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

duntov

Newb. Advice on 7.62/5.56 supressor

Post by duntov »

I am new to suppressors and looking to learn. I have a 7.62 based AR with 18" barrel and a 16" barrel 5.56 based AR. Right now I am looking at one can that will work on both platforms. My primary use is target practice, and will be shooting both with and without the can. With that being said I am concerned about POI shift.

I have been thinking about the SilencerCo Saker 7.62 as well as the Surefire Socom 762 RC. Which one would you recommend and why? I am not set on either one, so if there are better ones I am open to that as well. Since suppressors are not exactly pocket change, and there is not a place that I have found that you can try them out; it makes the decision more complicated.
skierjt

Re: Newb. Advice on 7.62/5.56 supressor

Post by skierjt »

The omega looks unbelievable.. if it preforms as advertised. See if you could get your hands on one before settling on a saker or surefire.
Citrusdude

Post by Citrusdude »

I only have experience with the Surefire 5.56 can. I have the QD, mounted to their flash suppressor. No POI shift. Not sure if their mounts are identical on their two different calibers or if you'd have to go a different route to get the 7.62 onto the 5.56 platform.
Steve
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

You know the SF works for what you want. It is also the oldest tech and most expensive (heaviest too?)

With any others discussed I have yet to see:

CB - can off
CB - can on

5 rounds warm / fouled - can off
5 rounds warm / fouled - can on
duntov

Post by duntov »

I have talked to SilencerCo about their cans. They have said that it's not uncommon for 3" of shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. The shift will be a constant so you can adapt for it. I also talked to Surefire, and they guarantee no more than 1" shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. The mounts seem to be similar in that they are both positive and hard to put on wrong.

The downside to Surefire is the cost and no included muzzle device.

I would rather spend additional money to get a can that seems to meet the majority of what I am looking for. I have pretty much decided on Surefire since I haven't found another manufacturer that meets those requirements.
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Seeing how you can get a .30 suppressor and change a end cap for 5.56 - newer technology - materials - suppression

I would look at the Saker - 7.62 Omega - Rugged (change end cap and length) - DeadAir
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

bayonet14 wrote: I would look at the Saker - 7.62 Omega - Rugged (change end cap and length) - DeadAir
+1, I'm still a newb in all of this but I feel like maybe I got in at the right time. The industry is making shorter, lighter cans that are just as or more effective than older designs close to or even under the $1,000 mark. Seems like these are exciting times in the NFA/Suppressor world.

As far as POI shift, even the best can will suffer from non-concentric/un-square threads or improper installation of muzzle device. It would be difficult for a tire mfg to guarantee a reduction in E.T. at the drag strip when they don't have any control over what suspension is under your racecar. Something to think about...